71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed on Thursday 20th November - what to expect?

174 REPLIES 174
Matty2

Re: Diagnosed on Thursday 20th November - what to expect?

Hi All

Here's to a better and healthier NEW Year to us all - steadily - bit by bit.

Haven't been here as we went on a visit to see little tiny premature Grandson, probably only chance for some time.

Somewhere OH and I picked up  norovirus ohh boy!!! spent yesterday in bed, Midnight in  tears about the next year (I'm sure you all know what I mean)and now feeling better in myself, still can't drink a cup of tea though.

Yesterday I just couldn't get to the hospital for the bone densitromy scan. Just phoned up BCN and she has sorted it all out, so much easier than going from one dept to another.

Have the Lymph Node results tomorrow - definitely not postponing that!

Sarah, you sound more positive, OH says every day is a new day, and a new step to recovery,

Matty - B

Big hugs too Rose and all you lovely ladies....😘...here is too a healthier and happier New Year!XxxRachel
13gerbera

Rose you've made me cry now Smiley Happy So delighted for you and THANK YOU for the hope that it gives me too that not all surgery is a cause for despair!  

Big but extremely gentle hugs to you and all the wonderful ladies on here, what a fantastic thread to draw this otherwise horrible year to a close.

x

Sharon

Rosemaryanne

Feeling a bit sentimental, and just want to give everyone a big hug xxx
lolk

Here, here! Wishing all you wonderful and inspirational ladies a very happy and healthy 2015

Xx
Rosemaryanne

Definitely!

By the way i had the big unveiling ceremony about an hour ago before i got into the bath. Massive bruising and some vivid blue splodges, but roughly the right shape, if somewhat smaller!

Hope you're settled in for the night now, and that you get another good night's sleep xx

JETS

I won the lottery when I found this forum rose xxx lots of love to you all xx see you in 2015 x

😊xxx
Rosemaryanne

Me too xxx

I agree Rose😊.....but we will all become stronger and more positive out of all this...it has made me realise how important each day is and although that may sound cheesy...I really feel that right now xxx
Rachel
Rosemaryanne

Hoping everyone ends 2015 in a much healthier position than we end 2014.

It's been an absolute privilege to share this experience with all of you (though obviously I wish we'd met on a lottery winners' forum or something similar, rather than this one).

Love and best wishes to you all, Rose xxxx

Thanks Sharon and a happy 2015 to you too and all you lovely ladies😊...wishing it to be healthy and happy X

Hi Lorraine...Thankyou 😊...it went okay today with the nurse,I thought I'd need some fluid drained from the wound,but she said that was fine so that was good!Just hoping results come through by next week.
I'm a single mum too Lorraine,so I know how your feeling,but like you I have great friends and my daughters dad is very good too.My sister came up from Essex last week for 2 days,so that was nice😊.
I'll look into that shampoo Thankyou,and I'll expect I'll get my hair cut shorter once I know what Chemo I'm having and when.Be good to check with Karen how she's finding it.
Hope it goes well next Tuesday,but I'll MSG you before then anyway.
Hope you have a nice evening and have a glass of something nice too...we deserve it!X
13gerbera

So glad to hear all is going well Rose, enjoy that bath!  

Happy New Year to everyone here

x

Sharon

lolk

Ahh a bath - bliss!   Enjoy Rose!!!  Glad to hear it went OK this morning.

Rachel - hope your check up today goes well and you manage a big bath with a glass of something bubbly!. I only heard about the cold cap recently but thought it would have been offered at each centre?  My hairdresser told be about Nioxcin shampoo which is recommended to patients being treated at Western Park in Sheffield so I am going to check that out too.  Anything is worth a try!  I have been looking at wigs online today just in case the cold cap doesnt work.  Looks like I will be starting chemo same as you end January.

I have just had a call from the City Hospital wanting me back in next Tuesday so I will have to gear myself up again!!!  They dont want to leave it too long to go back in to remove more tissue as the cavity will start healing.  I am just trying to sort out the children, lifts, etc as I am single mum with no family nearby but I do have the most amazing friends though!

