Deodorant and shaving

Hi ladies
I’m confused! I’ve had lumpectomy, no lymph node involvement, starting rads this week on breast only.
Do I still need to use aluminium free deodorant and avoid shaving my armpit on the affected side even though rads are only on breast??
Sorry if this seems a silly question!

It’s not silly at all, we all wonder about things like this! I was told deodorant was fine and I certainly shaved my armpit and had no problems at all xx 

Hi Thelou,

I’ve finished rads today and like you I had a lumpectomy with no lymph node involvement and had rads on breast only.  I continued to shave with a battery shaver and used Sure Cotton Dry Stick Antit-perspirant.  My breast care nurse said that it was Ok to use it and I didn’t have any problems with it. I don’t think that it matters if you are not having rads under the armpit. Hope all goes well with your first treatment.

Eileen.

Thank you ladies your replies are very much appreciated :slight_smile:
I’ve bought Bionsen already so will use that but will carry on shaving, for the poor radiographers if not for me ha ha!

I too was wondering about deo’s.  I have had lymph nodes removed so have been paranoid about getting any thing on or near my scar, what is safe to use and also heard not to use deo when going for rad treatment.

Hi Jill thanks for your reply. I’ve now had my first 2 sessions and was able to ask the team face to face. They told me to carry on as normal as there’s no evidence that aluminium will make the skin more sensitive. They advised a non-perfumed deo but not compulsory by any means!
As I had bought Bionsen already I used it on the first day. I don’t know if it’s just me but the stench coming from my armpits was unbearable, so I’m glad I can ditch that!!

I started my rads on 1 July this year - the hottest few weeks in years! I was told no shaving and no deodorant with aluminum, even though my armpit was not zapped! You have to go with your hospital’s advice.