Diagnosed before biospy

Hi everyone, I’m new here and I’m just feeling so confused right now I was hoping someone could help me.
So a couple of weeks ago I noticed that I had dimpling on the outside of one of my breasts, GP also thought she could feel a lump so referred me onto hospital. I went last thurs and saw the consultant first who after examining me said something along the lines of "there’s definitely something there, I’m afraid I think it’s prob something nasty and we will need to get you pushed through straight away for treatment’ and literally sent me on my way to radiology for the ultrasound mammogram and biopsy. I’m no radiographer but I could see the abnormality clear as day but they also said one of my lymph nodes didn’t look right so took two fine needle biopsy. When I went back into the consultant room he starts instantly discussing various treatments chemo surgery the meds ill be on for about 5 to 10 yrs I had to stop him as ask if he could tell me do I definitly have cancer and he replied that he was pretty sure I was. Then I had this nurse sat with me explaining that i needed to consider all my options regarding things like having more children (I’m 31 with a 2yr old) etc by the time I go back this week for the biopsy results as I will prob be having treatment very soon. I was so shell-shocked at the time I didn’t take anything in. I even has to ask my husband what I had been told. But I keep second guessing myself. Can they actually diagnose cancer even before a biopsy?

rachie

Oh dear you have been through the mill.

They would need to have the results of the biopsy to definitely confirm whether it is cancer or not, which is why they do one. Until they have the results of the biopsy they will not be able to put together a treatment plan.

When are you due back to the clinic?

Sending you a hug xxxx

Thank you for your reply!
I’m just so confused, surely he would have just said that there is a chance I have cancer and that I would wait until the biopsy results before saying anything else to me.
The nurse made it sound so definite too.
I’m supposed to go back Thurs but I’ve still not recieved my appt through the post so I’m going to chase it up in the morning

I had the exact same experience as you had. I couldn’t believe that I was diagnosed without biopsy results. I’m 33, with 2 yr old twins. We had our embryos frozen before I started chemo. Mine was also in the the lymph nodes. They will make up a treatment plan for you and everything will move very quickly. I’ve had 5 chemo sessions and still feel that I haven’t taken any of this in.

Rachel,

Best of luck on Thursday ?

Hey all.
Sorry I haven’t posted sooner, things defo moved quickly! Was seen for my results last Thurs, diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma grade 2 with spread to lymph node. Literally the consultant walked into the room and before he sat down just said “yep it’s what I thought it was, I’ve got a slot on Mon for surgery if you want it”!
So yesterday I had lumpectomy, with all the lymph node stuff under my arm removed. I’m sat on the ward here this morning probably be discharged later today. I’m ok, maybe the lack of time has been good for me not to think about it, it will prob sink in when the chemo starts once I recover from this.
I feel like I’ve joined some sort of club, apologies if that sounds a bit flippant but when they did all my preop last Thursday I was handed like a goodie bag with my own posh ringbinder, some leaflets and what not.
As regards to the fertility treatment, they said that the type of tumour i have responds to hormones. They said that if was to have fertility treatment I may have an increased risk of it causing further spread of cancer though that risk varies from person to person so it may be only tiny for me. I don’t know how I feel about that. I’d love another child, but I have to get better for the blessing of a son we already have. My husband has ruled it out completely he gets a bit panicky over risk and will always take the safest option so I suppose its just gonna be the one child for us!
I’m gonna try and post a bit more on this forum when I can, it’s still so new and I could do with all your help and support as much as possible xx

Alicia, hope the chemo is going OK for you xxx

Hi rachi85
Yes same happened to me, I went to my GP after feeling what seemed like a hardening of tissues on my left breast. GP examined and immediately referred me to the breast clinic as he seemed bit concerned. I was called in to the breast clinic literally two days post my gp referral and upon the initial examination by the hospital consultant she told me that there is definitely cancer. This was just from self examination of touching the area and lymph nodes.
She then told me I will have to do a mamagram and will also be getting my ultra sound and fine needle biopsy on left breast and under arms for lymph nodes. That was all done on the same day and I was called in for the biopsy result a week later. Which confirmed grade 3 breast cancer with 1-3 lymph nodes affected. So in short the diagnosis can be done before the biopsy results are in. I’m sorry that you are going through this but remember you are not alone.lots of love