Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decision on Chemo

5 REPLIES 5
50Something

Re: Decision on Chemo

Hi Folks,
Thank you so much for your replies. My surgeon has just this minute rung me to say that they have decided that I do need the second operation. This will be a week on Friday, so ce la vie! I do hope that, once your chemos have finished, you will feel much better and it gives you peace of mind. I am still in two minds as to what to do but I will certainly take your posts into account. Thanks again.

Sue.

elaine_r

Brilliant question i no what i wud do

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi

I'm on my 3rd chemo (FEC) with 3 more to come, followed by mx then poss rads then tam.

Just to let you know that although chemo not great (!) it's do-able. I have been sick only once and now have stronger sickness pills if i should need them. Hair has gone but eyebrows and eyelashes clinging on.

As previous said it does build up and this one has been hardest to ignore - but not totally wiping me out. I've had 2 weekends away, still been out and about, still been mum (i'm 41 with 2 kids) although not at work due to risk of infction (teacher). I cook, iron, shop, etc, etc. so just to let you know, it's not as bad as i imagined.

question - if someone said give me £1 and there's 4% you'll win a miilion what would you do? x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi 50something!
I had an unsuccessful lumpectomy in September followed by a full mastectomy at the end of October 2010. I had one node affected.
When I saw the oncologist in mid November she told me that the choice was mine, either to just go ahead with taking tamoxifen for 5 years or have a course of chemotherapy.
I chose to have the chemo as I was worried that if i didn't I would blame myself if it came back and I hadn't thrown everything at it.
I have had 5 cycles of treatment so far and am due the final one next week.
During the treatment there have been some very low days when I wished I hadn't gone down this path but on the whole I don't regret it despite the side effects.
Losing my hair was horrible at the time but looking back it now seems a much more minor thing as I know it will come grow back.
The first cycle was really easy to deal with and I stupidly thought that they would all be the same but ubfortunately for me the s/e have got cumulatively worse, but they are bearable, especially as I know I have only one left to go!
Everyone's experience is different.
I find that I can't sleep for 3 nights after chemo due to the steroids, I have had terrible indigestion but this has been helped by medication. I have never felt or been sick but have suffered from a lack of appetite for the mid week 7 days, probably due to the fact that everything I eat during that period tastes of cardboard and everything I drink tastes of metal!
I'm lucky that I've not had any problems with my teeth or mouth infections.
Personally even if the advantage for you is only 4% it's still a no-brainer! I thought of it as going into battle taking every possible weapon available to me.
Good luck and let us know your decision.
Wendy.

elaine_r

Hi 50 somthing chemo isnt pleasant but people do it, if it was me i wud take anything that was for grabs then I wud no ive done everything possible to kill my tumor and have no regrets hope this helps

50Something

Decision on Chemo

Hi,
I have just arrived home after seeing my Surgeon. He told me that my mastectomy went well but that they were not too sure whether they had established clear margins from the lump, as it was very low underneath my breast. They are deciding whether to give me another smaller op to remove a bit more around where the lump had been. We did get the good news that the lymph nodes were clear. He offered me chemo but told me that, for me, statistically, the advantage would only be 4% over 10 years and I had to weigh up the disadvantages and side effects with the advantages. He also said I would have Tamoxifen for five years and maybe some radiotherapy.
I wondered if any of you lovely lot out there could give me any advice based on your experience of chemotherapy and what you would do? With the percentage advantage being so small, is it really worth it. On the other hand, will I regret it later, if I refuse it? Decisions, decisions!

Thanks for any help. Sue