Dentistry

Hello there,

I know now we should ideally keep healthy;  diet, excercise etc. Whilst I clean my teeth assiduously, I can’t say that I can be bothered to have certain dental treatments. I have a cracked tooth at the back, it is sore, but the idea of a crown sounds horrific. I can’t even keep my mouth open that wide for the x-ray.  Since I’m not going to be around that long, do you think I’m better off just having the tooth out? 

Hi,

I can sympathise with you, don’t think many of us like the idea of dentists! Funnily enough I  got much better about them after my original cancer, I  thought if I  could go through all the treatments then I  could face the dentist!

Since my secondary dx of bone mets it is more important to keep my teeth looed after. I  am assuming that you are not bone mets or boon zometa/denosumab because in that instance you would need to be trying to avoid extractions. I’ve had a crown and it’s not as bad as you think but t is expensive. I think if the tooth is not going to make a big difference to your ability to chew etc and you are not bone mets then having it out is the easier and cheaper option, though some dentists prefer to ‘save’ the tooth.

Go with what suits you but remember ou could still be around for years yet :smileyvery-happy:

Hiya Samantha
I’m the world’s worst for dentists too . Hence the reason I only go when u have to. It’s a bit more of a problem for treatment if you have denosumab injections …my teeth probs started after chemo back in 2004…have had nothing but trouble since …had to have two big teeth out before u could start the injections last year.
I can’t cure my phobia either so just relax and know u arnt alone. ( my daughter pays for sedation even for a check up!)
Hugs xx

Hi Samantha,

i think everyone has a. Point, but Two things come to mind…JulieDs comment re the bone juice and extractions is pretty relevant as however long we are ‘going to be around’ as you put it, jaw necrosis would be something to avoid if you can…it doesnt happen to everyone, but still, to be on the safe side…

. And maybe choose the option which you feel is the least unpleasant…as painful teeth can be depressing to say the least…  Like Others, im phobic about the dentist, but pop in at the drop of the hat if im worried as I really have enough to cope with, without having teeth drilled/extracted.

(I  do have a sore tooth, just at times and my dentist said small cracks happen and he isnt  worried)

best of luck with your choicesxxx

Moijan???