cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed last week

22 REPLIES 22
jhanchi

Re: Diagnosed last week

I am lucky  I think again its two small lesions  lobular   long and  side by side  near the nipple so  I am lucky as all  I will lose  is the nipple and lymph nodes , the HER2  so hormone blockers will stop it coming back in my other breast .    I am having Chemo first then op  the radio therapy As they said this is the best course of action for me everyone is different .

jhanchi

Let battle commence is how  I am been for CT and nuclear bone scan   saw the results of that  it shows  my arthritis   but he said it  looks OK  so  fingers crossed  for a swift departing of the cancer from my body  

jhanchi

we will all win girl we are stronger than this cancer
jhanchi

same here so small they had to MRI to locate it mine grade 2 and two along side each other hormone receptive so pills for a few years to keep it away
jhanchi

I had an MRI  as the doctors couldn't feel it  in my  breast it was only the fact that my lymph node swelled that  I went to the doctors.  I had a wire  marker inserted last friday so after the chemo they will know where it WAS    there are so many different types and sizes of tumours/ lesions    Just ask your nurse or  consultant  I usually go in with a list of questions !   but  I just want to know  

jhanchi

Just back from my CT scan and the  NM bone scan  so e mitting gamma  rais at  present back tomorrow to sign the forms  to start the treatment to get rid of the Cancer  they are going to shrink it first with 6 3 week apart treatments , then operate to remove  it and the lymph nodes .then radio therapy  and them the rest of my life to enjoy  

jhanchi

I find talking about it to anyone  who will listen  helps a  great deal  they usually say  I know  someone  who has had it has or   gone through it and is just fine no   do not be scared it is beatable  I  start my battle on the 7th Feb  with my first Chemo  sort of  dreading the side effects but  until  I know  what they will be   I will face them and deal with them if any !   good luck   hugs and best wishes 

Guest user
Not applicable

I was diagnosed with grade 2 oestrogen positive lobular invasive cancer in October . Initially told lumpectomy but after MRI mastectomy undertaken. Had three nodes taken . That was mid Nov. The worst part was waiting for results and having the drain in and taken out....weird sensation! No radiotherapy or chemo needed just tamoxifen so I got off lightly. Only 1 night in hospital ....recovered with good movement in arm except some numbness. Good luck!
hopeful123

Hi Loulou,

I didn't have my MRI until after my lumpectomy was done ( 5 weeks later to be exact).
4littlecherubs

Hi Loulou
Yes I think your right they wait til your results from your lymph nodes if nothing shows up on the ultra sound. Nothing showed on my ultra sound so they waited til my op but thankfully the nodes came back clear so I didnt need an MRI. If it had come back as showing spread I believe I would of then had an MRI.xx
MelMc68

Hi to all the ladies on this thread,

Just thought I may be able to add a comment that some of you may find helpful.

I'm 45 and was diagnosed at the end of October. My initial tests were a mammogram of both breasts, followed by an ultrasound of the left breast where I could feel the lump(s). They took a core biopsy from what they could see on the ultrasound. A week later, I was told it was cancerous, but a 'good' type, relatively speaking.

I explained to my consultant that I felt in my heart that there was more than one lump. In my case, I have very dense breast tissue, and NOTHING showed up on the mammogram. He offered to do another ultrasound. I said that, as US is down to a person, who may inadvertently miss something, I would be happier if I could have a breast MRI. I think in some cases they may not proactively offer this as it's expensive. In other cases,they may just think it's unnecessary.

The MRI showed four defined 'lumps'; three of these were in a cluster and the forth was further away. At this point, they felt the three were all cancerous, but the forth looked benign, as it was very oval shaped with smooth edges.

The next step was to biopsy one of the others in the cluster, and biopsy the one that looked innocent. They wanted to ensure this was cancer free, and reckoned I'd still be able to have a lumpectomy.

It turned out that all four were cancerous. As the forth was so much further away, and deeper in, I had to have a mastectomy.

I am not saying this in an attempt to alarm anyone on here, but I will say, if you know you have dense breast tissue and/or think they may be missing something, ASK FOR AN MRI!!!!

I believe that this made all the difference to my case. It completely changed my treatment plan and probably avoided me having multiple surgeries! Without it, they would have proceeded with the lumpectomy. I can't say whether they'd have gotten a clear margin or not... It may have been they got the cluster, with a clear margin, leaving number four behind and unnoticed!! That doesn't bear thinking about!!

I'm a firm believer in ensuring that my mind is put at rest, and if I feel they need to do something that they haven't, I'll ask for it! We all have the right to know that every possible measure has been taken to give us the best possible outcome.

Again, please don't freak at what I've said; it's meant with the best intentions, in particular as most people have no idea what on earth is right, wrong or indifferent when they get the shocking news they have breast cancer.

