Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed last week

ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: Diagnosed last week

Sy

That is wonderful news and such a relief.

Rads are doable.  When you have your start date there is a thread on the going through treatment section, radiotherapy, I have been starting a new thread each month, where you will get help and support from the ladies who are currently undergoing rads and those starting in that month.

Helena xx

Sy

Got my results, all the affected area has been taken away. Awaiting appointment for radiotherapy for 3 weeks. Then back in 6 months for checkup then onto yearly mammogram program. Tears cried this week were tears of relief.
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

I did 8-2pm MOnday to Wednesday.  If you ask them and explain that you are working they are usually pretty good at trying to accommodate you around your commitments xx

Jamesy46

I work 9-2 mon to fri so will have to see xx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

I worked throughout my rads, however it was on reduced  hours my boss would only allow me to do 4 hours a day three days a week, on those days I arranged my rads apts to be around 1-2pm so that I could go straight from work to the appointment, that then gave me the rest of the afternoon and evening to rest as and when I needed it.  I think it also depends very much on the type of work you do, mine is office based and is not stressful so it was easier for me.

Helena xx

Jamesy46

Were you able to carry on working whilst having the rads ? I've been told it can make you feel quite tired ?
Jamesy46

Thankyou , it is scary , but reading things on here is helping loads xx
chasanddave

mai sorry that was meant for you!! typo! Great pic. can't wait for mine!!
chasanddave

amazing mail xxxxx
ann-m
Community Champion

Hi Jamesy,

Exactly similar to me in terms of diagnosis, my bc was mammo detected at the same age as you, also grade 2, er+, treated by WLE & rads & now tamoxifen. 

It always feel so scary when first diagnosed, but as with me, thank goodness the mammo picked it up. My treatment was quite straightforward & I was back to life as normal within a few months. It's not likely the tiredness you mention is related, many of us are generally fit & well on diagnosis. 

Do come & chat whenever you need to. 

ann x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

No problem.  There is definitely light at the end of that tunnel, keep your positivity going and it will not be long before you are finishing rads and back to your normal life xx

Well I am sure that your lovely family will absolutely tell you that you are not a burden and that you must think of yourself now to get you through this journey, let them help you whenever and however they want as it is also helping them to come to terms with your diagnosis xx

When you are having rads, although I cant imagine your family allowing you to, there is always the hospital transport to take you to and from the apts if there is no one to take you.

Helena xxx

Jamesy46

Thankyou so much for your positive vibes xxxx I do feel there is light at the end of the tunnel I just feel that I'm being a pain for my family as I don't drive , I have four daughters who are amazing and sisters who are stars ! Doesn't stop you feeling a bit of a Bursen though x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Jamesy

Hello and welcome to the forum, although not really the place any of us would choose to be, but you will get loads of help and support from all the wonderful ladies on here

It is hard at this point, having been diagnosed it brings out all our emotions, but just give yourself time to take in your diagnosis.  Treatment and prognosis is good for breast cancer.  I cant advise on whether your feeling tired is linked, could be co-incidence.

The main thing is it has been found and can be treated, the routine mammogram has done its job and you have a treatment plan.

I was diagnosed 12 months ago, had a wle and snb last October, 5 weeks of rads which finished in January this year and am on tamoxifen for 10 years, life has returned to normal including resuming my hobby of playing lawn green bowls this summer.  When I was diagnosed at the time I could never have imagined 12 months in the future, but here I am 🙂 )

Sending you a hug and come on here whenever you need to there will always be someone to help and support you.

Helena xxx

Jamesy46

Hi I think I'm on right thread , diagnosed yesterday after being called back after monogram and having biopsy , invasive bc grade 2 oestrogen receptive, booked in for WlE and sentinel lymph node biopsy , then surgeon says radiotherapy for perhaps five weeks , feeling scared angry , have been very very tired for the last few months could this little pest have any thing to do with that ? I'm 55 by the way x
Sy

Thanks Debbie, just spoke to nurse about it. She said just to exercise hand as well.
Debbie61

Yes - definitely normal! Debbie xx

Sy

Just about to get ready and do some light exercises. My nurse is ringing me today. Got a tingling feeling in my fingers, is this normal?
Chaffinch17

Well done Mai 🙂
Well done to you too Sy. Rest up now but make sure that you do your exercises too.
Jencat

Great news Mai x The picture of you ringing the bell brought a tear to my eye x

CK

What a lovely idea! I think I'll save some fireworks!!!
ladybowler
Community Champion

Sy

Good to hear that you are through your op, rest up now xxx

ladybowler
Community Champion

Mai

Really well done xxx

Ali49

Take it easy and rest now Sy x
Ali49

Well done Mai! Onwards and upwards xc
Sy

Back home from op earlier today. Back 16th for results.
Sy

That's great news xx
WhyteFawn

Well done Mai!!! Someone rang the bell last week when it was my first treatment. I can't wait till it's my turn now.

