75.2K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decision Time - Tissue Expander or TUG with implant?!

9 REPLIES 9
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Decision Time - Tissue Expander or TUG with implant?!

Hi ad astra, thanks for your post. I was discharged from hospital Thursday and today, feel ok and getting better with each new day. 🙂
I was very confused before I made my final decision. I go to the gym regularly and walk quite a bit so my concern was the leg movement. It is tight now but I know it will loosen get better, it has only been nine days since surgery. I have heard after a few months you have most of your leg movement back and within a year you have it all.
I definitely think it is worth it, you don't have the ongoing maintenance of an implant and tissue expander.
I did see your posts and replied to both for you, hopefully it will help you make a decision.
If you need to know anything else, please don't hesitate to ask.
I wish you well, if I don't hear from you, good luck. I know it's hard but you've got to keep thinking of the end result and the surgery will clear you and make you better.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Tonit3,
I hope your surgery went well and you are recovering quickly.
I have been offered a TUG flap reconstruction on 5th July and would be very grateful to hear how you're getting on. I wasn't able to find anyone else whose had the surgery through Macmillan. My main concern is recovery of leg movement.
I do hope you're well.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi all, thanks so much for your comments.
I was originally going to have the recon with expanders, but changed my mind at the last post.
Zibzab, I have been told that having the mx it will clear me of cancer, however I know that is not always the case and that nothing is guaranteed. I dont think I could wait a year for the recon, I just dont want to go through another huge surgery and want to try and get it all over and done with (hopefully) with the one op!
Tigerpig, I hope you dont have to wait too long!
Wendy56, Its lovely to hear ladies are happy with their recon and that it was a success.

xx

I have had double mx with expanders recon immediately. No regrets for me. X

Are you sure you want recon in same time? I just had a shock of my friend - she has dicis and was done mastectomy with recon and after 7 days she get results no clean margins! The orgin lump was only 4mm! And even MRI did not show anything wrong. I still can't believe.

Hi Tonit,
cant help i am on waiting list for LD with implant,but good luck with your surgery x x
PS I used the one to one service and found this very helpful

Guest user
Not applicable

After a lot of questions and worrying, I have decided to go for a tug with no additional implant and have this booked in for next week. I would love to hear from anyone who has had this type of reconstruction or is due to.
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Janet, thanks so much, I will take a look x

Dear Tonit3

You may find our one to one service helpful while trying to make your decision. You could be put in touch with one of our specially trained volunteers and it may be possible to talk to someone who has had the same procedure. More details here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Guest user
Not applicable

Decision Time - Tissue Expander or TUG with implant?!

Hi, like a few of you, I have kept coming on here and have read some beautiful stories written by amazing ladies before actually writing anything myself. When I read some stories it makes me think that mine is fairly trivial.
So here is a little bit about me and my story:
I am 42, have three gorgeous children and a very supportive husband, which makes me actually realise how lucky I am.
I am one of the lucky ones who found out about my breast cancer before it was too late. It is DCIS and although have been told once that it is contained, I find out for sure by my results on Friday from a Lymph Node sample I had a week ago. If this is negative I am to have a mastectomy with a reconstruction at the time of surgery and no further treatment.
Although I will be glad once the cancer is out of me, I am currently facing a difficult decision between the two types of reconstructive surgery which I have been advised and think would be best for me as I am only a small build. These are an expanding tissue replacement or a TUG (taken from the inner thigh) with an implant.
Whichever one I choose I’m sure it will be right for me, I do not like the idea of having surgery at a later date if I am not happy with the results, so I’m sure I will be. I can’t help thinking that am I that vain? It will be only my husband who will see me, on the other hand if a new boob can look slightly better or more natural, should I compromise?
I have literature, photographs and have been told in detail about each operation. I am also going to meet some ladies who have had reconstructive surgery.
But, I would love to hear from anyone who has a similar experience or who has made their decision and have results. I would like anyone to tell me how it is, ups/downs, good/bad or just a ‘hi’ from all you lovely people J
Thanks for reading my story x