Yes I am HR+ and HER2+ and going to have both Herceptin and Tamoxifen after chemo. I had mastectomy on 1st April, each hospital seem to do things in different order. Like you my nodes were unaffected thankfully. Surgeon said only reason I needed chemo was to get the Herceptin funded 😞 if I was negative I wouldn't be having chemo at all!! Am having FEC but only 60/70% strength although told side effects would be the same 😞
Hi Jo Seen Oncologist this afternoon and do have to have 6 x sessions of chemo to get Herceptin 😞 Being put on FEC (but only 60/70% rather than the 100%). Told to expect hair loss and other side effects despite lower dose. Got to have heart scan and then good to go. Chemo nurse will ring in a day or so to sort out and hopefully chemo starting within 2 weeks. Now I know its happening for sure I just want to get on with it. Was told no need for radiotheraphy though so one less thing to undergo. Onto Heceptin (for a year) and Tamoxifen (10 years) as soon as chemo is finished. Would naturally have preferred them to say chemo wasn't needed but if it gives me better protection for it recurring it's a small price to pay. Love Jules xx
Hi Jo. Just thought I'd let you know outcome of outstanding lymph node result which I got this afternoon. It's totally clear and no further surgery needed 🙂 So nice to get some good news. Still down to have chemo (and possibly radio) but hospital confirmed that I don't actually need chemo but to get the Herceptin, which I do need, I have to have chemo too in order for it to be funded!! See Oncologist on Thursday and have lots of questions to ask including if this is the case can I have a milder dose and/or fewer sessions. Hope you are doing Ok. Love Jules xx
Your positive attitude is really inspiring. I've been pretty good up to now but had total meltdown last night. Think it's just starting to sink in just how much this is going to mess my nicely organised life for a while!
Especially my business which I've spent 3 years building and has just reached the point where it's starting to do really well. I'm planning to take a week off for the Mx but then start working a couple of hours a day - I work from home so no commute and I can be really flexible with lots of rests. Consultant & BCN were advising 4 weeks completely off, but that's very impractical - and likely to drive me nuts from boredom.
Best of luck for your next step & fingers crossed for no more surgery.
Well, I have decided to delay reconstruction.
Surgeon gave me a best guess of 30-40% chance of needing further treatment after the Mx and for me that's too high for me to go ahead with reconstruction only for it to be messed up (I'd definitely need an implant).
If I do need further treatment it's going to be hard enough to take without worrying about the effect on a new boob!
Fingers crossed for you Jules.
I have my meeting with the surgeon tomorrow to organise surgery. Will need to make decision on reconstruction but will almost certainly delay. None of the options sound very appealing!
Well have had a call from hospital to say results are back so appointment is as planned tomorrow. 🙂 They couldnt give them to me today but not feeling too hopeful about lymph nodes as they did tell me what was involved in removing them! 😞 Really hoping I've got it wrong but expecting the worst and hope no other nasty shocks ahead! At least the 3 weeks of waiting post surgery will soon be over and I can move forward.
Thanks for the replies.
Had a chat with my BCN which helped. I'm fairly sure I won't want reconstruction but don't want any decision I make at the moment to be final. She thought radiotherapy was quite likely given amount and grade of DCIS so that makes immediate reconstruction less of an option. Will discuss with surgeon on Thursday.
Hope your results are good Jules.
Welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-
You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.
Its so good to come on here and see I'm not alone.
Diagnosed with DCIS last week. Had 3 areas of calcifications biopsied. The one on the right is clear but 2 areas on the left so it's Mastectomy and Sentinel Node Biopsy. I'm 36F and too big for reconstruction without an implant - and I can't bear the thought of that. I think I'll wait and see - has anyone else delayed reconstruction and then gone ahead later?
I'm self employed too so now have to work out a) what to tell my clients and b) guess how much I'll be able to do while recovering. Fingers crossed I won't need radiotherapy or chemo.
Hi ladies. Hope ops went well. I'm now 13 days post MX and SNR and doing pretty much all normal activities, I was determined to carry on as normal from day of discharge. The worst bit for me is the nerve damage in upper arm and chest, its an odd sensation both painful and very sore. I'm now keen for results (due on 23rd) to know what comes next and praying lymph nodes are unaffected. It sure is quite a journey isn't it? Keep positive all and hugs to everyone xx
Rubykins - hope it all went well for you last month. I am going in at 7.30 tomorrow morning so feeling a little apprehensive. But as others have said, it also feels quite surreal - not sure that it is really happening to me. I've checked my bag and it contains everything that anyone has ever recommended on these forums so weighs a ton! Guess someone will have to carry it home for me! I've been using a DVD from Maggie's centre for relaxation and meditation and also yoga nidra to help me relax every day. Both now downloaded onto the iPad so I can carry on with them. And am focussed on the fact that this time next week I should be back home and getting ready to watch Poldark in the comfort of my own living room! Sending good wishes to anyone else in the same boat. xxx
Hi going in for my operation tomorrow for my mastectomy and am feeling really anxious. I have waited for a month now from my pre assessment. It still feels very serreal. Hoping to sleep tonight have to take my diazapam. Not knowing what to expect when I get to the ward. Got to be there for 7.30 tomorrow morning.
Have had my date of my op and it is the18th of March which is longer than they said it would be. This is because my surgeon is off on leave this week and next week. I was really upset as I thought it would have 2-3 weeks after the pre-op assessment. I am just trying to get on with nornal everyday things like working and trying to put it at the back of my mind which is really hard sometimes and I know the the week of my op my anxiety will be through the roof. I am still having stabbing pains in my breast where they did the biopsy procedure is this natural and my boob is quite bad sometimes and itchy. Should I speak to my breast care nurse.
Thank you Janet. I have bought a pyjama with no cuffs on the trousers but it has long sleeves and is a bigger size to what I would normally wear. Thank you for all your tips will take them onboard. Hope you are healing well and will soon be able to do what you used to. Thank you for wishing me good luck for my op.
Thank you so much both of you. It really helps to know someone who has gone through what I am feeling. Glad your both on the road to recovery and are feeling better day by day.
I have had my pre-op date and it is on Friday the 13th in the afternoon so I have heard it is normally two weeks after that for the operation. I do feel very greatfull that it has been found early and that I will be having an immediate breast implant at the same time of the operation. And I am trying to be positive and not worry too much.
Recalled for a mammogram and had to have another on my left breast and a scan then they took 12 samples from 2 biopsies as they had seen some calcifications in my breast tissue. When I went to see the Specialist last week I was so shocked. He came in and asked a few questions then he came out with "Its bad news I'm afraid". My husband held my hand and I just felt so numb. The specialist went on to say although it is non invasive that the calcifications in my left breast extended 6.5 cms from the bottom front of my breast to the back of it and then told me that because of the size I would need a mastectom as it would take most of the bottom of my breast away and offered me a skin saving mastectomy because of the size of my breast and an implant. When he said this I felt like asking him if he was joking. Felt and feel so numb and I am devastated. Couldn't go to work all last week as trying to come to terms with the news. Going back to work this week has helped but I feel it is happening to someone else and can't believe I am going to loose my breast. Saw breast cancer nurse a week ago, a few days after the consultant, and she explained that it was in the milk duct and was not invasive.
I realise that I need to have this as there could be a chance of it becoming invasive in the future but still feels so drastic. I still feel like it is happening to someone else and am very anxious about the surgery and how I will feel after it.