Wishing you all well. Love Mel. X
loulou1262

Hi everyone, 

This is something I have been thinking about when reading the forum, I am 37 and have not been given an MRI scan, not even a mention. I am having a lumpectomy on Thursday when they are also checking my lymph nodes for spread, could it be because the ultra sound did not pick up anything in my lymphs that they are waiting for results?? xxxx

Debs-

Hiya Beck,im 40..In answer to your question HER2 occurs on the surface of some cancer cells its a protein and then makes them divide and grow. If you have high levels of her2 it tends to grow more quickly.I have high levels and its fuelled by hormones,estrogen( worse for women who have not had menapause yet as we have high estrogen levels then) !! So my cancer is invasive and higher chance of it coming back apperently but in saying that there are alot of drugs out there that have been a big sucsess for those with her2 along with chemo,rads etc. Scary stuff ay,maybe i will get an m.r.i if they find it in my lymth nodes when i have my op !!All the Best x

4littlecherubs

My daughter was devastated she is the oldest (12) but I explained everything to her the best I could and she was fine, I could see the worry in her face and it broke my heart. I explained to my boys differently as they are younger and again although they were worried about me having an operation they coped well.
Im much better now, had a few down days but feel like im getting back to normal nowor as normal as can be....I have my check up in 2 weeks to make sure im healing ok and I think yo check everythings ok after my raradiotherapy. I still sometimes sit and think I cant believe ive been through all this....you just dont think it happens to you!
I was told all along that I would need chemo because im young (43) but didnt need it in the end as there was no spread in my lymph nodes and I was Her2 negative....I was very relieved 🙂
You will feel bombarded with everything there is loads to take in but you will find a strength that you didnt know you had and you will get through it....take 1 step at a time, and accept offers of help from your friends and family. You will be fine (((hugs))) xx
Bek123

Thanks jhanchi for the advice. I hope you are ok. I hate this so much. Its all i think about and my family too. But i will fight... And i will win! And i will start a list! Thank you xxx
Bek123

Your reply has really helped me. The waiting does feel so awful..i hate it. My girls have coped well too but they have cried. How are you now? Xxxx
Bek123

Thanks so much Lucy x
Bek123

Hello Debs, thanks for your message. The reason i have been given for having an MRI is that i am young (well kinda... 41!!) and because of this my breast tissue is dense so they cant see the cancer very well. Also, i think that lobular cancer is a bit more difficult to see, the MRI is so sensitive that even with dense tissue they can see the cancer clearly. Debs, what is her2? Xxx
Debs-

Hi there i have invasive ductal cancer her2 positive and grade2. I too have 2lumps but other spotting here and there in one breast. Ive been told i will def have to have chemo and prob rads aswell. My mastectomy op is 27th jan. Think they know i def have to have chemo because im her2 positive!!! Its all new to me too,i wont know of any spread untill my op and when the remove lymth nodes!! I see afew on here having m.r.i's,im confused as to why i have not been offerered one !!! All the Best

jhanchi

hello love  I two was diagnosed with invasive  lobular cancer  last week went for the mri this Tuesday and  treatment plan given to me Wednesday .  Every case is different  my mind is spinning with questions  about chemo etc   I am having that first after having a wire inserted   I'm older than you by 20 years plus.   Fight it girl  I'm going to dreading the  side effects of the chemo   I hate being ill . My advice is talk to the  experts  the cancer nurse   I am doing a list when  I have a question come to me  I phoned my doctor this morning about   a few he is brilliant .  Its  a lot to take in  but we are not alone  there is help out there   just ask  I am  

4littlecherubs

Hi Bek,
So sorry you have found yourself here.

I was diagnosed in october with Invasive ductal carcinoma grade 2, I had a mastectomy 2 weeks later with 3 lymph nodes taken. 10 days later I recieved my results that there was no spread so had 3 weeks of radiotherapy and im taking tamoxifen for 5 years.
I have 4 children ages 2, 5, 9 and 12 and it broke my heart having to tell them but they all coped really well.
Im sure some more ladies will be along soon to give you some support and advice possibly with the same 'type' of cancer as yourself.

The worst part of this horrible journey is the waiting.....waiting for results, waiting for your op, waiting for more results, waiting for your treatment plan but it does get easier I promise. Once you start getting your results in and know where you are you will feel much better and more in control.
Hope all goes well ((((hugs))))

Lucy_BCC

Hi Bek123

You are very welcome here and you will find support and shared experiences from your fellow users

Our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support for you too so please call 0808 800 6000, lines are open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

The following link will take you to the BCC 'Younger women's ' section of the site where you will find lots of information and further support ideas including our 2 day 'Younger women together' events where you are able to meet up with others for support and information:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&...

Take care
Lucy BCC

Bek123

Diagnosed last week

Hello everyone, i am 41, with two daughters, 13 and 9, and was diagnosed with lobular invasive bc last week. I had an MRI yesterday and pre op bloods taken. Seeing my consultant next week when i should find out if there is any more cancer there than they think there is (2 lumps currently) and the type of surgery i can expect. I am scared! There seems to be so much to take in. Family and friends are being amazing though! Any advice for a newbie? Sending all of you hugs and courage xx