106 REPLIES 106
Sy

Re: Diagnosed last week

We certainly will, totally chilling out and recharging my batteries x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Oh lucky you to be able to get away from this horrible weather.  Have a lovely time xxx

Sy

You too xx
Sy

Morning, no I am done. I am still keeping up everything for the next few weeks. We went shopping and lunch after yesterday, treated to a slice of New York cheesecake. We fly to Tenerife on 29th so looking forward to that. xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Oops I had you down for finishing on 18th, ringing the bells for you tonight xxx

Hope you are doing something lovely to celebrate the end of active treatment, but remember that for the next couple of weeks you will still be having the effects of the rads so keep up yoru regime xxx

bell.jpg

Hufflepuff

Congratulations Sy.  I finished treatment yesterday. Now you can enjoy Christmas! Best wishes for 2018 xxx

Sy

I rang the bell today 😆20171214_113027.jpg

Sy

🍾 chilling xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

whey hey we will be ringing the bells for you then very soon 🙂

Helena xxx

Sy

Morning,

Treatment is going okay. Half way through, just 7 left to do.

Will have a look at the link thanks.

Sue X

ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Just seen your post on here, how is this week going. 

If you want to you could post on the following as there will a lot of ladies on there who will be able to help support and compare notes

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Radiotherapy/December-2017-Radiotherapy/m-p/1170312#M30272

How many are you having?

Helena xxx

Sy

Had 3rd session of radiotherapy today. Weird tingling sensations now in breast and a little swelling, feeling tired which I knew was a side effect. The staff at the Freeman have been lovely. The staff all the way through the QE have been fantastic as well.
Sy

You will enjoy CP xx
Xena75

How lovely having a holiday to look forward to! I'm feeling slightly hard done by with our booking for centre Parcs, I'd love some sun!!!!!!

However CP is booked for our children as we had to cancel the one we had booked for xmas, and my 6yr old is so looking forward to it as she knows I will be "better" then and can enjoy swimming etc. The sun can wait!

Sy

Thanks, will speak to them on Monday x
Jobey68

Hi Sy, 

I've also got travel insurance through my bank but it doesn't cover Breast cancer , I Could have added it on For about £75 but I did a search first and have taken out annual cover with Coverwise for £38! Enjoy your trip! We did the same after my active treatment and was the best thing ever ! Xx 

anitajane

anitajane

Hi Sy

Definitely call your insurance company. My partner booked a surprise holiday in January next year for us after my diagnosis in July but before my surgery in September and rads in November. He wanted something for me to look forward to after my active treatment.

Our house insurance includes travel insurance. When I called them they wanted around £150 just to cover the holiday (for both of us).

I was recommended StaySure who are experts in pre-existing medical conditions and they were very helpful. They wouldn’t insure me though until I had my results after my surgery ie they needed to know if any nodes were involved or chemo. As soon as I was able to confirm no to either and yes to radiotherapy they insured us for £98 and that covers up to £5000 cancellation for each of us.

Hope that helps.
Anita xx
Sy

Thanks Helena, will have a look x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Oh that is something lovely to look forward to 🙂

I am not sure about travel insurance, but there is a thread heres the link

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Work-finance-and-travel

it might be worth posting on there to see if anyone can help you on that one.

Helena xxx

Sy

I was nervous too. As it was my left breast that was operated on, frightened of putting pressure on using gear stick and handbrake. Didn't drive very far, but like you say 'freedom'. I did have pins and needles, but just rested when I got back. Don't need to drive again for a couple of days, so just going to take it slow and easy. We have booked a holiday (4 nights) to Tenerife for New Year. We have our travel insurance through our bank account, do I need to inform them of this?
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Oh the freedom, I remember although being rather nervous, the first time I drove after my op, it was wonderful even if I only went round the block.

Seindg you hugs for the 14th, let us know how you get on

Helena xxx

Sy

Got my appointment to see the oncologist for 14th November and CT scan. Started driving again yesterday.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

Thats great to hear you are the other side of your op.  Know what you mean about the bra, I hated mine but actually it was extremely confortable, mind you I am back in my wired ones now.

It is about manaing your pain and not being a martyr, as the days go on you will find that you are able to go longer between taking them but dont do it too soon.

The exercises might be uncomfortable at first but try to do them twice a day as they will help your mobility and especially if you are having radiotherapy as your arms will need to be above your head.

