75.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

December Angels 2013

Re: December Angels 2013

I know I am no expert but I can see their point. If the lymph nodes were clear at diagnosis, then it can't have spread any further. You are lucky.

I am one of many who it had already spread into the nodes for, so I have that fear hanging over me forever.

Her username is Kander, and I'll keep you updated.

I have a CT scan this Wednesday to take a closer look at a slightly thickened section of bone at the base of my spine. I'm sure it'll be ok as I have never felt so healthy, but there's always that nagging doubt...

SJB - that is shocking news, how awful to think you have got over treatment to have a set back like that, my thoughts are also with her,

Glad to hear everyone else is doing well though

I am not a member of facebook etc and therefore only news or information I have is whats on here.

I have never been offered any type of scan despite raising my concerns about it - but the team I was under are adament I didn't need any due to no lymph node involvement- hmmmmm, doesnt stop me worrying that they may have missed something but trying so hard to remain positive.

Take care everyone

Wyn x

Sorry, auto-correct had a field day there. Herceptin not perception!

That's great news, Jules. Please remember to keep moisturizing for another 3-4 weeks. I've stopped now. Just had a tiny bit peel under my arm - nothing else.

Most of the others are back to normal now. Unfortunately one of our original group has had a shock. Her post-treatment CT scan showed enlarged lymph nodes under her sternum. She now has to have a PET scan, and possibly be referred to a surgeon to either do a biopsy or removal of these lymph nodes - both procedures require a general anaesthetic. She has been very poorly recently as the perception has weakened her heart, so they aren't even sure if she is up to the surgery. She is one of the younger mums. I can't remember her name here. We are all quite anxious for her.

well done Jules -you'll be so glad its over. Its been quiet on here which could be a good sign that everyone has now got over active treatment and moving on.

I am thinking of going back to work in four weeks but not sure how I will cope emotionally but the sooner I get some kind of normal routine in my life the better,

Hope everyone is doing well.

Wyn x

Yayyyy!!  Rads completed this morning - feels fantastic!

I hope everyone is doing ok and starting to pick up their lives!

Jules xxx

I didn't get any mouth ulcers e 're, but I guess it just shows that your immune system is low again. Hang in there - just one more week. x

Hi Ladies

Glad to hear everyone is doing well. I am 10 rads down, 5 to go next week. Nearly there!

Has anyone had a bout of mouth ulcers? I have had them for the past few days - small but painful. Just wondered if it's another SE!!!!

Have a great weekend all.

Jules xx

Hi Angels. A quick update, it took a few days but the bite has subsided and the red area in my elbow has faded at last. I didn't go to the GP but rang my cancer nurse and she came to see me. She has given me a prescription to have in, in case I get anything like it again. Hopefully I will not need it. I am using insect repellent if there is a chance I'll get bitten.

I didn't realise teeth could be so affected by chemo. I had so many SEs but luckily my teeth seem to be ok. I'm going for a checkup next week. My dentist did give me some toothpaste with extra fluoride so perhaps that helped.

Hoping that all is quiet on here because all is well with everyone!

Hi ladies,

I also have appt with dentist next week, I haven't had tooth pain but a lot of sensitivity. I have still got the slimy feeling in my mouth and tastebuds are not completely normal yet.I have also developed a coating on my tongue ( particularly after drinking coffee !!!) and its making me gag when trying to brush it. I would remember the days when I would panic over this but it seems trivial now lol.

sending hugs

Wyn x

Petal - I hope things are improving for you today. It's so disappointing that you didn't get the treatment you needed over the weekend. 

SJB - sorry to hear about your dentist visit outcome. I went a few weeks ago and have 2 fractured teeth from the chemo, which will need to be sorted out once I am out of rads. Like you, I had horrible tooth pain particulary whilst on Tax. 

6 rads done - this morning was fine although my arm has gone very stiff. It's not easy to get it into position for rads but hopefully a bit of housework today will help!

Have a good week all,

Jules xx

I just went to the dentist to see how badly my teeth were damaged by the chemo. First chance I've had! Anyway, I have to have 2 teeth extracted as they are dead. The rest can be refilled. 

I knew it was going to be bad because of the amount of pain I had from my teeth right through the chemo, but still not looking forward to having two gaps in my mouth. 

Hi Petal,

Sorry you are having a horrible weekend, hope your GP sorts it out tomorrow, I am shocked that despite being told you may need antibiotics by a doctor and then another saying you might be fighting a low infection that you were not given anything for it, you should maybe have been a bit more persistent,you have been through enough already.

