Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deodorant advise please :-)

33 REPLIES 33
Colette29

Re: Deodorant advise please :-)

juliebtaurus

I use aluminum free biosen from boots or body shop do one aswell in nice pleasant smells all with spa minerals.

Nottsgal

that article says the link with deodorant use is nowhere near proven. I read somewhere that the original idea about the link came about because when having RADs you can't use a deodorant with aluminium in as it might affect readings.

My lump was very near my cleavage - and I've never sprayed deodorant there.

karen

I've used PIT ROK since dx 7 yrs ago, might have a look in Body Shop though if their doing one too.

Guest user
Not applicable

Mel, I'm in complete agreement with you - switching to 'natural' deodorants and anti-perspirants is easy to do, and they can be effective - so for me it's a definite case of 'why not'? It doesn't have a great impact on my life, unlike strict dietary changes, so this is one thing I'm happy to do, sceptical though I am that there is any link at all between anti-perspirants and bc.

Sophie xx

stressy_messy

Hi peachez I think what you have said is right.Below is a link to the "no lynx (links) effect" which I thought was a good title.It all started with a hoax email and the study that was done only involved 17 people. The link explains it more.Changing to natural products for personal and houehold is good for the enviroment so thats a good thing,can't do any harm,not that Ive changed much,but am looking into it ;).

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2007/08/31/breast-cancer-deodorants-or-the-no-links-effect/

Melxx

Mezzomamma

Some of these are sold as armpit pads, so uni-sex. If my armpit continues to be so sensitive, I think I'll get some as well.

Cheryl

Guest user
Not applicable

Cheryl, that's a really handy tip - I hadn't thought of the armpit pads! On the topic of powder anti-perspirant.. back to Lush again - they do a vaguely coconut one, which I find works well. Certainly as well as any spray on type I've used before. I tend to use it in conjunction with the solid deo. bar, and have been pleasantly surprised. Not sure how it would hold up to vigorous exercise, as have not done much in that direction over last few weeks.. so armpit pads might be a good investment for my dog showing days, when I'm running round the ring with the dobermanns! No ordinary anti-p has stood up to that one yet... and I have always reacted badly to the ones intended for excessive perspiration, they give me a rash. Will be googling armpit pads...lol

Sophie

Mezzomamma

I've just had a quick google, and there is more than one disposable product which you can stick to the inside arm of a top. It looks as though sew-in versions are still available through some haberdashers, but I think I would want a popper or velcro attachment. One advantage of any of these would be to reduce irritation caused by rubbing seams, which gave me problems after my alnc.

So there is another alternative for anyone who wants to avoid or minimise deodorant use temporarily or permanently.

Cheryl

Mezzomamma

Back when I was young, posh women's clothes (and even Sunday best at our bottom end of fashion) came with dress shields which went under your arms to absorb sweat. They were mainly to prevent clothes from being stained, were pinned or poppered in place, and could be washed separately. I wonder if anyone still makes something like that--they might be useful for cushioning scars as well as absorbing sweat. I might try to search later.

I use unscented roll-on deodorants for sensitive skin, but am leaving my alnc side untreated at the moment, as that skin is still hypersensitive. When I have the time and energy, I'll look for an organic one, perhaps a powder, to try.

Cheryl

Peachez

I thought the issue was that they have found traces of metals used in anti perspirants/deoderants actually in tumours and breast tissue, but can't prove if this has anything to do with BC.

Deoderants are not necessarily anti persperant too.

personally I have tried a rock crystal and the Bionsen Deo, am currently on the new BodyShop Deo roll on, metal and paraben free, and have found it the best so far...

Daughter has a lush face mask on this morning , who needs air freshener ?? the dog is going mad!!

tors

I've just started using the lush deodrant bar and it's been great. Out of all their products , it isn't actually that potent. I also love their bubble bars as they make for lovely bubbly smelly baths, and I just bought their shampoo bar which is great. It's currently a favourite shop since I can use products and soak in baths again.

Guest user
Not applicable

Any deoderant with parabens and aluminium should be avoided really. I always used to use Mitchum which is really strong + has all the potentially risky ingredients in but I now use bionsen. It doesn't work as well (the safer stuff never does!) but I've found it to be adequate + the spray seems most effective.
I think the link between bc stems from the fact that most bc's are found in the upper outer quadrant of the breast nearer the armpit where deo is used. Only a correlation I guess but I thought swapping deoderant wasn't too much of a hardship if it might help in the long term.
All the best
tina x

lincs_lady

hi, i used biosen to start with and it works well but i have gone back to mitchum roll on,i dont seem to smell but do sweat a lot with flushes

Guest user
Not applicable

Hmm, not had rads yet, so think my non-sweaty pit must be due to anc! I'm not moaning, it's a bonus in my book!! Still grow hair underneath tho, and that's not succumbed to the chemo yet, so may have to do something about it soon.. and that's a whole other dilemna!!