Cassie x
Mai7
Community Champion

Ladies, I rang the end of chemo bell today. This too will be you before you know it. Focus on that bell and stay strong. Xx

image.jpeg

CK

Cakes and Prosecco methinks!!!!!
Chaffinch17

That's what I was thinking, I don't want to leave it too late.
Sue C
Community Champion

Hi chaffinch
You can take the anti sickness before you go to bed. You don't have to wait to 3 am! Xx
Chaffinch17

This was my first so feeling very aware of every little feeling at the moment and debating when to take my next anti sickness. They just said tonight and the leaflet in the box says 12 hours after the first dose which would be 3am. I keep getting little waves of nausea but I think a lot of that is anxiety related and physcosomatic. I just feel generally a bit weird at the moment.
Ali49

Cakes st our unit too when the bell rings x
Jencat

I wonder if the cake tradition is everywhere? Smiley Happy

Is this your 2nd chemo Chaffinch and are you ok? Nice to know that there's a nice atmosphere at the unit. I'm meeting my chemo nurse tomorrow xx

Sy

That's a lovely idea 💖
Chaffinch17

Whilst I was there today a lady got to ring the bell for her end of her chemo and the lady next to me was just having number 5. Apparently it is traditional to bring in cake for the staff at your last chemo session.
There was such a bright positive atmosphere in the unit 🙂 and
Jencat

Thank you Mai, it's good to see someone nearly at the end of chemo. At the moment it feels like it's going to go on for such a long time xx

Mai7
Community Champion

Sy and Jencat, I'm on the "going through treatment>chemotherapy>May starters 2017" thread if you want to observe our chemo journey from beginning to end and get a few tips and ask questions then you can join the monthly thread for your treatment. I've popped on older threads before to do the same and we can pass useful tips forward that way! Xx

Sy

X
rosietd

I am much the same - lump spotted in routine mammogram. It was 3.5cm but deep down so could not be felt by hand. Thank the Lord for screening.

xxx

Sy

Hi Anita, I know what you mean about the rollercoaster. X
anitajane

Hi Sy

Welcome to the amazing ladies on this forum.

I was also diagnosed early on 25th July this year through routine screening. I had my surgery on 20th September (after my holiday) which included a biopsy of 2 sentinel nodes to see if there were any cancer cells in my lymph nodes.

Yesterday I received the best possible news that the surgery had been a success and that there are no cancer cells in my lymph system.

I still have radiotherapy treatments to come in November and then Letrozole pills for 5 years with annual screening but I'm not overly concerned about this as there is so much information here and if I do have any questions I know exactly where to find help.

My medical team have been superb and whilst I've had some rollercoaster emotions especially at the beginning waiting for my surgery I feel safe here at any time of day or night. There are some real night owls 🦉 here!

I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow. Try and stay positive. Sending you a hug. Anita x
Sy

Thanks Mai, so many inspiring and positive comments on here. So pleased I found the app. Take care xx
Jencat

Glad to hear you're doing well on your chemo Mai and nearly finished! I'm just about to start! xx

Mai7
Community Champion

Sy, sorry to hear of your dagnosis and welcome to our friendly forum.  Thank goodness you caught it early.  I'm 48 and was diagnosed back in March with grade 2 locally advanced BC including lymph nodes so I'm being put through quite a gruelling treatment regime but coping well.  I have my final chemo on Thursday. Woohoo! Wishing you the very best as you start your journey.  Your medical team will look after you very well so try not to get too anxious, however, I know how hard that can be immediately after diagnosis. There are plenty of excellent information leaflets available on here so I recommend you get those rather than googling too much (although we all do a bit of that!) Its a lot to process but it will get easier as you get into your treatment. Take good care of yourself. Xxx

Sy

Thank you all for your support in my first post. I can see this forum being a big Support xxxx
Sy

Thanks xx
Sy

Thanks Sue xx
Ali49

Good luck on Thursday Sy. You will be in great hands and we are all here when you need us xx
Chaffinch17

Wishing you well with your treatment. Not a nice thing to happen but you will find loads of support here.