Sending hugs

Wyn x

SJB -I hope the skin stops peeling soon.

I am having a rotten weekend. My skin isn't sore but my boob is but my worry is over a mosquito bite - you've guessed it, on my affected arm!

The bite itself isn't too bad and I put antihistamine cream on it as soon as it started to react BUT I have a two-inch-long raised welt in the crook of my elbow and I felt really poorly all day yesterday. I phoned 111 and everyone was lovely and I was quickly put through to a clinician and then a doctor phoned me back and said I would probably need antibiotics so I was to go to the GP unit at my local hospital. Once there, however, I saw a pathetic doctor who wouldn't prescribe anything even though he thought I "may be fighting a low grade infection".
I slept most of the afternoon but still felt very poorly.

Today I feel a lot better in myself and the bite is no worse but the raised red bit in my elbow is still there (not itching). I do also have heat rash on my chest which I never used to get. I think I will have to wait till tomorrow to see my GP but I am worried about possible lymphoedema but there is no one to phone at weekends.

The skin under my arm started to peel yesterday (10 days after I finished rads). It's not sore because it's all still numb from the op.

Still moisturising twice a day with E45 lotion.

Wyn and Jules - excellent news from both of you! Tiredness has hit me today, probably from the heat but it has just started raining and for once I don't mind!

Hi Wyn,

That's excellent news; you must be thrilled. I am so pleased for you and at least you can start to return to something approaching normality!!!

Rads are going ok - first week done and a third of the way through. I am moisturising like it's going out of fashion and apart from feeling a bit tight, my skin is ok - thank you for all the advice Smiley Happy

Have a great weekend everyone!

Jules xx

Hi angels,

went for my follow up appt at breast clinic yesterday and they were very happy with overall treatment and outcome, scars are very neat. dont have to go back until Nov for my mammogram (year since dx) and then every year after that (Yayyyyy). She mentioned to expect pain in breast once numbness starts to disappear as the nerves have been damaged and need to repair themselves.

She also said when I see my oncologist for follow up next month I may be discharged from them and just to attend breast clinic yearly for check ups.

Jules- how is rads going remember to keep moisturising, the end is in sight x

Hope everyone is moving on and enjoying this great weather although its strange having to wear high neck clothing to cover up.

Sending hugs to everyone

Wyn x

Hi Wyn, Petal and SJB

Thank you so much for your helpful comments. It's really kind of you and I will take heed of your advice!

Will keep you posted on progress xx

Jules, I also used aqueous cream twide daily, my problem was I didn't moisturise under arm cos I thought it wouldn't be affected as i had no lymph node involvement but I was wrong and therefore burned and peeled.

I had mentioned in a previous post to moisturise this area as well as under breast as they incline to be most sensitive.

Good luck with rest of rads.

Wyn x

My hospital didn't give me any cream and didn't even ask if I was moisturising until I'd had about 10 lots of radio!

Just used my own E45 lotion throughout treatment, 3 times a day. Still doing so in case it gets sore or peels, but hasn't as yet.

I would say at least three times a day with maybe a thinner layer for before the treatment but slap lots on after and at bedtime. I took the tip to make sure I did right under my arm and under my boob as well. Eventually you will go a bit pink so you can see where to cream most. Well done, you are nearly there now!

Thanks ladies for all your kind comments. 

I had my first rads today after Herceptin No 8. All went well - it was a bit uncomfortable with my arms up for so long but fine. 

I have been given a tube of aqueous cream to use - can I ask how frequently I should do it? I asked today and the girl just said thinly, twice a day This is a different hospital to where I went for chemo/surgery, so I don't know the staff at all. Is that what everyone else did? 

Many thanks - Jules xx

Petal, I am fine now, I started to get sore the last week of rads and had some sharp pains like being nipped but staff said that breast settles after op and the rads mess it up again lol, but then it settles back down.

Its been just over two weeks since finishing and skin looks fine and very little soreness.

Wyn X

Well done, indeed, Jules! Where did you find the energy? We'll think of you having your rads. You'll be fine.

Well done, too, SJB. Losing weight isn't easy so you have achieved a lot doing it alongside all the treatment.
Even though I still have my boob (which incidentally is very sore inside after rads) I am also a bit lopsided as the operation gave it a bit of a "tuck" and it doesn't wobble the same as the other one! The nipple has kind of caved in on itself on one side so gets cream trapped around it and it's painful to get to it. I know that doesn't compare with having a mastectomy but it hard getting used to our new body shape, isn't it? Good luck with your fitting and do let us know how you get on.

