Diagnosed today

Hello everyone,

I had my results today, 11mm breast cancer, and possible lymph involvement (the biopsy showed small number of cancer cells in the one dodgy looking node he took biopsy from) and am booked in for lumpectomy and full axilliary (? is that it) clearance on 24th of this month.

I just feel so sad for my family… my dear old husband and my 24 year old daughter… and my parents… and my brothers. I just can’t take it in at the moment. Everything is on its head and nothing makes any sense.

The nurse was brilliant… she said ‘in two weeks the cancerous lump will be out, any cancerous nodes will be out so just concentrate on that for the moment’. I wish I could. I just feel obliterated, I can’t ever imagine feeling myself again.

To top it all, the new greenhouse i ordered three weeks ago before this horror show started, is arriving tomorrow. How bizarre and ridiculous is that? It all is just a surreal mess. How do you cope with normal life when all you can think about is this horrible horrible new state that you’ve been plunged into?

Anyway I’ve got cancer and that’s that. Part of me wishes I’d never gone for that mammogram and how stupid is that.

I just wish i could go to sleep for about a week.

Anyway… virtual love and hugs to you all.

Jane (I’m Katherine Jane, but everyone calls me Jane)

Hi Katherine62 and welcome to the BCC forums where you can share experiences and support with your fellow forum users who will know just how you are feeling

We also have a helpline team on hand with further practical and emotional support for you, please feel free to call with any queries, concerns or for a listening ear on 0808 800 6000, lines open 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays

I am posting a link to the ‘I’ve just been diagnosed’ area of the site where you will find lots more support ideas and information which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi Jane
Same for me but lump 4cm, removed along with all nodes. Two boys in their early 20s, elderly parents.
Breast reduction to get rid of the affected tissue two days ago and now home and feeling fine.
It is early days for you but there is loads of help and support here and in the community.
Go out and enjoy that greenhouse! Hobbies keep us sane.
Mx

Hi Jane I’m in the same boat. Diagnosed with DCIS had lumpectomy two weeks ago. Have a consultant appt Fri to see if it has spread. Will need at least radiotherapy. Like you, I feel sorry for my family my mum, siblings, husband and two daughters 18 & 21. I feel (at the moment) strong and positive. We probably have a long road to travel but we aren’t alone 1 in 8 and on the increase. Keep going, keep strong. Elaine xx

Hi Katherine- you are right - the initial shock is terrible. I found planting spring bulbs very therapeutic - forcing me to focus on normal life post my op next week. Stay strong.

Hi Maggie - many thanks for all this helpful info.

I am so sorry that you didn’t get the results you wanted but do you know what I think the greenhouse coming today is a positive thing once your surgery is over you can start planning what you can plant up and watch the new plants grow as your strength will do ,we as women have real hidden strength and we are amazingly strong people .
I am waiting for results of a core biopsy and by looking at this forum it’s making me realise there are many wonderful ladies going through the same things and we can support each other along the way
I wish you lots of good luck for your journey xx

Hi Maggie - agree with Katherine / Jane re chemo zapping miscreant cells going awol. I was concerned about that too - asked my consultant - she said that it’s unusual for bc to spread beyond primary tumour / nodes - as these days it is usually caught before it spreads far. Enjoy the music and seize the day!

Wow! V v impressive. Moo goo cream recommended on bc blog here. Smells nice; have not yet tested it out. Arnica is a staple in my medicine cupboard. Good luck for tomorrow

Re moo goo - got direct from uk supplier - googled address etc. a great night out always worth it!

Hi Jane and Maggie et al - op is on 19th- 72 hours approx- can’t wait to get on with it now. Bought the pjs and sherbet lemons; stacked up the books; created playlists for iphone (soothing one/ inspiring one/ and the the b well get out of bed and get on with life one); practised the meditation tapes … Bring it on!

Ha ha v good- what were the cocktails ?! Singapore sling?
Slippery nipple?
…!

Today you have your lovely weekend to recall. Only a week ago your surgery was all to come. You have had a brilliant week - so much achieved! Whatever today brings - tomorrow will feel less scary! Hugs to you.

Hi Maggie - been thinking about you all day yesterday and today. Rotten news but having a good treatment plan with a trusted team is a big plus- such a b… the way bc comes totally out of the blue and throws life upside down - old cliches about a roller coaster are so true. It’s do-able as others have said - the forum is inspiring. You’ll beat it.

Hi girls had my diagnosis today DIC2 think that’s right .? have my op tomorrow radioisotopes first wire location then lumpectomy lump is small less than 1cm so having lympnodes out also to see if there is spread ,so worried my husband is shattered by it all but so supportive haven’t told my daughter yet she is pregnant with first grandchild I think I’m going to wait until I have all results and seen oncologist before I tell her ,has anyone else don’t that ?

Many thx for your message Maggie