Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed and waiting for Surgery

17 REPLIES 17
taurus

Re: Diagnosed and waiting for Surgery

Hi Palomono98

Still feeling fine a wee bit of nausea but I expected that.
I coped with 9 months of nausea while pregnant with both my girls , so this I can live with.
No otherside effects so far.
I am going to choose a wig on Monday just in case but I hope I don't need it.

palomino98

WELL DONE HELEN!! No side effects so far, that's fantastic!

Yes, the op is Saturday and results should be 12 March, so presumably find out then if chemo is on the cards. Will certainly have hormone therapy as strongly ER+ but other analyses not yet known.

My ex (we're the greatest friends) came today and was grumbling how his shower plughole clogs up as HIS hair is thinning so rapidly - and he isn't getting medication dripped into him... his hair is actually quite thick, and greying, but with a shiny patch in the middle... I managed to laugh, another few weeks and I'll throttle him if he complains again!

taurus

Hi Palomino98

Everything went well with my 1st treatment today.
I managed to keep the cold cap on and it wasn’t bad at all.
I too have thick hair so I am not sure if I got full contact with my scalp.
The nurse prodded all round it and said it was fine but I expected it to be colder and more uncomfortable it was -5 . I got a tremendous headache when I first put it on but that went away within 10 minutes. I had the cold cap on for 4 hours in total.
I know I could still get some side effects but I feel fine now and I think I have crossed a big hurdle already. It’s often the unknown that frightens us most.
I see you may be going for your OP 1st March good luck with that and I would recommend you try the cold cap if you do have to have Chemo you have nothing to lose and it might save at least some of your hair. I am hoping that because my hair is thick I will keep enough of it not to notice.

Best of luck

Helen

palomino98

Hi Taurus, good luck with the cold cap, let us know how it goes. How long and thick is your hair? Mine is long, thick and quite straight, I'm 51 and have never had it short, desperately don't want this wretched C to force it! Lyn xx

Cryst

Good luck Taurus. I had my first chemo yesterday and did try the cold cap - it is worst for the first few minutes when it goes on - real grit the teeth time, then it gets more bearable. There has to be an easier way!

xx
Cryst

taurus

Thank you for your advice regarding rabbit.
I am so pleased it sounds like I will still be able to look after him myself after all.
I always wear gloves when cleaning around his litter tray and his bedding ect.
I will check with the doctor as well but thank you.

First treatment tomorrow . I plan to try the cool cap so here's hoping I can bear it and it works.

palomino98

Hi AnnieMarie

I'm sorry to hear about your grandmother, an added stress when you have so much to think about already. Looking forward to your aunt and uncle's visit sounds like something special, do you not see much of them?

My snake has whole defrosted gerbils or mice, I must be more diligent about wearing gloves, perhaps using tongs. Chemo patients are in the high risk category as it affects the white blood cells. I'm sure basic hygiene is enough, my life - like yours - centres around the animals and obviously what goes in, must come out!!! My nearly-grown-up kids are fine doing the horses but it's always me clearing litter trays and dog (and snake) poo. I think advice re tetanus has changed but I'll check with my doc. It used to be boosters every 10 years. My vet said recently that horses now only need tetanus boosting every 3 years rather than 2, as it has always been, so they may have altered the recommendation for humans too. And I'll ask specifically how possible chemo treatment affects it.

AnnieMarie

Hi taurus, yes your right, fortunately I have a very understanding hubby who knows the birds come first and wouldn't have it any other way. My Goldie/Steppes eagle, loves attention and although he was out for the best part of yesturday and was flown, he cried when it was time to put him back in his aviary. When I say cry, I don't mean tears, his is the opposite he tries to hang onto the glove and makes little sounds not expected from such a big bird. He will be in his element today as we are visiting a school.

Gosh, Lyn, I hadn't even considered the hygiene element, i'm constantly cleaning aviaries and preparing, rabbit, pheasant, rats, quail and the like for the birds, but will bear what you say in mind, common sence really, one of my short falls.

Well today feeling a little low, my Grandmother has just died, so added strain on my parents, but cleaning the house in preparation for my darling uncle and auntie who will be coming over from Belgium will keep me busy for the next week, and that will then bring me up to op time.

Will be thinking of you on Wednesday taurus, you take care girl.

xxx

palomino98

Hi taurus, welcome and good luck with your treatment programme.

Cat droppings are a real concern as they can carry the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis, similarly dog droppings and toxocariasis. The risk is especially great to pregnant women, and those with compromised immune systems, which includes people undergoing chemotherapy. Rabbits can, rarely, become infected but the parasite will not reproduce in a rabbit so they cannot spread it - they will not shed infected droppings, and there is no risk of it from rabbit litter boxes, but use normal hygiene precautions, wear gloves for cleaning (and gardening), disinfect litter trays with boiling water, wash hands thoroughly after handling. I don’t think humans can catch any diseases from a rabbit. Any contact with any animal that results in your skin being broken should be treated with care, though, and have a word with your medical team about tetanus immunity. All the best, Lyn xxx

taurus

Hello AnnieMarie,

I am new to this site too,I start my treatment on Wednesday.
I also have an apointment on Tuesday but for what I am not sure. It came through the post while I was away for a few days with my husband ( a wee break before I start chemo ).
I had a little giggle to myself about you mentioning your animals.
I have a pet rabbit who is adorable and I am a bit concerned about looking after him while going through the treatment.
There was something in one of the leaflets about avoiding cat litter trays and handling animals.
I cuddle him every day and although he is outdoors now he uses a litter tray which I clean out daily. I also bring him in doors occasionally if he seems poorly or lonely. My husband often teases he's better looked after than him.
I am the only one who handles him as my husband and daughter are little afraid of him, he had a wee bite at them but I am sure it is because he senses their fear.
My husband is prepared to look after him but he won't handle him.
Congratulations on stopping smoking I stopped 10 years ago and have never looked back.

palomino98

Awww, a chap around here has a Russian female and I have a gorgeous pic of her 'kissing' him... she's a big bird - a very big bird - and he said my broken coated black and tan terrier would catch her eye nicely... I thought he was joking...!! We have a small barn owl across the field most evenings, not a threat to the poor dog!