Lorraine xx

That sounds good Rose😊...how lovely to soak in the bath...I've been only taking showers for now,but hopefully after my check today,can take off the tape and have a good soak too tonight (maybe with a glass of Prosecco and some choc too) as it's New Years Eve of course!😊
Lorraine,I asked my BCN about the cold cap,as I have long hair and wanted to see if I could save it,but I don't think they do it in Cheltenham ,which I was quite surprised by,but shall check again today,just in case I heard wrong.
Karen,I hope you are feeling ok?I would love to join your Facebook page possibly,as will prob be starting my treatment towards end of Jan?Xxxx
Rachel x
Rosemaryanne

Apparently all is as it should be. Got to keep taping up around the nip for the next month (to reduce scarring, not to keep it in place!), still haven't looked, but I can now have a proper bath so will check it out tonight. SNB site is very swollen, but not outside expected parameters. SO looking forward to a long soak in the bath instead of sitting in 4 inches of water. All good. How is everyone else? xx

She sounds wonderful Rose😊....I expect she did a very neat job .Goodluck today,hope all goes well .xxx
JETS

Just echoing again everyone's support - the last two months have been very life changing for us allxxxx I am amazed today as I slept for 8 hours last night !!!! First time since beginning of November - think my mind must be moving to some kind of acceptance about the double masectomy. My bCN phoned me at home yesterday just to see how I was - it was lovely of her. She's very much hand holding me through the process now as I only have my children at home and don't want to burden themx I'm very grateful for the book recommends and will have a full kindle also - someone also suggested Alan bennetts book that he wrote as a cancer survivor x I like the dry humour so wi try and get that xx
Good luck today rose xxxx
lolk

This thread is a massive help to us all even though we are at various stages.  I cant believe how life has changed in two months...

Karen - sorry to hear you have been so ill after your first session but guessing this is normal.  Did they give you some anti sickness medication?  I will be interested to hear how you get on with the cold cap as I have read mixed reviews but will definitely give it a try.  My breast nurse said it works for some and suggested I get my hair cut short and leave off the colour for better results?? 

Rose - hope all goes OK tomorrow.  Sounds like you have a wonderful surgeon which makes a big difference.  I had not heard of that procedure before so had a quick google but its all such a massvie learning curve.  Your sense of humour will certainly keep us all going ha!

Feeling drained after today so will hopefully sleep!

Lorraine

xx

Rosemaryanne

True. When I found out there were 2 cancers, I wanted rid of the whole thing, but my surgeon is lovely and I trust her judgement completely. I googled her and she's a bit of a pioneer in this sort of thing. Previous patients describe her as a perfectionist in reconstruction.Plus as I said before, I don't plan any Page 3 work, so what's under my jumper is my business! xx

Thankyou Rose😊That sounds very efficient and I imagine you get a more natural breast shape.Im sure you will be very happy with it when the bandages get taken off and more importantly the 2 separate lumps have gone...
Xxx
Rosemaryanne

Hope your hospital visit goes well too xx
Rosemaryanne

As I understand it, because there were 2 separate lumps which were in "awkward positions" they had to take a lot of tissue away, so did what the surgeon described as a "nip and tuck" to try and create a reasonable shape to the remainder. She was adamant that she did not need to take the whole breast, but she may do further reconstruction further down the line.xx

I've never heard of a Therapeutic mammoplasty before Rose....I hope it goes well😊xxx
Rosemaryanne

Rachel,I go to have my dressing removed tomorrow. They have done a Therapeutic mammoplasty so don't want me to take off the dressings myself. You'll see from my earlier posts just how much I'm looking forward to seeing what's left! xx

Hi Sharon😊x
Thankyou,I'll search for those books too,as I have plenty of 'me' time lately,gives me lots to read!I agree some things you don't want to read,depending on what stage you are with your treatment,just stick to material that you feel happy with X
I guess none of us may never meet...but I Certainly feel like I've made some lovely new friends on here😊xxx

Hi Rose,thankyou😊x
I'll try that book too...It's just nice to read about other ladies experiences and I find it comforting.x
You are like me too,waiting and due to the Christmas/new year period,they prob got a bit delayed.
My wound isn't too bad Thankyou,more sore now though than it was last week,but think the nerve endings must be repairing themselves or something,so guess the feeling must be coming back?Got an app tommorow with the breast nurse to check it all and probably remove the tape.xxx
13gerbera

Hi Karen & Rachel Smiley Happy

Karen you're a marvel to be so chirpy despite what sounds like a horrible day.  I've never heard of the cold cap thingy so that'll be added to my google search list which is growing by the hour.  I hope your nausea eases off soon; can your doctors give you anything to help with that? 

Rachel I've just read that book/blog too and found it funny/helpful.  Followed it immediately afterwards with Dr Susan Love's book but bits of it were all a bit too 'real' to want to dwell on now, although I'm sure I'll be glad of it later. I've put those books away for a while now and turned to Sali Hughes Pretty Honest: The Straight Talking Beauty Companion on the basis that I might have to be unwell for a while but I'm going to do my best not to look it just so I don't frighten myself in the mirror in the morning. Although quite how I'm going to be bothered with how I look when I never have been so far, I don't know but I suppose it's something to aim for.

