72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed last Thursday 10-04-2014 at Age 46 !!!

24 REPLIES 24
J01

Re: Diagnosed last Thursday 10-04-2014 at Age 46 !!!

CindyB

Hi Angel, sorry to hear of your complications, I pray that all clears out soon and that in the mean time you're comfy.

I writing this note from hospital after recovering from another surgery under general to clear my haematoma. And being alone in my hospital room I've had time to pray and seek God also made lots of research and my confusion is whether I should be taking the recommendation on Chemo. The more I contemplate this with the results that a clear margin was taken and that I'm both ER and Her2 positive, no lymph nodes affected. Anyone else in my situation? I am meeting my Oncologist on the 2nd of June to discuss the benefits. Such big decisions to make. I pray for a devine intervention!!!!!
angel77

hi cindyB .. i too have to have chemo as my cancer was a grade 3 and im also having herceptin injections with radiotheraphy and tamoxifen for 5 years . i had my operation at frimley park hospital on 22nd april 2014 and last week i was at the doctors as the bruising from the operation had got bigger ,they told me it was a haematoma ,they didnt say i need it removed .. i have my MUGA heart scan this wednesday then i am waiting for a date for chemo to start if my heart is ok xx
CindyB

Hi all, finally got my results today. All cancer was removed 3 lymph nodes was taken and all clear. God is so good!! Cancer was a grade 3 and fast growing. So unfortunately, I have to have Chemo and take Herceptin and tamoxifen tablets. I also have to have radiotherapy. I am also suffering with haematoma and had to have 200 ml of old blood removed today which may delay my treatment. Anyone has or have had this problem???
logicienne

Hi Cindy, I have 3 small girls...5, 2 and 10 months.

They found my cancer when my youngest got really fussy feeding. I've had a mastectomy and since had full axillary lymph node clearance and they found the cancer had spread there too.

I started my Chemo on the 29th April, so 3 days ago... Anyway what I really wanted to say is that my hospital gave me a fantastic book called Mummy's Lump, which we have also copied and sent a copy into school with our 5 yr old. It's done in really simple language and you can miss out bits that aren't relevant to your particular situation. School say they have read it with my daughter a couple of times and she is asking questions both at school and at home.

I had to have a Hickman line in as I have poor vein access and she wants to see my pipe every morning! 

I would be honest with your kids, i havent been able to lift my 2 yr old or 10 month old since my surgery (got out of tons of nappy changes!) And they have found that hard to adjust too.

They have had to be careful to have cuddles on my right side and not to go to my left after surgery, but things have now got even more confusing for them as my Hickman line which went in 3 days ago is now on my right, so cuddles are becoming a bit problematical with the youngest 2 as they don't understand what gentle is!

Hopefully as yours are older, it will be much easier for them to adjust 🙂 

I have spent the last 2 days feeling sick and spent the majority of it in bed, but at least they know why. Woke up feeling much better today, so going off to the hospital to get more seroma drained...

Good luck with everything and see if you can get a copy of the book, if not pm me and I'll email you a PDF version from when we scanned it for school.

Incidentally, you may want to have a chat with your school,so they are aware of what is going on. School have been brilliant for us, hanging on with Abi when we have been delayed at the hospital for picking her up at the end of the day etc and just general support when she's been tearful etc. But if they don't know, they can't help!

Waffle over *hugs* and hang in there... /x

Angie55

Hi Cindy
Hope it goes well for you tomorrow. I will be thinking about you. I was given an appointment when I left the hospital for the results, which was for 2 weeks after the op.
Take Care
Angie. X
CindyB

Hi Shell, hope all is going ok with you.  Its just so much information to take in?  The 2nd is finally here and I cant wait to have this lump removed from my body.  I will not say that it hasnt been a struggle up till now but I live by faith and been drinking plenty of Carrot, Beet root and apple juice (highly recommended).

I go into hospital for 12 noon tomorrow and have been told it will take up to 10 days to get results and confirm my treatment.  Hope youve had yours now and that your treatment is not too drastic.

Havent yet told my 7 and 5 year old but they know I'm having a small op tomorrow.

Stay strong.

CindyB x

CindyB

Thanks for all your support.....Surgery day is fast approaching - next friday 2nd May.  There have been ups and down but with faith I have taken over my life.  The devil is a liar!! I speak complete healing over my body in the name of Jesus!!

Mark 11:23 – “"Truly I say to you, whosoever says to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that what he says is going to happen, it will be granted him!

Stay positive and have a blessed day!!

poemsgalore

Hi Cindy,

I was diagnosed back in November 1st 2012 with Ductal Invasive with lymph node involvement, Grade 3. My surgery was on December 12th 2012, 5 weeks later. Mastectomy and SNB. I've since had chemo and now on a hormone tablet for at least 5 years.  Was stage 2B. Here is some information about staging from the Macmillan website:

"Stage 1

The cancer (lump) is 2cm or smaller and has not spread to the lymph nodes in the armpit.