Wyn, are you still sore? I know the SEs of rads will subside over the next couple of weeks but I am also sore inside when I do the exercises. I am still persevering with those as I was told rads can tighten things up again and I will go back to physio this week so hopefully I will get some good advice.
I celebrated last week with a special birthday tea with my two daughters and my 92 year old mum in a local hotel. It was so nice to be out and about again with no hat on and being able to taste all the food properly. Having been through all that we have does make you appreciate things differently!

Wow, it's great to read all the good news stories on the thread now as opposed to a few months back when we were all feeling down and worried.

Petal - great news about cyst and well done for finishing rads.

Jules - Fantastic you completed the run, it's great what you can do when you put your mind to it.

SJB - wow losing two stones since end of chemo, you must be very proud of yourself, I am sure you will hit target for your recon, keep it up.

my son and his partner took me out for a slap up meal as a celebration of end of treatments and it was lovely to be able to feel back to normality.

Wishing everyone else best wishes and here's to our "new normal" lives.

Wyn X

Well done, Jules! Very proud of you for doing Race for Life this year.

Radiotherapy is a doddle. Just keep drinking the water and moisturising with whatever works best for you. E45 has been fine for me so far. Still just slightly red, and barely itchy at all for me.

I've got an appointment with a dietitian this Wednesday to get proffessional advice on how to lose another 2 stone at least ready for my reconstruction next year. I say "another" because I've already lost 2 stone since I finished chemo in April! It's getting harder now though. I definitely need help.

Should get my silicon prosthesis the following Wednesday. Have an appointment with my BCN to be fitted for it or whatever they do. Not sure if you get it that day or not, but really hope so. I want a false boob that looks like the real thing under my clothes. I'm very conscious of how I look at the moment, whether wearing my softie or a Knitted Knocker - the all sit much higher than the other boob and don't move when you walk. Horrible.

Well done Petal on finishing rads 🙂

Wyn - many thanks. I did Race for Life and finished in 28 mins - ran all of it bar a sharp hill!  A lot slower than prior to diagnosis but hopefully I will start to get back to some proper training once the rads are finished. Looking forward to getting started tomorrow,. 

Hope everyone is having a lovely weekend. 

Jules xx

Thanks for that. I bought some aloe vera this morning and have found it very soothing. It's a good thing to have in the house anyway for sunburn or any other kind of burn.

Hi Petal, just dropping in from February...

I've just finished week 3 (of 4) of rads and my hospital recommends aloe vera only - I get a gel from Holland and Barrett (other purveyors of healthy stuff are available...) So far I'm just a bit pink and occasionally itchy so it seems to be working well. It can be a bit sticky if you put too much on but absorbs quickly and seems to be good stuff.

Good luck.

You made me smile SJB! Yes, it's true, our perspective on everything has changed since we were diagnosed. We couldn't see this far ahead when we had to deal with chemo and operations and then radiotherapy. What a journey and how lucky are we to have come through and "met" all the lovely people on this forum. Good luck to everybody still working through all the treatment and good luck to us all in the future.
I am so pleased my rads finished yesterday. My skin is red and itchy and the consultant suggested getting some Aloe Vera from a health shop. The E45 is soothing but rather sticky.
Back to a bit of normality this week, just physio and a Herceptin jab on Tuesday.

It's funny that after all we've been through, we celebrate when a scan shows "justa  cyst". lol So pleased for you, petal. I too had a cyst...on my liver. Again, nothing to worry about, thank goodness.

Good news! It's a cyst! I was so relieved to hear that this morning as I was really worried because I knew it wasn't scar tissue. I saw the ultrasound picture and it showed several pockets of fluid which were explained as the poor breast having been subjected to all the trauma of the past few months and it is trying to make itself better! The cyst may disappear in time but it will take a while for everything to settle. The radiographer was really lovely and told me to query anything that crops up in the future rather than worry.
Now just that one more session of radiotherapy.......
Thanks for all the good wishes.

Hi Ladies,

For those who have finished treatments - well done and I hope you have planned your celebration of how far you have come and good luck to those who are almost there.

Petal - fingers crossed for you tomorrow, will be thinking of you and hope you get good results.

Jules - good luck for rads on Monday and I admire your strength and willpower to run race for life on sunday, I will be sending you virtual hugs along the way to finishing line, Go girl x

My skin was burned and peeled quite badly and found it sore when clothes were rubbing against it but its now settled down and just looking slightly pink so feeling much better now.

Take care everyone

Wyn x

Fingers crossed petal, the consultant must have a good idea without seeing the results. Will be thinking of you x

Fingers crossed, Petal x

Well done SJB and Good Luck Jules!

