cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed Today :(

9 REPLIES 9
rosie14

Re: Diagnosed Today :(

Hi I am going to see the oncologist today to discuss chemo before surgery. I don't like needles either but after having a local biopsy I don't think any needle can be as bad! I don't look and very often it is all over and they are saying "press here" without me knowing it is over!

SJB

Jackie, I have a PICC line fitted. It takes some setting up, which you may not enjoy, but if you can bear it, it will make life a lot easier for you while you go through chemo.

Unfortunately at my hospital, they don't use the PICC line for blood tests, as the blood department just use needles because it's quicker.

I'm afraid you'll have to get used to needles though, even if you don't look at them. Even at home, you need injections in your tummy for several days after each lot of chemo to help boost white blood cell production, so needles quickly become a way of life, I'm afraid.

Jackie09

Dear Tracy,

Thank you so much for your reply. I haven't started any treatment yet so feel very isolated, which just compounds my anxiety and general sense of doom!! It's so supportive to receive messages from others to show that this whole nightmare is do-able. Thank you for the info re PICC line - I have heard of them and is something I will def discuss with doctor. First hurdles are two scans before treatment starts so am trying to convince myself that they are the lesser of the "evils" to come!!!!
Am so happy that your chemo is coming to an end - well done you! Your positive attitude comes shining through your post and is something I will try to keep with me. Thank you.

Love and hugs x x
Tracy1967

Hi Jackie,

Just read your post regarding needle phobia, believe you me I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm over half way through my treatment, I've had surgery and have my last chemo on Friday this week. I'll be having rads then tamoxifen for possibly 10 years. I hate needles , can't look at them and the thought just turns my stomach and makes me cry BUT I've got through chemo using a cannula each time. My chemo nurse is used to me now and knows just to get on with it without me looking etc. Looking back I think I'd have been better with a PICC as once this is inserted into your upper arm the chemo is given via the PICC and I believe they can also take bloods from it. The down side is that the PICC needs to be flushed regular and kept dry at all times so soaking in a bath may be a challenge. It might be worth discussing your fears with your oncologist.

Good luck with your treatment, stay positive as you will get through this horrible 'blip' in your long life.

Tracy XXX
Jackie09

Hi SJB,

Thank you for your lovely post. It sounds like you are in the middle of the path that is being suggested for me - chemo then surgery. I've read lots about it and can honestly say I'm not looking forward to it one little bit - and neither is my needle phobia!!! I hope you are coping well and you are finding ways to manage the crappy side effects.

Love and hugs x x
SJB

The club no one wants to be in. That just about sums us up, doesn't it.

I hope things are going ok for you. Just read this thread.

Draw strength from the fact that although you now face quite an ordeal, it is CURABLE. So work with the doctors and oncology team 100% and tell them all your side effects and symptoms, and you will come out the other side of all this, cured.

We are all either currently going through it or have done it and are stillhere to help others.

I have nearly finished my pre-adjuvant FEC-T chemo, and am preparing for my op in early May, followed by radiotherapy in another couple of months after that. Things have gone ok, considering, but I do feel like a slave to my medication at times!

Stay here with us. We will help you through it. x

Jackie09

Dear Yvie and Twinks,

Thank you so much for your replies - it means a lot that people are so caring to reply and who know how I feel. I'm just off to hospital now to get bloods done in prep for my scans. I'm a big wimp when it comes to needles so am putting my Elma cream on in readiness. I haven't had a full on big howling blow out (yet!) but little wells - mainly thinking of my little boy without a mummy (off again!!) but I know I should wait til after all the scans and stuff. I think it's just the shock of it all.

Hope you're all having a good day - the sun is shining where I am

Love and hugs x x
Twinks

So sorry you've had this diagnosis...I found the waiting between diagnosis, then the lumpectomy, then seeing the consultant for the result from the path lab very hard, the days drag so.  Try to fill your time, not just with work but watching a fun film (Mamma Mia works for me) or having coffee with friends. I felt very numb when I was told, then a couple of days ago I suddenly had an awful crying jag, I think I howled for most of the afternoonSmiley Embarassedbut I'm ok again now, so don't panic if you suddenly get very weepy.  I hope all goes really well for you.

Yvie178

Dear Jackie
So sorry that you have to join the club, but there are some truly fantastic ladies on here who will be able to give you info, advice, and a friendly ear which will help when no one else really understands what you are going through, sending you a massive hug x yvie
Jackie09

Diagnosed Today :(

Evening everyone,

Just joined the club no-one wants to be in. The doctor didn't tell me much other than options - chemo/surgery or surgery/chemo. Another doctor has ordered CT and MRI scans as have a dull ache in my left arm. Feeling very shocked (although I knew really I had it) and a bit numb. Scan appt up,to 3 weeks wait and then a plan.

Love and hugs x x