You're right, feeling you need to get back into the sway of things for an animal's sake is really a great motivator but in the long run, you do need to give yourself time to heal properly, and from what research I've done, the sheer tiredness can come as a tremendous shock. If chemo is on the cards it's even more of a challenge.

I find it terribly hard to trust even the rest of the family to do things properly - but by that, I mean doing it my way, and I have to try to relax and believe they will be ok. I'm sure yours will too, and if you can delegate the physical hard work as much as possible you can concentrate on getting yourself well again. All the very best to you xxx

AnnieMarie

Hi Karen,

Thank you for the welcome, it's nice to know that there is a place one can go to chat to others without thinking you got to put a brave face on.

xxx

AnnieMarie

Hi Katie

I have placed the Resource Pack on order, thank you for that.

xxx

AnnieMarie

Thank you all so very much, it's a strange position to find yourself in, i'm a very lucky girl, the lump has been there some 6 months but so small I thought it was nothing to worry about, only went to doctor because I had a lump come up on my face which hurt and thought if anything this could be something nasty, since i'm out in all weathers with the birds. Mentioned the indented nipple and small lump and the doctor got the ball rolling and within a fortnight I was diagnosed.

Lyn, I have a Bald Eagle called Baldric who is a year old, he's a real gentleman, a Goldie/Steppes eagle who is also a year old and is justly named Buster, he's the rascal of the family and a Female Steppes eagle called Orlenda who is 4 and can eat her food without it even touching the sides. Yes, they are a worry, obviously I have to keep contact with them as you get such a close bond with an Eagle. Buster hates being put back into his aviary, he just loves to be the centre of attention at all times....and normally is. Luckily, my Colleagues are used to handling them and we have some lovely volunteers who help us with our bookings at Schools etc., they have all offered to come out and fly the birds if I find I cannot manage, still I do worry. But then this will motivate me, so not a bad thing.

xxx

palomino98

Hi Annie, and welcome. Well done for giving up smoking! I'm a week or so further down the line, dx 8 Feb, mast/recon on 1 March. Will be expecting hormone therapy as ER+ but no decision yet on chemo/rads - hair loss is my biggest immediate dread for now. Waiting isn't easy.

It's not always easy to get help with the more unusual animals. What eagles do you have, and how old? They are such magnificent birds, We have four ponies, four cats, a Jack x Lakeland terror, and a snake, who has defrost every 10 days or so. I'll feed him this week so he won't need any more until I'm home. My kids are 21, 19 and 16, quite capable of looking after things, but I'm sure they don't realise just how much I personally do. We also have abundant wild birds and although I'll write detailed lists, I'm sure they'll decide someone else should take responsibility for the things they don't normally think about - walking the dog not just putting him in the garden, doing the birds' water and feeders, cleaning the litter tray... Good luck and keep in touch, this is such a wonderful support.

Lyn xxxx

owls4eva

Hi Annie

Welcome to this site where you will find a wealthy of information and lots of lovely ladies and gents to give you support.

Everyone will tell you the same thing the waiting is awful. Good luck for your surgery and well done for giving up the ciggies give yourself a big pat on the back

Sending hugs

Karen

Lucy_BCC

Dear Annie

Welcome to the forums, I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis, I am sure that you will receive lots of support and information from your fellow forum members very soon. I also wanted to let you know that Breast Cancer Care have published a Resource Pack, it has been designed for anyone newly diagnosed with information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and various treatments, it is available via the following link or by contacting the helpline: http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk//content.php?page_id=7514 You may find our helpline useful to call during this time for more information, they can also give information about our other support services and also offer support and a 'listening ear'. The number to call is 0808 800 6000 Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm, Saturday, 9am - 2pm. I hope you find this helpful.

Best wishes
Katie

AnnieMarie

Diagnosed and waiting for Surgery

Hello my lovelies,

My name is Annie and on the 13th February I was diagnosed with breast cancer. My hubby and friends are all very supportive, although I worry for my elderly mother who has taken the news badly.

I am 40 years young, have 3 cairn terrorist dogs, 3 eagles, falcon, hawk, and two cuddly owls. I have been told I won't be able to lift my 6 to 8 lb eagles for a while, which came as a bit of a downer.

At the moment I am booked in for pre-op on the 5th March, and surgery on the 14th, the waiting is 'orrible', just want it over and done with so that I can know the course of treatment and prepare myself. At the moment it is nipple and surrounding areas and gland removal, tamoxifen and radiotherapy. Not sure about Chemotherapy as yet, this is the bit I would really like to know about and the not knowing is the hard bit.

Oh, one good thing has come out of it, I have given up the odd ciggy, decided that if I could not give it up whilst having cancer, I would never give it up. It's been 6 days now and I think I have stopped climbing the walls.

Godbless

Annie