Decision MX or WLE??

I have very recently been diagnosed with breast cancer:
IDC, grade 2, HER2 negative, Oestrogen Q score 7
Between 28mm and 35mm
When I went to see consultant today I was expecting to be told what operation I will be having, I am due to have the operation next week, however I have been given the choice of either mastectomy or lumpectomy!!
I was hoping for some advice as you can imagine I am finding things very difficult at the moment.
They will also be doing a SNB at the same time and I will be on hormone tablets.
Angela

Hi BonEllie

I’m sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, I’m sure some of the other user will be a long soon to offer you their support and knowledge.

In the meantime you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the helpline, who are there to offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to friday 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Faciltiator

Hi BonEllie…I was given that choice 18 months ago, and went for my surgeon’s recommendatiion of WLE plus radiotherapy (had chemo too as G3). He said that the survival stats were no different for WLE +radtiotherapy or a mastectomy. The deciding factor for me was the size of the lump (27mm) and my breast size 40C, so plenty to play around with! Another consideration may be the position of the lump, e.g. is it close to the chest wall? Mine was <1mm from chest wall…so extra targeted radiotherapy. If the surgeon is not confident the lump can be removed with clear margins (i.e. a margin of ‘normal’ breast tissue around the lump) they may have to operate again. It’s a very hard decision to make if you are not in possession of all the facts, so perhaps go back and ask some pertinent questions about size, location, surgeon recommendation…if the SNB is done at the same time, they may be able to get the path results whilst you are still ‘under’ and either stitch you up or do a partial/full clearance. If nodes are affected, remember that means they have done their job! I’m sure you will able to make an informed decision that you are comfortable with…remember that your treatment and care is unique to you and your specific diagnosis…take care x

hello there. this is a difficult decision for you. in my own case i have just had two WLES which have not been successful and now face a mastectomy. however, i don’t regret the attempts to save my breast. I am 52, but I still want to feel whole and attractive to my husband. I realise that in the scheme of things, this may be unimportant, given the alternatives, which are possibly even more frightening to others than they are to ourselves. I have followed the advice of my surgeon so far. he told me on my second WLE that I had the same choice you face. I chose WLE. it did not work. For others it will have worked. I have added some time to the whole treatment process, but I have read enough to know it did work for some. I suppose the key is to understand the pros and cons of your decision and because we are all very different, you need advice about your own situation from the people who are knowlegeable about it. Perhaps you could ring your breast cancer nurse to discuss it to help you decide? meantime, i wish you some rest and peace of mind. x

It is a hard choice to have suddenly thrown at you, BonEllie. I had the a similar choice, although my lump was bigger and they offered the option of chemo first to try and shrink it to allow for a lumpectomy. I decided on an mx there and then, as I just wanted to get rid of the tumour, but your lump is smaller and as others have said, a WLE is a viable option for you.
I’m just sorry you don’t seem to have had any proper advice from your Consultant, he/she should have gone through the options with you and in my case the BCC nurse made things clearer afterwards (as I was still in shock!).
I agree that you need more information - it’s your body, after all and you need to know all the facts! Good luck and try to stay strong. There’s always someone on here to listen.

Annie x

Hi BonEllie, my experience is very similar to yours. I was told I could choose between WLE or MX and that the survival stats were no different. My lump was very small 8mm but the consultant said that it’s position meant that I would lose my nipple and quite a bit of breast tissue (the op is called a quadrantectomy). After a short chat with my OH (he’d gone with me for the biopsy results ) I decided on the less invasive WLE as a start knowing that MX was a later option, if necessary. We got clear margins, 8mm Grade 2 ER+, SNB was clear 0/3 so I had no chemo but 15 sessions of rads, now 5 years of Anastrozole. I am happy with the result, the scar is approx 8cm long, horizontal through where my nipple was and has healed brilliantly. I am slightly lopsided and now have one pert boob and one droopy one, luckily I,m only a C cup so the difference when clothed is barely noticeable. The decision is a very personal one, but do contact your BC nurse if you feel you need more information/advice re your particular situation. I’ve been happy with my decision, I wish you all the best with yours. Do keep posting and let us know how you get on, we are all here for you. Pat x

Thank you all very much for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I now have a number of questions for the BCN and am going to ring her this afternoon so that I can make a more informed decision. They did give me a lot of information and went into the pro’s and con’s of each option, we did ask for the surgeons recommendation but he said there he didn’t have a preferred option.
This is all such a roller coaster ride and yesterday just made it all seem that much more real!!
I have until Tuesday to make my decision so have the time to gather as much information as I can.
Thank you x