Deep Inspiration Breath Hold Radiotherapy

Hi Everyone,

I am a newbie to the site and have found all the advice very helpful.

I was approached by my Onc to go for the breath hold radiotherapy treatment, which I think is fairly new.

I went to be measured last week and got my tattoos etc - had to take a lot of deep breaths and hold for around 15 seconds. I had to wear a visor that showed you if you were taking enough air into your lungs.

The science is great - and has been developed to minimise risk to heart tisssue etc and is for left sided BC.

I found it a bit daunting and wondered if anyone else has been through the treatment yet ?

Ive got 3 weeks 15 sessions starting in a couple of weeks - and cannot find out how many repititions of breaths I will have to hold in 1 session so wondered if anyone else could advise ?

Hi Jobi
Welcome to the BCC forums where I am sure you will find lots of support, please also feel free to call our helpline to talk through any concerns or queries. Lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Best wishes
Lucy BCC

Hi jobi - I also have left sided BC and am starting radiotherapy next week but I wasn’t offered this option. It sounds a fantastic idea, anything that will help to protect normal tissue is great. Hope all goes well for you xx

There was a thread on this when I was starting my radiotherapy. I’ll bump it up for you.

Jane x

Hello Jobi,

I saw my Oncologist for the first time on Wednesday and she has put me forward for Breath Hold Radiotherapy. I am really happy about this after ‘googling’ the benefits of this technique in protecting your heart and lungs.

I am being treated for left breast cancer and Breath Hold Radiotherapy is particularly beneficial in these cases.

My local hospital started using this new Breath Hold technique last year. I feel very lucky to be in the catchment area.

Just waiting for my set up appointment with the RO which should be in the next couple of weeks. In the meantime I am going to practice holding my breath.