Deodorant advise please :-)

Hi Ladies

Having read various reports saying deodorant isn’t good to use, can anyone please give me advise on what we can/can’t use? I also want to educate my daughter as well (she’s 10).

Many thanks

Deb x

Hi Furball
I use Salt of the Earth totally natural deoderant from Holland & Barratt. Works for me!! xx

Hi Deb,there are alot of unproven things out there which put a link to breast cancer and we have to choose which if any we want to belive .I have put a link below to the cancer research site taken from March 2010

info.cancerresearchuk.org/healthyliving/cancercontroversies/deodorants/

Tesco do a roll on deodorant its called biosen (or something like that lol) it’s quite good.I’m sure others will be along with lots more soon.

Melxx

Hiya, if you want to avoid the propellants etc (though I must admit I’m dubious as to whether there is any scientific basis to claims… or why would only one armpit have a cancerous lymph node? I squirt em both, and don’t actually spray deo on my breasts…)… however, I also thought it might be wise to research healthy alternatives.

Check out Lush - they do a solid deodorant bar thing that works well when you get out of bath/shower - your skin needs to be a little damp. They also do a deo powder (not talc but similar) in coconut - which smells nice and seems to do the job. I have to add, I normally sweat a fair bit - and the Lush products are just as effective as anything else I have used - and I think I still smell sweeter at the end of the day with the Lush stuff than with Sure.

Sophie xx

Hi Deb

I’ve bumped up another thread on healthy recipes - the last page of this is all about things like deodorants, cosmetics, cream, cleaning products etc without chemicals including websites.
Hope this will be of help.
Elinda x

I use a paraben free one from Green People.

greenpeople.co.uk

finty x

Since my mx, I’ve been using Simple roll on. I don’t actually believe the stuff about deodorant being bad but after the mx that area was tender so I didn’t want to zap it with my usual spray.

I don’t use any.

Not sure if it is because I am vegetarian (mostly) now, the effects of tamox but I don’t get body odour anymore.

I use very few chemicals around the home too, so now chemical/artificial fragrance is offensive to my smell sensors.

Hi everyone,

Yes, I use Bionsen too - called “Japanese spa minerals” and labelled “aluminium free” and “no alcohol” on the bottle. It was advised last year after rads.(as a deodorant) and is quite widely available.

Best regards,
Sarahxx

Thats the one sarah :)…I knew I had spelt it wrong lol.
I did use it for a while because they were donating some of the takings to breast cancer charity,but i’m afraid I have gone back to my roll on nivea now.
Melxx

Lush stuff is fab…Gretchen its certainly not being a veggie that makes you odour free…my husband has been a strict veggie for 30 plus years and boy does he pong!!! I insist he uses deodorant for the sake of the rest of humanity!

LIF - well that theory out the window then!

Before bc I did have to use some sort of deodorant, but now I really don’t have to. I have another theory that all the treatment has inhibited my adrenalin (and meant that I have lost a lot of my vitality), and it is only when I get adrenalin/stress rush that my armpits ever get an odour. Non-smelly pits - at least it is one upside to bc!

Lostinfrance is lush stuff all natural?.You know when your near a lush shop because the smell is so overpowering.It always looks nice in there but the smell gives me headache so I never go in.

Melxx

That has happened to me too, Gretchen, but only in the one armpit!

Mel, I completely agree. I cross the road when I get near to Lush, I can’t stand the stink!

British website is down at the mo but have a look here and it tells you whats in stuff lushnz.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=51_52

I can see how the Lush shop would be overpowering, lol, but one product at a time is GORGEOUS!! I did a bulk order a few weeks ago, and I could smell the products before I’d even opened the box, but individually they are great. They list absolutely every ingredient in each item - they’re not cheap, but a little goes a long way.

I had real doubts about the deodorant, LiF told me it was good, so thought I’d try it, and I’ve been really impressed with it. The best product from there that I’ve found is a shower/bath jelly - and it really is like jelly, called ‘whoosh’ - if that doesn’t wake you up in the morning, nothing will!!

Sophie x

I only sweat very slightly on one side - the armpit that has no lymph nodes doesn’t sweat at all and I was told this may be due to radiotherapy. I use one of the crystal type ones that you just wet and rub on. You have to watch not to drop it in the sink though, as they shatter like glass!

I’m going into town tomorrow so I think I might stick a peg on my nose and go in lol.I really would like to have a look round.

I also dont sweat on the side that I had surgery,nor does any hair grow under that armpit, so thats a bonus only have to shave one :slight_smile:

Melxx

Hmm, not had rads yet, so think my non-sweaty pit must be due to anc! I’m not moaning, it’s a bonus in my book!! Still grow hair underneath tho, and that’s not succumbed to the chemo yet, so may have to do something about it soon… and that’s a whole other dilemna!!

Sophie xx