I sort of want to say how lovely it is to 'meet' you all, except that I wish none of us had ever had this particular reason to 'meet'

x

Sharon

Rosemaryanne

Hi Rachel. Welcome back!

Thanks for the book link, I'll track that one down, and in return I'll recommend "Socks and Stuff" by Lynne Mattick, humourous, but with a ring of truth.

Can't help with the FB page, but I believe you need to be invited to join. Karen will be able to help with that.

I'm also waiting for results, WLE/SNB on 22 Dec,hope the Xmas break doesn't hold them up too much. There is already too much waiting time on this journey.

How are you feeling? I'm nowhere near as sore as I thought I'd be and, like you, very relieved to have got step one over with.

Rose xx

Should say 18th Dec lol!!X

Hello everyone...hope it's okay to join this thread😊...came on here a few weeks ago,but have been on another thread and think I got a bit lost along the way,as wasn't sure how it all worked!x
Reading everyone's different stories,is so inspiring...everyone on here deals with things in different ways and are at different stages,but we are all together in this and the care and support is wonderful😊x
My story so far....had Masectomy/SNB 18th Jan,was do relieved when it was over,but got to wait for results now,the hardest bit.
Tried getting onto Facebook link with Karen,but not sure how to,what do I type into the search box?
If anyone has a kindle and likes to read,have just read a funny/emotional little book called 'The glass half full ' A Breast Cancer Blog by E.M Glasson...it was only about £1 to buy and was funny to read😊
Love to you all Rachel X
Rosemaryanne

Karen, so good to hear from you.

Forgive my little whinge below, it's all too real and happening for you

How are you, lovely? (Apart from the nausea). Are you home now? How long till the next infusion?

Get those boys running round after you! xxxx

13gerbera

Oh I totally understand that Rose, it's just a bit too much reality isn't it and it's hard to see how we are supposed to continue to be 'brave' and 'strong' when we feel so awful Smiley Sad Of all my fears, the 'wreckage' (love that term!) is the one that I'm most frightened about too as I'm completely convinced that the cancer is curable, it's just the cost of getting it cured is so high that it's hard to accept that it's necessary.  

Truly hope that tomorrow isn't as bad as you think it might be and will be watching out for a post from you in case you want a shoulder to cry on

xx

Salsaroja

Rose, Lorraine & Sharon, so glad the thread is a help and Rose I echo everything you said xxx I have no close family & I sometimes don't want to burden my friends but I know that whatever I post here or on Facebook there is empathy, friendship & it's been a blessings.
1 down & 7 to go... I've done nothing except throw up so feeling a little empty 😉 but I'll get over it I'm sure! Cold cap wasn't so bad - recommend PICC line - drink lots of water
Thinking of you all Kx
Rosemaryanne

Thank you, Sharon. 

If what's left is healthy, then it really shouldn't matter what it looks like, I know.

Thing is, and this may sound wierd, I don't believe I have breast cancer. I really don't. Right the way through it's been as if they were talking about someone else, and I've just agreed to all the procedures on that other person's behalf. Ok, there have been emotional wobbles, but it is as if it's happening around me, not to me. When I have to look at the "damage" it will be real, and I'm afraid I'll have a proper melt-down.

Everyone says "Oh you're so strong" or "so brave". I'm not. I've just got my head well and truly buried in the sand. Tomorrow I'm going to have to accept the situation and that's scaring me to a ridiculous extent. xx

13gerbera

Hi Rose, I'm with Sarah, I don't think it's vain at all to have reconstruction done if you decide you want it, I know I will! In fact if I can get a tummy tuck and a face lift while they're at it then that's all to the good! Either that or a lifetime supply of calorie chocolate would work wonders at lifting my spirits Smiley Very Happy

I hope the 'unveiling' tomorrow goes well.  As you say, just one step at a time.

x

Sharon

Rosemaryanne

I love the warmth, reassurance and mutual support on here. Again, I know I am so lucky compared with so many of you, but it doesn't stop me wanting a little moan every now and again! xx
JETS

I can honestly say I don't know where I would have been without my virtual friends xxx we all have so many turns and twists but I will be here holding hands die as long as any of you want me!!!! Rose - my beauty - nothing vanity about it - u have this fab surgeon go for it !!! ( as you know I'm going to be 'without' for quite some time - I reckon if she things she can improve your post op you should enjoy It xxx) also I expect your war wounds won't b as bad as you imagine (our imaginations are wild!) x Lorraine - sorry to hear another turn xx but u are so positive x can only be successful next time round xxx sarah
Rosemaryanne

So sorry to hear that, Lorraine. I'm having to look up all these terms as they crop up, didn't know anything  about HER+ and its possibility cropping up in pathology. So much to learn and worry about.  Good that they feel you will respond well, but it just goes on and on, doesn't it?

