Diagnosed Monday and now worrying over every ailment

Hi. I’m hoping this is normal. I was diagnosed with lobular Brest cancer on Monday (I had us guided biopsies done 2 weeks before). I have a CXR and bloods for pre op on Monday, an mri of both breasts next Wednesday, the back to the consultant next Friday to discuss the results and what surgery to have.
However I am now panicking that every ailment I have is a secondary cancer and that it has spread. I know there’s nothing I can do until I find out the mri. But I’m worrying myself sick! And don’t want to tell close friends or family as they are all so upset and worries as it is. I have just turned 41 and have 3 young children.

Hi Swede,

Sorry you have been diagnosed, these early days are an emotional rollercoaster and you will be all over the place! One thing we all do is it tend to think that every ache or pain is a sign that is has spread, that’s very normal and I think just about everyone does that from time to time, especially in the early days when you don’t have the full picture but you do get more used to it and get better at keeping things in perspective.

Just a heads up; a MRI of both breasts is just that…just the breasts. It will give your surgeon an idea of what is going on in your breasts and the best surgery for you but that is all. I had one after a WLE (lumpectomy) which triggered the decision to have a mastectomy. After that, I had a CT scan for staging (to see if there were signs of spread).They will probably do a sentinel node biopsy during surgery, and this will give them more idea is it is showing any signs of having moved out of the breasts, and if you need further surgery (such a node clearance) and any more scans.

Write a list of questions for the surgeon, and if possible, take along someone else as an extra pair of ears and to make notes while you chat with the surgeon. 

Amanda x

Thank you for that. Makes me slightly less worried to know that’s a normal feeling.

Hi Swede I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself here but in the circumstances this is the place to be. I could not have got through the last few weeks without these lovely ladies and the biggest thing I have taken from this is that all the feelings I have are normal. Every twinge I felt was massive secondaries and every morning I’d convinced myself the tumour was now the size of a football. All of my family and my closest friends have been brilliant however unless you have gone or are going through it there are things that only fellow ladies can help with.
I had my surgery Monday and that was a definite turning point for me because at last something concrete was being done. Through the ladies on here I have learnt this journey is the biggest roller coaster you will ever ride and now I’m scared witless about the pathology results but I have adopted a ‘it is what is it is’ attitude so what are we going to do about it. And whilst I am finding this out this forum is keeping me going. On the surface I’m that swan gliding along underneath I’m frantically paddling to stay that way and when I can’t paddle any more someone here is always there to hold me up. Nothing is too big or small to talk about here. Sometimes you’ll just want to rant other times you’ll want answers or advice. Whatever time of day or night there is always a friendly ear here.
Amanda is so right take someone with you. It’s a lot to take in and they will probably think of questions we might not too. Good luck xx

Hi Swede, I’m recently diagnosed, too & just like you every ache/pain I felt I was convinced it had spread. I mentioned this to my breast care nurse & she said almost every newly diagnosed person has exactly those feelings so you are normal. Anita x

Thank you for the reassurance Anita and bottyboo.
I too am currently a swan! Everyone is surprised I am so normal. I feel that everyone is so upset that I need to be strong for them. So to everyone I am the same person as usual. Although inside I’m panicking mad, can’t sleep and can’t eat.

Also I haven’t told any friend or family I’m worried sick about all the other symptoms I have.

Sorry multiple messages.
My husband is coming with me next Friday to get mri results and surgery planning. But we’re also having to bring our 4 year old. (My other 2 children will be in school) Unfortunately when I got my diagnosis Monday I went to the appointment alone as the registrar I saw in clinic when i had my biopsy done convinced me it was nothing to worry about.

Hi swede, sorry you have found yourself her (but what a great bunch of people),  I agree with bottyboo the initial  diagnosis and waiting is horrendous but does improve when there is a plan (I had my surgery last week).  I can empathise with how you found out I didn’t take hubby with me as neither the gp, surgeon or radiologist thought it was anything to worry about so it all went a bit foggy at one point!! 

Thank tou all for your replies and it’s helpful to read your journeys and comments going through surgery and treatment.
I am absolutely bricking myself that I won’t see my children grow up.
Friday can’t come around soon enough to find out results of mri and CXR.

Sorry chest X Ray.
My children are 9,7 and 4. My 4 year old doesn’t start school until this September. And I just can’t get over the overwhelming doom that the worst is going to happen.
Like you say though, once I get a treatment plan and something starts being done, rather just just tests. I might feel more positive. Here’s hoping x

Sorry for jumping on the thread but I’ve not really been able to talk to anyone on here as I can’t find anyone in the same situ. I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and like you Swede I went on my own as I was told it was probably benign. I have my surgery booked in for the 25th March but since my diagnosis all I can think is its spread. I’m currently 11 weeks pregnant and can’t stop thinking that I might not eveb be pregnant and I’ve got some sort of mass instead! I suppose it’s normal to think the worst in a time like this.

Good luck x

Yes we are all united by something so unfortunate but I’m glad this site exists. I just want more info on women going through chemo while pregnant and how it affected them side effect wise, there doesn’t seem to be a lot of on Google and my consultant hasn’t said very much either. I suppose I’ll just have to wait and see! X

It’s grade 3 IDC won’t know the staging til I’ve had my surgery. Consultant said surgery, chemo for 4 months and then 4 weeks of radiotherapy and then 10 years of tamoxifen as it’s er+. Xx

Thanks I’ll give them a call on Monday xx

Crikey Cara, what a lot to contend with. I hope you find someone who can give you some advice through the someone like me. x

5 more sleeps for me until I get some answers into treatment and whether there’s any further cancers. The more I read about lobular cancer the worse I feel. It could be everywhere.

Well looks like I’ll be going through treatment normally now as I was in hospital this morning and there is no baby to be seen just the water and sac. I shouldve been 12 weeks on Friday and was only measuring at 6 so the midwife thinks everything stopped growing a while back. Onwards and upwards!

Oh Cara im so sorry love, life just seems to want to knock you when your down ? Time to get yourself sorted now love and back on track Xx Jo

Oh no Cara that’s terrible news. Please take care of yourself. x