Diagnosed a week ago - in a bit a of tiz.

I’m in France, I was diagnosed a week ago and I had surgery 2 days ago, lumpectomy plus some lymph nodes removed. Currently in hospital waiting for more tests on Monday. I was ok until I came round from the operation. I don’t have a lot of informaton, the doctor’s keeping me longer than expected but I don’t know why and I don’t know what test I’m having of Monday. I know the biospsy came back grade 1 and the lump is small 8mm and the radiologist said contained, no evidence of spread to lymph nodes, I know this is positive but now left on my own in hospital my mind is working overtime and questions keep popping up, doc is not very forthcoming with info - I’m going to try and nab him today. I’m an English teacher and I worked up until the op in fact went straight from work to hospital and I think this kept things normal, now I don’t have normality and it’s sinking in a bit. 

Hi Frenchie

I thought I would reply because I can’t see any replies from other forum members and yet I could have sworn I saw some last week. Oh well. I don’t know if this will help to alleviate your fears a little bit but I do hope so. My lump was twice the size of yours, it was a higher grade and the cancer HAD gone into some of my lymph glands so I had to have them removed, and yet here I am, about two years down the line, my first post-op mammogram showed no sign of cancer and I am feeling great. I have picked up life where I left off, I have had no side-effects apart from a little tiredness and if anything I actually feel better than I did before. I exercise madly, leap all over the place and stride out at a cracking pace when I go out. I have even been known to break into a run occasionally although it probably isn’t very dignified at my age! Oh who cares? :smileyhappy:

Hi there I am laura from Scotland. I was diagnosed last Wednesday wjth breast cancer. My lump is 14 mm I am seeing the surgeon on wed I think i am also going to hv a lumpectomy and lymph gland removed I am terrified i think I am still in shock.what us the surgery like? I hope u make a speedy recovery.

Hi Frenchie

You sound like you are in a very similar situation to me, in that I’m an English teacher in France and working freelance right up to and as soon as possible after the op. I was only diagnosed on Friday (although I spotted the lump a month ago and have been in a complete panic since then, going to my GP, the radiologist, biopsy etc.) My surgery is scheduled for 14th April and I don’t know how I’m going to get through the wait, but can I just ask you how you told your employers, especially if like me you have several and no job security?

Hope you’re doing okay.