I get my dressing removed tomorrow, really don't want to see the wreckage. My consultant had already put forward the option of reconstructive surgery as she said they would be removing a lot of tissue with there being 2 lumps in "awkward places". Initially I dismissed the idea, as she has more urgent demands on her time and expertise than a "vanity" op, but I'm keeping my options open for now. I feel stupid for worrying about this in the face of your results, but it's one step at a time here. My results are yet to come, things may change, as you found out. it's just worry, worry, worry till they come through. However I looked at Karen's pre-chemo photos on facebook, she looks so amazingly confident and positive. Inspirational!

I am now going to stuff my face with chocolate, and just hope the excess weight goes onto the place I need it to!

Love, Rose xx

lolk

Hi Karen

Was thinking of you today.  How did it go?

Looks like I will be joining you on the chemo!

Lorraine xx

lolk

Thanks Sarah.

Maybe going to work the week before your op is a good thing for you and will help take your mind off things. You have the right approach in moving forward and getting rid indeed!

I went for my results today... not what I had hoped for.  They found pre cancerous cells in the surrounding tissue so didnt get the clear margin they had hoped for.  The surgeon said he can either go back in and remove further tissue which he seemed positive about or have a mastectomy/recon.  I decided on a further lumpectomy and if that doesnt work then it will be mastectomy.  The other thing is that I am Her2 positive so will need Herceptin/chemo after the op.  Bizarrely I was almost expecting this news.

On a positive note, they told me I should respond very well to treatment and my nodes were clear.

Just feel bit miffed by it all but not much I can do about it except get on with it and get myself a sexy wig!

Yes, a move forward to 2015 for us all!

Lorraine xx

13gerbera

Well said Rose, I'm a recent joiner but that's exactly how I feel - this forum and this thread in particular has been such a source of information and strength and I wish everyone the very best

x

Sharon

Rosemaryanne

Thank you for starting the thread! What a 5 weeks it's been, friendships made, advice given and taken, humour, sympathy and empathy, laughs and tears. I know this thing we share is evil, but hasn't it brought out the best in everyone? I know I shall never be the same person again. Gone is the placid people-pleaser, I recognise my own value, and shall continue to challenge any s***t which comes my way.

I hope everyone pops back in here with updates, and that we can all celebrate the start of 2015 in a stronger and healthier position. Love, Rose xxx

Salsaroja

Right ladies - again big thank yous to everyone who has posted on my thread :)))
Today the PICC line went in and pre-chemo bloods taken and tomorrow 30th december will be my first chemo cycle - I am active on the facebook group for January so you can catch me there but I do keep checking in here from time to time

Good luck to us all - Karen x

JETS

Hi Lorraine
Well Christmas is over and moving forward to 2015 !!! - sleep has strangely been a bit better for the last three nights (Im up to six hours which is a massive improvement) - I actually think its because Im currently on holiday and so am rethinking about going back the full week before my op (this has now been confirmed as a bi mastectomy 🙂 ) but glad to be moving forward to getting rid of it all (once and for all ) - lots love for your results - had a feeling they were end of the month? sarah
lolk

Hi Sarah

Sorry for the delay in replying.  I really hope you managed to enjoy Christmas despite the news on 23rd.  There is never a good time to be going through this but over Christmas is awful.  Everyone else is in a happy mood and you can only put on a brave face for so long...

I dont know anyone who has had an MRI biopsy but I thought it is used to pick up abnormalities when Mammogram and Ultrasound dont as its too small? You have to keep positive and remember you are in the best hands with a team of professionals looking after your care and more importantly it is being dealt with.

I know it is all very overwhelming but the way forward is bite size chunks.

Are you managing to sleep OK or is it still bad?

Lorraine xx

JETS

Hi matty just thought I'd check if u were feeling ok? Hope the biopsy soreness subsided - do you have a date for ur op yet? Much love sarah
Salsaroja

Sarah I'm having an elective double... I'm thinking of you xx Karen xx
Lucy_BCC

Hi JETS
I am sorry to read that you are feeling so low, along with the support here our helpliners are on hand tomorrow 9-2 on 0808 800 6000 (re opens Monday 29th 9-5) so please feel free to call and talk things through

Take care
Lucy BCC