Sophie xx

stressy_messy

I'm going into town tomorrow so I think I might stick a peg on my nose and go in lol.I really would like to have a look round.

I also dont sweat on the side that I had surgery,nor does any hair grow under that armpit, so thats a bonus only have to shave one 🙂

Melxx

cherub

I only sweat very slightly on one side - the armpit that has no lymph nodes doesn't sweat at all and I was told this may be due to radiotherapy. I use one of the crystal type ones that you just wet and rub on. You have to watch not to drop it in the sink though, as they shatter like glass!

Guest user
Not applicable

I can see how the Lush shop would be overpowering, lol, but one product at a time is GORGEOUS!! I did a bulk order a few weeks ago, and I could smell the products before I'd even opened the box, but individually they are great. They list absolutely every ingredient in each item - they're not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

I had real doubts about the deodorant, LiF told me it was good, so thought I'd try it, and I've been really impressed with it. The best product from there that I've found is a shower/bath jelly - and it really is like jelly, called 'whoosh' - if that doesn't wake you up in the morning, nothing will!!

Sophie x

Guest user
Not applicable

British website is down at the mo but have a look here and it tells you whats in stuff http://www.lushnz.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=51_52

ChoccieMuffin

Mel, I completely agree. I cross the road when I get near to Lush, I can't stand the stink!

Guest user
Not applicable

That has happened to me too, Gretchen, but only in the one armpit!

stressy_messy

Lostinfrance is lush stuff all natural?.You know when your near a lush shop because the smell is so overpowering.It always looks nice in there but the smell gives me headache so I never go in.

Melxx

Guest user
Not applicable

LIF - well that theory out the window then!

Before bc I did have to use some sort of deodorant, but now I really don't have to. I have another theory that all the treatment has inhibited my adrenalin (and meant that I have lost a lot of my vitality), and it is only when I get adrenalin/stress rush that my armpits ever get an odour. Non-smelly pits - at least it is one upside to bc!

Guest user
Not applicable

Lush stuff is fab....Gretchen its certainly not being a veggie that makes you odour free...my husband has been a strict veggie for 30 plus years and boy does he pong!!! I insist he uses deodorant for the sake of the rest of humanity!

stressy_messy

Thats the one sarah :).....I knew I had spelt it wrong lol.
I did use it for a while because they were donating some of the takings to breast cancer charity,but i'm afraid I have gone back to my roll on nivea now.
Melxx

sarah68

Hi everyone,

Yes, I use Bionsen too - called "Japanese spa minerals" and labelled "aluminium free" and "no alcohol" on the bottle. It was advised last year after rads.(as a deodorant) and is quite widely available.

Best regards,
Sarahxx

Guest user
Not applicable

I don't use any.

Not sure if it is because I am vegetarian (mostly) now, the effects of tamox but I don't get body odour anymore.

I use very few chemicals around the home too, so now chemical/artificial fragrance is offensive to my smell sensors.

Nottsgal

Since my mx, I've been using Simple roll on. I don't actually believe the stuff about deodorant being bad but after the mx that area was tender so I didn't want to zap it with my usual spray.

finty

I use a paraben free one from Green People.

https://www.greenpeople.co.uk

finty x

elinda45

Hi Deb

I've bumped up another thread on healthy recipes - the last page of this is all about things like deodorants, cosmetics, cream, cleaning products etc without chemicals including websites.
Hope this will be of help.
Elinda x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hiya, if you want to avoid the propellants etc (though I must admit I'm dubious as to whether there is any scientific basis to claims.. or why would only one armpit have a cancerous lymph node? I squirt em both, and don't actually spray deo on my breasts...)... however, I also thought it might be wise to research healthy alternatives.

Check out Lush - they do a solid deodorant bar thing that works well when you get out of bath/shower - your skin needs to be a little damp. They also do a deo powder (not talc but similar) in coconut - which smells nice and seems to do the job. I have to add, I normally sweat a fair bit - and the Lush products are just as effective as anything else I have used - and I think I still smell sweeter at the end of the day with the Lush stuff than with Sure.

Sophie xx

stressy_messy

Hi Deb,there are alot of unproven things out there which put a link to breast cancer and we have to choose which if any we want to belive .I have put a link below to the cancer research site taken from March 2010

http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/deodorants/

Tesco do a roll on deodorant its called biosen (or something like that lol) it's quite good.I'm sure others will be along with lots more soon.

Melxx

Laraine

Hi Furball
I use Salt of the Earth totally natural deoderant from Holland & Barratt. Works for me!! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Deodorant advise please :-)

Hi Ladies

Having read various reports saying deodorant isn't good to use, can anyone please give me advise on what we can/can't use? I also want to educate my daughter as well (she's 10).

Many thanks

Deb x