cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed Today and worried

20 REPLIES 20
Grannyjacks

Re: Diagnosed Today and worried

Hi Sue, I'm also starting Chemo in Jan. It is quite scary but reading some of the posts from other ladies who have already gone through their treatment keeps me positive. I was feeling very low tonight so have been reading lots of posts on the forum. I went onto the Jan 14 thread and asked to join them. I think the thread is attracting more posts now as sadly more and more of us are getting their treatment plans but with the great support from our loved ones and all the great gals on this forum we will all get thru this! Great big hugs. Jackie. x
poemsgalore

Hi Sue, here is the link for the January 2014 chemo thread:

http://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Chemotherapy-monthly-threads/Jan-2014-New-Year-Newbies/m-p/8...

Just pop along and leave a message asking if you can join  - I;m sure they will be delighted to have you, although upset for you having to join. Take care

poemsgalore xx

Sue123

Hi how do I join the Jan 14 th chemo thread? it really is good to talk to you gals about the same worries and issues we are going through xx

minig

Hi Hoppie, Sorry I didnt see your message. You had surgery the same day as me. Hope the follow up appointment went well. xxx

minig

Hi Hoppie, Sorry I dint see your message. You had surgery the same day as me. Hope the follow up appointment went well. xxx

minig

Joanne, good luck with your first chemo. Sending you positive vibes! xxx

minig

Hi Sue, I have IDC ER/PR+. I havent got a date for chemo yet - should meet the onc next week. I'm being treated at the Marsden in Chelsea but have asked for my chemo to be done at their unit at Kingston Hospital as its closer to home & so I dont have to faff with getting the tube etc. Try not to google & stick to sites like this one. I've googled  & freaked myself out, so steering clear now. Come & join the Jan 14 chemo thread - there sonly 3 of us so far so we need some pals! 🙂 xx

Joanne1973

Hi minig, sending you lots of love too xxx

Joanne1973

Hi sue, I too have invasive ductal triple negative g3. Bad idea to Google it but we all do! Surgery for me was a breeze, just a bit tender and stiff, but you'll certainly be able to enjoy Christmas as best you can, and lots of pampering opportunities! Try not to dwell too much on the triple neg. For all of us, it is what it is, surgery and chemo will give us all the very best chance of beating this, try to deal with one step at a time, and try not to think too far ahead as you really can tie yourself in knots. Be kind to yourself daily, and put yourself first, hard I know. If you want info stick to this website or other reputable ones like Macmillan and cancer research UK. 

I start my first of six chemo today, then having radiotherapy. 

You can do this, we all can, there are lots of very warm,welcoming and supportive ladies on here. All on different journeys but with very similar fears and feelings. 

Sending you lots of very warm wishes and a big hug.

XxXxx

Sue123

Hi Hoppie, sorry if I missed a message you left. It would be good to know how you get on. How did you find your op? I am not really worried about it and cant wait to start my chemo as I know this will give me the best chance to be well! Take care x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Minig and Sue123 - I was wondering about you two and left a message somewhere else!  still trying to suss this out.

Big hugs to you both x

I am sat here waiting for verbal results from my BC since my op on 29 November.  Not really sure what I am expecting, but just knowing one way or another will be a relief!  I was diagnosed with IDC Grade 2 - my lump was 9mm x 6mm.  I had WLE and SNB.

will update when I know xx

Sue123

Hi Minig, what sort of BC do youy have ? Mine is triple negative which knocked me sick when i googled it!! But I have had a long chat with my BC nurse who also spoke to my daughter which really helped to bring things back into proportion. Thanks everyone for the support, it really is another string to my support bow! x Do you have a date for when your chemo starts? and could i ask whereabouts you live? x

minig

Hi Sue, I got my post surgery results today and I am now also grade 3, not 2 as originally diagnosed. I will start chemo in Jan so we might be chemo buddies 🙂 Not sure if there is a monthly thread for Jan yet. Feeling very apprehensive about it too but trying to focus on Christmas with my boys who are 7 & 2 and very excited! Hope you're feeling ok. It's a bit of a bumpy old ride. xxx
poemsgalore

Hi Everyone,

I'm so sorry you all have to be here, but it is the best place to be in your situation.