Stage 2

Stage 2 is divided into two stages:

• Stage 2A – the cancer is smaller than 2cm and has spread to the lymph nodes in the armpit OR is bigger than 2cm and has not spread to the lymph nodes OR it can’t be found in the breast but is in the lymph nodes.
  • Stage 2B – the cancer is smaller than 5cm and has spread to the lymph nodes in the armpit OR is bigger than 5cm but has not spread to the lymph nodes.

Stage 1 or 2 breast cancer is often called early breast cancer.

Stage 3

Stage 3 is divided into three stages:

• Stage 3A – the cancer can’t be found in the breast OR it is under 5cm and has spread to the lymph nodes in the armpit (which are clumped together) OR it is bigger than 5cm and has spread to the lymph nodes.
  • Stage 3B – the cancer has spread to tissue near the breast and may be attached to skin or muscle. There are usually cancer cells in the lymph nodes in the armpit.
  • Stage 3C – the cancer has spread to 10 or more lymph nodes in the armpit, or to lymph nodes below the breastbone, near the neck or under the collarbone.

Sometimes stage 3 breast cancer is called locally advanced breast cancer.

Stage 4

The cancer has spread to other parts of the body such as the bonesliver or lungs. This is called secondary or metastatic breast cancer."

Reading your post, it is possible you might be Stage 2A

poemsgalore

Shell15

Hi Cindy,

I was diagnosed on 2nd April following an ultrasound, mammogram, biopsy & fna. I had a lumpectomy on 17th so Thursday just gone. I have to wait until 30th now to see what pathology results say as to whether I'll need more surgery (they did sentinel node biopsy to check if affected) or if it will be onto further treatments.

I was told at my diagnosis that I had an invasive stage 1B, grade 2, HER2 positive & oestrogen positive. I didn't realise before all of this just how many different types of breast cancer there are. I'm still trying to fathom all of the abbreviations & meanings of things.

Hopefully the wait until the 2nd May won't drag for you, try to keep yourself as busy as possible with normality!

P.S. I'm only 33! x
Donnaandfamily

Hi Cindy

I decided to go private....cost £3,500 and was worth every penny. The treatment was excellent....had my results on the Monday was in theatre on the Wednesday....... You still have to wait 5 weeks for wound to heal prior to chemo if yu require it.

I was out the same day....... hope this helps

x

CindyB

Hi Wendy,

Thanks for your update.  The first hurdle is over for you - thank God!  I pray that all goes well with your pathology report and your recommended treatment is minimum in Jesus name.  In the meantime take it easy and have plenty of rest of course Smiley Wink

All the best

CindyB

WP23

Hi CindyB

I am also 46 and was diagnosed on 2nd April with invasive ductal carcinoma grade 2. I had WLE and sentinal node biopsy yesterday, the operation went well, but need to wait for pathology report for treatment plan. I have very little discomfort thankfully and was allowed home around 11 am this morning, surgery was at 3 yesterday afternoon. This site has been a godsend and i have picked up on lot of valuable information and tips, e.g. blue wee from die used to seek out lymph nodes and getting a good bra pre op, i got a sports bra and it is very comfy and supportive.

There is so much support for all of us these days (thank god).

As others have said the time will fly between now and your operaation day due to pre op appointments etc.

Take care x

Wendy

CindyB

Dear All,

The support on here is just amazing!!  Thank you all so much.

This has been very emotional for me especailly as a christian I know that this is an opportune time to practice my faith but it feels like the hardest thing to do.  I have surrounded myself with family and friends and we are all praying for a positive result.  Already my first miracle has happened.  I was told last Thursday that the usual time it would take for surgery is 3 to 4 weeks and especially with the Easter holiday it is very unlikely to be 3 weeks.  Yesterday afternoon I called the hospital even though the nurse told me it would be too early to request a date but was given a surgery date ot the 7th of May.....I continuded to pray for an earlier date.  Today I received a call from the hospital to say that my date has now been brought forward to the 2nd of May.  That is 3 weeks and a day from my diagnosis date.  God is good. 

Prayer changes things.  Trust in God!!

CindyB

CindyB

Wow, so much support on here and so many similarities, I'm happy my husband found me this forum......mine is also Invasive Ductal Carcinoma.  I have now been given a surgery date for the 2nd May.

