Delayed Implant Reconstruction

Hi

I had mx 11 years ago (aged 36) and immediate reconstruction wasn’t possible at that time. I’ve managed ok since then with a prosthesis but having finally decided to go ahead with implant only reconstruction (scheduled for 2 weeks time) I’ve become really worried whether I’m doing the right thing!

Lots of posts that I’ve read talk about things going wrong, restrictions with arm movements, etc, after surgery and I’m just wondering whether anybody could tell me about their positive experiences or whether it would be better to leave well alone (I’m really lucky that I haven’t had any lasting problems since finishing chemo and tamoxifen and having lived for 11 years like this, could obviously continue to do so but it would be really good to not be so self conscious and be able to wear the clothes that I would like to).

Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated xx

Bumping for you Juliet x

Hi juliet4

If you are having an implant only recon, I can’t see why it would affect your mobility/strength at all.

Most of the people posting about recons have had a more complex type - using bits of muscle and fat from elswhere on the body.

I had one of those (using muscle from my back) at the same tine as mx and node removal and, 5 months on, I have full mobility, almost back to normal strength and am horse riding, gardening, etc. Still need to keep doing the exercises to prevent tightening.

Hope this helps

D

Forgot to add that I have a totally natural looking cleavage that I’m happy to show off! :-)7

Hi

I had delayed Tram Flap reconstruction in Dec 2010. It was a big op but I am so glad I had it. My new breast looks realy good. I know an implant would have meant a smaller op, but I am very pleased with my results.

Wish you well.

Carolyn x

Many thanks for your comments ladies,

It’s really good to hear that some of you have had a positive experience, but having spent most of the weekend reading comments on lots of different topics (reconstruction gone wrong, living breast free, etc) my overwhelming feeling is to leave well alone and continue to manage with what I’ve got!

I feel very relieved that I’ve finally made this decision - I have always thought that I’d have reconstruction ‘one day’ and therefore haven’t been able to put the experience behind me and move on. I’m now going to work on sorting out a wardrobe that really works for me instead of always feeling that I’m making do until the ‘miracle’ of my reconstruction when all would be well again!!!

I’ve phoned the hospital this morning to cancel my appointments and so the decision is definitely made - I’ve said that I don’t want any further appointments and am now looking forward to getting on with my life without this hanging over me any longer.

I really appreciate the time that people take to add their comments on the forum - it has proved invaluable in helping me make my decision as, without it, I’d have gone ahead with it without being able to make an informed decision. Thanks also for the link from the moderator - I didn’t pursue this but would have found it very useful if I hadn’t been able to make a decision.

All the best to you all and I hope that all those struggling with their own difficult decisions at the moment find the forum as useful as I have. xx

Hi Juliet

Really glad that you’ve reached a decision that you are happy with and delighted if we’ve been able to help in any way.

Good luck!

Diane

Hi Juliet,
It sounds as though you feel good about your decision, it’s certainly not an easy one to make! Wishing you all the best,
xx

hi juliet
when I had my mx in april I stated I wanted a recon -due to my dx they wre unable to . I am now seeing the plastics on 29th june . I am only concerned regarding I have just finished my radio and have been told that it make up to one year
for me there isnt a decision/conflict .I feel strongly that I will live for another 100 years and do not want to have a prosthesis to be worn every day.
I want to go into a shop and buy a bra so I am having a reduction first and recon after. To be honest I am naturally a 36f and have always struggled to buy bras I am hoping to be a d cup at biggest !
physical pain dosent worry me -I know they will help as much as possible and I console myself that I have been in labour twice and nothing can be that bad
good luck for your future-have faith in your ps and it will work outx