cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed last thursday

5 REPLIES 5
Mariej2205

Re: Diagnosed last thursday

Hi Star I was diagnosed in June and had my lumpectomy in August. I'm 45 with 2 grown children and a 3 yr old grandson. My bc was invasive grade 3 all nodes clear and they got a clear margin around the lump. I am due to start 21 weeks of chemo within the next few weeks and then 4 weeks of radiotherapy. I feel like my life is on hold while all this gets sorted but so far I've had 7 days off work in total. I'm being really strong and positive... I take after my mum who had bc and mastectomy when she was 45 and this year she turns 75. I remember my mum telling me she had it and it just made me be strong for her and helping her kept me busy. Kids are so strong and take things in their stride. My 2 are older at first they were shocked but they have been amazing. Keep us posted and here to chat anytime xx
Gillyteacher

Hello there, I thought I would reply / comment on your post. That's awful that you find yourself alone with your girls. Although I have a partner who's there for me I think a cancer diagnosis leaves us all feeling alone. I kinda feel like I'm in a bubble and everyone else is out there living. I've been diagnosed just 10 days ago. I'm scared as hell but trying to remain positive. I don't know if this would help you but I find deep breathing good to calm me down. You didn't say how old your girls were- are any of them at an age to support you? I have a nearly 16 year old daughter and an 18 year old son. Both have been marvellous at supportin me. Let us know what happens and how your doing. Stay strong. One thing I think helps me is eating really well to boost immune system. The immunity of your body is tantamount to getting through. I've kind of made it my priority to get as much info on getting into good shape and eating whole foods and that's keeping me going. It might help you too, sending positive vibes.......😃😃

Ellie

Hi there,

I was diagnosed late August(ductal, grade 2, 17mm) and had lumpectomy and 3 nodes removed last thursday. I was on my own too when I got results and it was all a bit surreal but I stayed quite strong am staying positive with the occasional wobble!  Back to see the consutant tomorrow to have dressings removed and most likely results, bit anxious about it but there is nothing I can do to change it, praying for clear margins and clear lymph nodes.....I'm 41 with two dependant children and single.

I've only posted once before but read lots of posts which is helpful, it is amazing the amount of women affected by this and remember it's very curable.

Stay in touch and feel free to ask any questions(nothing too difficult!)

x

Elaine67

Hi Star

I'm also recently diagnosed (last Wednesday). I'm 47 with two small boys (3 and 7). I took my husband with me as a friend who has just come through the other side had told me to as she was on her own when she was diagnosed - otherwise I would have gone on my own in the complete belief that it wasn't going to happen to me. I'm so sorry you went through that on your own - do you have friends around to support you now?

Your surgery sounds similiar to what I'm going to have - I have my MRI booked in for next week. I agree that the wait is the absolute worst part of this. 

Message me if you would like to 

Take care of yourself

Elaine

x

hopefulholly

Hi Star,  I'm so sorry to learn of your situation; I can't imagine how it must feel to receive the results alone and I really do feel for you. It's probably no comfort to you but even though my husband was with me when I was diagnosed, we both forgot much of what was said after being told it was cancer.

It's hard to believe now but this is the worst stage, being told you have cancer and not knowing what lies ahead and waiting for results of tests  / surgery. It sounds like you are going to have a wide local excision (lumpectomy) along with a sample taken of your lymph nodes. This is standard procedure. When surgeons remove a tumour from the breast they aim to achieve a clear margin, meaning that the cells around the tumour are clear. The procedure is quite straightforward and many of us are allowed home from hospital on the same or next day. Unfortunately that leads into another wait for results. 

As you've been reading posts on here you'll see that we feel better once we have a plan. It's then that we focus on each stage in order to get through it. We're all different; some of us like to know all we can whilst others prefer not to know.

I would recommend you write a list of questions to take with you prior to surgery or phone your Breast Care Nurse beforehand. If you haven't been allocated a BCN then ask for one. You could also call the helpline here. I've done so on a number of occasions and have found the advice and support invaluable.  Do you have a relative or friend who can support you through this? 

I was diagnosed in April and am coming through the other side. The  prognosis and advances in treatment of breast cancer have really advanced. I personally don't believe that a positive mental attitude can change our condition but it really does help us get through this. 

At 54 I'm a lot older than you but I'm sure younger members will come along soon to offer their support.

Wishing you all the very best xx

Star_25_star

Diagnosed last thursday

Hi I have been reading posts on here since I have been diagnosed ... I was on my own when I got the results and really can't remember everything I should have .. I know that it's invasive and I will need surgery first to try to get clear margins and some test on lymph nodes ... My head is a complete mess .. I'm 39 with 4 girls and my other half left me 10 weeks ago so I feel completely lost ... My surgery is on the 8th of next month and the waiting to see exactly what I have is awful .. Feeling quite alone so thought I would register