All the best with your treatment

CindyB xx

CindyB

Thank you Angie....I pray that all continue to go well with your treatment xx

CindyB

Hi Princessbear, thanks for you reply....I pray that all goes well with your surgery today.  I agree it can be very emotional but I have surrounded myself with friends and families that would pray for me continually without ceasing.  Already miracles are happening....late yesterday I was given a date for surgery as the 7th of May and prayed for an earlier date and this morning I received a call to say that the date had been brought forward to the 2nd of May.  God is good. xx

keeks

Hi CindyB

I'm sorry to hear you have joined our horrible club, your reaction is completely normal and I can remember feeling just the same. 3- 4 weeks is the standard waiting time and I needed this time to get my head round my new situation, to adapt and adjust.  It is normal to want to scream "get this out" but you will find dealing with things emotionally takes time.

if you can easily afford the private fees then go ahead but that might only get you an op a few days sooner. However cancer is an expensive business, my rads is going to cost me £400 travel to hospital, then there's things like underwear and creams, if it was me I'd keep any available funds for a post treatment holiday.

the NHS are experts in treating BC there are so many of us out here getting treatment.

that's just my personal view and you must do the best for you.

as for your staging,  I was told when I got biopsy results but many people have to wait until it's removed., or are told a stage and it's changed after the pathology report is recieved. It's only then that your full treatment is decided. 

this is a waiting game. Waiting for op, then waiting to heal,  then waiting for the next thing.

take care

Keeks

lucy12

Hi Cindy

Sorry to hear you're joining our club but this is a great place for support and information.

Just to help set your mind at rest a little, I found my lump last Easter, finally got a diagnosis of Invasive Ductal Carcinoma on 23rd July and had surgery on 6th September - just over 6 weeks from diagnosis. We had a three week holiday booked two weeks after my diagnosis and they saw no problem with me waiting to have my surgery when I got back. If they had any doubt that your surgery needed to be done quicker, they would fit you in sooner.

Good luck with your journey and keep us posted

Lu xx

Angie55

Hi CindyB

I was diagnosed on 9th January and had my surgery on 29th January. I was told my tumour was 8mm but was not told the Grade of the cancer. I got my results on the 13th February, this was when I was told it was a Grade 3, no lymph nodes involved. The total taken away with clear margins was 13mm. I then started taking Anastrozole for 5 years and Adcal(vitamin D tablet. I was told that I would be having Radiotherapy which I started on 3rd April. I am quite pleased with the timing of all my procedures. I dont think you will get a acurate picture until after your surgery. It is the waiting that is the worst thing when you have been diagnosed with BC. Please keep using the forum it is excellent for advice from ladies that have been through the process of BC. Any more questions just ask. Hope all goes well.

Take Care

Angie.X

princessbear

Hi Cindy, sorry to hear of your diagnosis, but you will get lots of support on here and answers to your questions. I have found it to be a godsend. I was given my surgery date four weeks ago following diagnosis of high grade DCIS. (I am 44) i was totally shocked as my gp sent me for a mammogram 'just to rule anything out'. My surgery is today...I am up so early as I'm allowed a 'light breakfast' before 6am! I am actually feeling quite calm and i'm sure that is largely to do with having time to adjust to my diagnosis over the last few weeks. I have read a lot (the bcc booklets are excellent) and asked many questions, so I guess I have had time to accept this and mentally prepare a bit. Everyone is different, but once diagnosed I continued to work and found this a good distraction. I won't lie to you, some days have been hard and I have been all over the place with my emotions...it is certainly a rollercoster.

I wish you the very best for your surgery. Take care. Xx

Ann_R

Hi Cindy

This is all perfectly normal ..... the timescale and the worrying!

You will have so many appointments to attend before admittance that you will wonder where the time went.

I also got told that nothing much would change in three or four weeks, and I believe that.

Good luck and best wishes.
Ann
Stedie

Hi

I was diagnosed and had op three weeks later get results tom x it is usual and it will fly as you will see lots if people in meantime x I was told it the time scale so you can adjust before surgery x. Hope this helps x I was also told mine grade two but can't tell properly till after surgery x
Lucy_BCC

Hi CindyB and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sure you will find support and shared experiences here, in addition our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2 so please feel free to call to talk your queries and concerns over

Here's a link to the BCC 'DCIS' information which you may find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-canc...

Take care
Lucy BCC

CindyB

Diagnosed last Thursday 10-04-2014 at Age 46 !!!

I was diagnosed with DICS last Thursday (2 1/2 cm) and was told by consultant that I will have to have this remove with an addition 2 cm of the surrounding area.  Of course, I suppose, like all others I would want this to happen sooner rather than later but I've been told that this will happen in the next 3 to 4 weeks as the recomended NHS waiting time!!!.  I just wonder if this is the normal time in this situation.  I am even considering going private but this is costing in the region of £4000.  I'm I being too hasty is it really ok to wait 4 weeks?

Some people on here are have been told what stage their cancer is at but although I had a mammogram, scan and biopsy, i'm being told that until I've had the lump removed there is no way of telling me what stage the cancer is at - anyone else is being told this?