Delayed diagnosis

I waited 2 and a half years between being referred to the hospital with a lump and them actually doing a biopsy - even though they knew I had a positive family history.

Now the more this goes on the more upset I am - if they had found it earlier it is likely my lymph nodes wouldn’t have been involved, and I wouldn’t have to have chemo. Even now there are constant delays - 2 months from diagnosis to surgery and now another 3 weeks for my results.

I really feel like giving up and saying no more, just leave me alone. I feel like I am fighting every step of the way to get treatment, and I can’t do it anymore. Maybe I should find a lawyer - maybe then they would do something. I really don’t know, and I am starting not to care.

Emxx

Oh Em I am so sorry to hear of how appalling you have been treated.

Please don’t give up, fight back by beating your cancer. It is so frustrating having to wait when you know delays could be making things worse, and all the time getting more and more distressed.
I have not had the extreme delays that you have but I did have to wait 5 weeks for my results after surgery and 10 weeks from op to chemo, I must say it is one of the most traumatic times I have ever had, and all on top of a cancer diagnosis:(
However, I have just completed chemo in September and rads last week, I have started on my 6 month Herceptin programme and am back at work, so there is light at the end of the tunnel. It is not all plain sailing but you will get through it and be a stronger person at the end of it.
Have you written a formal complaint to your local health authority or your local MP, if you haven’t maybe you could, if nothing else you will be able to vent your anger and frustration out on them, lol :slight_smile:

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on, feel free to message me if you want a chat.

Wendy xx

Hi Em
I am sorry to read that you are having such a difficult time, along with the support here it may help to call our helpliners where you can talk things over with one of our team, they can offer you practical and emotional support to help you through this

0808 800 6000 weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care
Lucy BCC

Thank you for the replies. 

Wendy, I hope work is going ok and I am encouraged by the fact you sound so positive. It’s just so hard to feel that I will get there at the moment! I feel a bit calmer today although I have decided to not think anymore about results or treatment until after I move. I am hoping I might feel more like dealing with it in a new area with a new hospital etc.

What upsets me most is that the consultant who told me “put a bit of Nivea on it or wear a bra with more cotton - it will be fine” before discharging me is still out there treating and diagnosing women.

Emxx