First of all, when they test the lump tissue at the biopsy,  they test it for hormone positive status. Oestrogen and/or progestrogen. If it is positive that means that you will eventually have a hormone tablet (Tamoxifen for example) as part of your treatment.

If your tumour is HER2 positive, then you will need chemo alongside of Herceptin. Triple negative means your tumour did not respond to hormones or Herceptin, and at the moment there is no treatment except chemo to deal with it. 

I hope this helps to clarify things a little.

poemsgalore xx

Sue123

Hi Jaine and thanks for that, its good to hear from someone in the same position. It would be good to keep in touch with you Jaine if you would feel OK about that? What stage is your cancer and what grade? Mine is grade 3 so really scary. I will know the staging after surgery which is booked for 20th December, Take care, Sue

Jaine

Hi. I am triple negative too.  There is good information on this website and the Macmillan one as well.  It is not easy to take it all in and people think there is only one type of bc there isn't - there are several types all a bit different when it comes to treatment.  I find it helps to read up on stuff before appointments because it can be hard to take in, but I know other people don't want to know too much.  I echo what others have said about one day at a time and dealing with each stage. I had my surgery three weeks ago and feeling well- not looking forward to chemo in January but thinking about Christmas at the moment

Sue123

Thanks for that, I think I am triple negative which they tried to explain. I will ring the Breast nurse later. They said I am probably ( i think will have to ) have chemo which is so scary. Do let me know how you get on, x

4littlecherubs

Hi Sue,
Im sure lots of ladies will be along soon to give you some support.
I still dont understand all the meanings etc but do know that mine was also not hormone dependent or herceptin pos! I was told all along that I would need chemo and I was petrified but after my mastectomy I found out all my results and that it hadnt spread into my lymph nodes and only needed radiotherapy and tamoxifen!!
So....my advice would be to take each day as it comes.....try not to worry about what might happen as it may not happen and this time for you is definitely the worst it will get easier I promise! Time goes really quickly and your surgery date will soon be here, once your over that hurdle (which is suprisingly easier than you think) then you will have your off days waiting for your results, you will then get your treatment plan and feel much better and in control.
Its a horrible emotional rollercoaster but you will get through it. ((((Hugs))))
minig

Hi Sue, Sorry to hear you find yourself here too. But it's a really supportive environment and you'll get lots of advice & insight. Please don't worry about the surgery. I had my WLE & SLNB 9 days ago & it was fine. No pain at all & feeling back to normal within 24 hours. So you'll definitely be able to enjoy Christmas Day! I've also been told I probably need chemo due to my age (42) and I'm also scared about this. I find out at my post op appointment tomorrow. Try calling your BC nurse for more detail about type, hormone receptors etc. Everyone says the waiting is the worst bit and you'll feel much better once your treatment plan is in place. Best of luck Xxx
Jo_BCC

Hi Sue,

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from your fellow forum users.  Our helpline team are just a free phone call away with both emotional and practical support if you would like to give them a call.  0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Sue123

Diagnosed Today and worried

Today I was diagnosed with grade 3 ductal carcinoma and have my Wide excision and sentinel node biopsy booked for 20th December. I have been told my lump is less than 2cm but the staging won't be known til after the surgery. My consultant said I would probably need chemo which is terrifying. He and the breast nurse were reassuring about the stage 3 but I am really worried. They said it was not hormone dependent or herceptin positive whatever that means, any info? They said it appeared very treatable but the word 'appeared' is a bit doubtful I thought?

So sad as lovely partner died 6 months ago. Just told 3 of my 4 adult children and going to see the other one later. Feels so scary any words of wisdom?