Diagnosed Yesterday

Hi all,

I was diagnosed yesterday and still feels like it’s not real. This year has been awful as I was also diagnosed with Parkinson’s in the summer - i’m 43. 

I have been been told the tumor is 9cm and had abnormal results at the front and back of the breast so need a mastectomy which they want to do before Christmas. They are still awaiting some results before they decide approach - the nurse mentioned that I am ER positive and they are waiting for HER2 but to be honest everything just went over my head. 

It’s taken exactly 2 weeks to get diagnosed and I am so in shock - but I am starting to wonder if it’s possible to request a double mastectomy even though my right breast is clear? Has anyone any advice?

Hi Shocked, I am in similar situation to you so I can completely understand how you feel. I have posted for the first time today. I too was diagnosed yesterday and I am also considering whether a double mastectomy might be right for me. I have struggled with hormones all my life, having just got my life on track after a radical hysterectomy and HRT, feel like the rug has been stripped from under me. I’m afraid I can’t give you advice, but I can say that I understand how you feel, which in some ways is what we need right now.

What a shock it is to hear those words. I too have been diagnosed with cancer earlier this month and considered mastectomy or lumpectomy ( my lump is smaller than yours) however having researched the pros and cons and  spoken to the breast nurse about the research behind options have decided on a lumpectomy. I think you need to take a bit of time to get more information and although it’s tempting to opt for a double mastectomy ( and don’t know if that is an option ) you need time to think things through. 

Im not sure if this helps or not but in the early days I just wanted it all chopped off too! But 3 weeks later have felt better able to think things through. Good luck!

Hiya Shocked, you do begin to wonder how much more you can cope with don’t you when you get so much thrown at you , one would be more than enough for anyone to deal with and I’m sorry you are having to face this now on top of your Parkinson’s diagnosis, I would think under the circumstances it’s perfectly reasonable to request a double mastectomy, many ladies opt for it for various reasons. 

The shock your feeling right now will begin to subside once you have all your results back and a full treatment plan, however unimaginable it may seem right now you do come to terms with it and you will get through it all, please keep in touch and let us know how things are going Xx Jo 

Ladies

I just wanted to echo Jo’s advise about the shock you are experiencing at the moment is totally natural but honestly it does get easier once you have your treatment plan.  You will get through this, the evidence of this is clear on this forum, the many ladies who have been where you are now, have completed active treatment and are living their lives again, something which in the early days of diagnosis you can not ever imagine happening.

Sending you all hugs and as Jo says, come on here whenever you need, there will always be somone on here to help and support you

Helena xxx

Hi ladies. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. But I’m glad you have found this forum as there’s loads of support on here. I was like you only 3.5 months ago. I am now half way through my chemotherapy which will be followed by a single mastectomy and rads. Shocked, have you been offered gene testing? I am waiting the results. If the rest came back positive for a gene mutation then my surgeon said he would strongly recommend a double mastectomy. If it’s negative then just the single due to the position of the tumour. Though I have no family history of breast cancer they want to investigate the genes just in case.

Maybe you could discuss this with your surgeon? A double mastectomy is a huge operation and I wouldn’t want to go through it if I didn’t have to.

Cassie x

Hi Shocked

It feels a lot better when you actually have a plan in place. All our treatment plans are different depending on our personal circumstances and the type of BC we have. The doctors are brilliant at tailoring everything for us.

Cassie x