Helena xxx

Sy

So pleased everything went ok. 3 weeks on and I am still wearing my ugly bra's, but so comfy as I am still a little swollen and sore. Look after you xx
Jamesy46

Well I'm home , WLE and SNB all done , didn't have dye so that's a plus I'm not an avatar , I'm sore obv but dosing up before the ache as advised earlier , Thankyou . I've got my huge wireless bra on which is so ugly but I've got to say one of the most comfortablist I've ever worn ! I may keep it x going to do as I'm told and rest for a couple of days , go back for my results in ten days so that's not too long to wait , and find out next part of this journey , thanks for your help and advise so far x
Jamesy46

Thankyou all so much x I'm so independent now I find it hard to have help even off my girls xx I have stocked up on the painkillers and will definitely heed all of your advice xxxxx
Optimissy64

Hi Jamesy

just adding to the reassurance: I had WLE and SNB last December and I live alone and I was fine. What I did do was heavy jobs in advance - ordering and stacking logs, hoovering the stairs, changing the bed and ironing, that sort of thing, and as you aren't allowed to drive for 2 weeks I did online shopping for the first time. Knocking up a meal and washing up were fine.

Echoing other posts, take pankillers even if you think you don't need them, do the exercises religiously, rest when you need to, go for a walk when you need to, and enjoy the visitors you will doubtless get bearing flowers and choccies. Good luck for Friday. xxx

Sue C
Community Champion

Hi Jamesy

I've just been reading through this thread and I hope you don't mind me popping in....  

I had the same operation as you last year and there were a few things that I learnt along the way! You may feel quite sore for the first couple of days, so the trick is to take the painkillers regularly. Don't wait for the pain to start first!

You will be able to do most things on your own. The one thing I found tricky was washing my hair! You have to keep the wound dry, so I just had shallow baths for a few weeks. But my daughter washed my hair for me over the side of the bath. That wasn't much fun, but felt much better being clean!

Gradually do the exercises that they give you and just take things steady for 2 weeks. 

Best wishes

Sue xx

ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Jamesy,

Sorry to hear about your husband. 

After the first couple of days, I was up & about & doing things after my WLE & was ok at that point. I was also fortunate that the surgeon used the same incision for the SNB, so I did not have an incision under the arm. Hopefully, you will be ok, but as ever, best to have a contingency plan for anything unexpected. 

ann x

Jamesy46

I live on my own, husband sadly killed in RTC 3 years ago , op is on Friday and one of my daughters is coming to sleep over on the Friday night , I know we're all different but I'm trying to reassure her I will be fine on own from then on , I know I will have stitches under arm and in boob , but physically I'm hoping I can still do things if I take my time using my left arm , do you think I'm being too optimistic ? Mom had same op last year and she seemed fine but my brother lived with her so she didn't really have to do anything xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jencat

Pleasure xxx

Jencat

Glad how well you're doing now Helena and thank you for all the support you've given to the rest of us and for the loan of your lovely big pants! They've certainly come in very handy! Smiley Happy xx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

No I didnt have any drains.  I had a WLE and SNB, they were separate scars.  I had a bit of a problem with my blood pressure on the day which meant I was delayed a bit until they were happy that it was stable, it is something that has happened to me in the past and I made them aware of it, my bp dips after surgery.

I was fine in the evening apart from being tired and cold, but that was the after effects of the anaesthetic, I wore a bra for the first couple of nights as a bit of support (soft, good support and non wired!!), it was a bit uncomfortable but painkillers managed any pain.  I was fine the next day and started my exercises.  This was a year ago last Friday, seems like a very distant memory now 🙂 🙂

Helena x

Jamesy46

Thankyou , that sounds an ideal day , hopefully mine will be around the same , how were you in the evening ? Did you have drains ? My mom had exactly same op as me last year and she didn't have drains so fingers crossed xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

It does all of a sudden make it real x

The injection is very quick, I turned away and did not realise that she had done it. 

I was in at 7.30am on the day for the wire insertion, op at 10.45, back in ward just after 1pm and was discharged at 4,30pm.

Onwards and upwards to get ris of the little blighter xxxxx

Jamesy46

Spelling atrocious on last post ! Sorry x
Jamesy46

Went for pre op today , got a butcteary as nownit all seems real , girls were a bit upset about having to leave me on day if opp and not come back till time to go home , think we watch too much holby city , all went well , next step injection in the nipple next Thursday , can't wait for that one ! Then WLE on Friday with SNB xx lets do this !
Jamesy46

Thankyou everyone , feeling a bit real now , been in a limbo since last week x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Am sure it is not a problem, let us know how you got on xxx

Sy

Thanks Helena, planning on giving my nurse a call tomorrow xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

remember it is still healing, mine was lumpy for quite some weeks.  If you are concerned give your bcn a call and she will be able to reassure you xxxx

Sy

Good luck tomorrow Jamesy x
Sy

Is it normal for the wound to feel hard?
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

Good luck tomorrow, make sure you take a good book with you xxx

Jamesy46

Brilliant news xx I've got my pre op tomorrow and a list of questions to ask x
Sy

Thanks everyone xx
Sy