Just two more for me but I will be glad to have the result of tomorrow's ultrasound. The consultant today said the lump isn't scar tissue but may be a gland that has come up in reaction to all the treatment. She said she would be being negligent if she didn't investigate so I am hoping that means she doesn't expect it to be nasty.

Well done SJB - must be a great feeling!

I start my rads on Monday so have that to look forward to!  

I'm going to do the Race for Life this coming Sunday and will be thinking of all my "December Angel" friends as I do the run. 

Jules xx

I finished my radiotherapy today. So glad to see the back of that!

Just as the team were about to leave the room for my final zap, I felt something in my ear and had to ask them to check it out, as I couldn't move. A bug was crawling into my ear! They couldn't believe I managed to stay still!

What a way to finish!

Feel really tired now and intend to rest for a few days. Skin is a little pink and a little itchy but not too bad at all yet. I'm still moisturising, of course.

Thanks, that's good to know.

The redness definitely does settle down. I was a lovely shade of pink but its all gone now, over 9 weeks since finished now. Just a bit of pigment change underneath. Once it starts to heal and settle it does it quite quickly 🙂

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know what they say. Tomorrow I was supposed to see the rads consultant after treatment but the ultrasound people rang yesterday to say it has been requested and the first slot they have is on Thursday so I'm not sure when I'll know anything.
I'm still slapping on the cream and am a lovely shade of dark pink especially under my arm. Fingers crossed it just settles down later.

Good luck petal, will keep everything crossed for you xx

good luck petal!
done 10 rads, have another 10
and hercepin this Friday, how boring! 😉
take care everyone

Good luck, Petal. I finish rads tomorrow.

Skin now slightly reddened but not much. A Little bit itchy - still moisturising 3 times a day so it's very manageable. I started getting really tired towards the end of last week, so the last day i drove myself to hospital was Wednesday. Since then, I've accepted lifts from others. That has helped a lot. I was worn out with all the driving!

Wish me luck Angels, I've got to have an ultrasound because of the lump.
11 rads done, 4 to go. Have hit a brick wall of tiredness today.

Well done all of you who have completed your rads. I am halfway now. I'm still worried about my hard lump and the radiographer said at my review that she thinks it is scar tissue but I am to see the consultant in clinic next week just to be safe. Surely after chemo, operation, radiotherapy and Herceptin injections it can't be a sinister lump......I jolly well hope not as I don't know how I'd cope with anything else. I've been to see the lymphoedema nurse today and now have a compression sleeve/half glove as I have a bit of swelling especially in my hand. I am to wear it driving to rads, for the treatment and driving home as rads can make it worse. Roll on the end of next week.

thankyou joanne1973 it was lovely reading your post, i too had my follow up appt this week and i felt the same as you, its hard to believe what we have all been through,its not until i look in the mirror and see my G.I.Jane hair style that it hits me and reminds me and i think wow it really did happen to me and i did it, i actually fought for my life, and it feels good that i done it!!!! good luck to you too and lets have a great summer!!! x

Hi wyn, I moisturised everywhere and I still got sore. I know its sore now but it really does start to heal quickly once your finished.

I had my follow up appointment today. Doctor is very pleased with my recovery. He did say we mustn't be tough on ourselves, you have to allow yourself at least a year for your body to totally recover to the 'new normal' you and not to underestimate what your body has been through, its been poisoned and ravaged, to hell and back. He also said the emotional scars can take many years, and to expect to be emotionally unstable from time to time! I felt quite overwhelmed when I came out. That's it. They are happy. I'm happy-ish. Just yearly mammograms for the next 10 years. So fingers crossed....
Good luck angels, every single blooming one of you. I really hope you all recover soon and start to enjoy the summer months and inevitably the rest of your long beautiful lifes. I still can't quite believe what I've been through, but I'm here at the other side of that huge mountain we've all conquered in our own ways.
🙂 x

Thanks for the positive responses, I couldnt have got this far without sharing the experience and support from you all.

At my review I was told I will see onc approx 8 weeks after treatment and then discharged but will continue to attend breast clinic for follow ups etc. I know I should be delighted at this however I feel the comfort blanket has been taken away 😞   but i know its something we should get used to ( happy days).

Just an update on my skin, Under my arm and scar area looks very badly burned and skin is peeling, it is painful, Just wish I had paid more attention to these areas when moisturising,

I thought as I had no node involvement under my are would not be affected (silly me).

Good luck ladies with rest of rads and remember moisturise,moisturise as much as poss.

sending hugs

Wyn x