Diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer!

Hello

I don’t normally write on forums. But I am going out of my mind with worry at the moment.  My GP sent me for a mammogram and scans which I had last week and I ended up having biopsies from my right breast and also lymph glands in armpit too.  The radiologist told me then that it was in her opionion cancer.  I been today to get the results and I was hoping against hope that it would be clear or a mistake but I have stage/grade? 2 invasive duct cancer on my right side which has spread to my lymph glands.  I am gutted.  Even though I knew it was probable I am finding it hard to take in.  It is like it is happening to someone else.  A bad film.

Apparently I have to have MRI, bone scans and some other scan which I can’t remember what (wait time of 3 weeks approx) and then fingers and toes crossed it hasn’t spread. They will give then give me courses of chemo and then it will be a mastactomy on right side with more chemo and then radiotheraphy. 

I am just dumbstruck.  I am 47, no history in family, never smoked, rarely drink.  I really thought I would never have to worry.  I keep fit and run every day (only 3 miles) but it always helps with lifting my mood and I wonder if anyone else has carried on running through treatment and how was for you?

I am due to go on my hols with my family in 2 days and so am not going to tell them until after the holiday as don’t wan’t to spoil it all for them as my son and his girlfriend have looked forward to it for so long. (My husband knows and has been great).  

I just want to survive and see grandchildren and be old.  The things I did worry about I realise no longer matter.

Sorry to whine on but I suppose I am scared.

Thanks in advance to anyone who writes.

Dear MM,

Hello, and welcome to the club that nobody wants to join. I imagine most of the women who come on here haven’t written to forums before either, but sometimes we need to let out a cry to people who will really understand. You’ll be feeling really battered at the moment, and the diagnosis will be racing around in your head, many of us find the wee small hours the worst, as we can try to keep busy in the daytime. Like many others, I have very tidy drawers and cupboards, and the charity shops were nearly filled to overflowing with all the bags of ‘stuff’ I took down there. It all helps to keep those awful thoughts at bay!

You’ll probably find that some people on here will have had a similar diagnosis to you, and we’ve all had that awful time of having tests, waiting for results - which seems endless sometimes, and then been told the crushing news we couldn’t quite believe could be true, but suddenly was. The bad film you mention sums it up well.

I haven’t had exactly the same as you, but had cancer in my right breast and 3 lumpectomies 5 years ago, and a totally different cancer in my left breast this year and had a mastectomy following lobular cancer on 12th June.

I was given the diagnosis on the Tuesday following our weekend away for my husband’s 70th birthday, and 3 days before a family long weekend celebration on a hired boat on a canal; I really didn’t feel like having a cosy family time as I was so upset but didn’t want to spoil it for everyone. But by the time the Friday morningwhen we were to set off came I was calmer, and all seemed to go well; I happened to be alone with my 2 sons at one stage, as we drifted lazily along the canal, and took the opportunity to tell them my news calmly and saying I didn’t want any fuss made about it, I just needed to get on with it. They both gave me a hug and it wasn’t mentioned again all weekend, but I felt content I’d told them.

That might not have been right for everybody, but it was for us; maybe you’ll be able to tell your family on holiday or maybe you’ll leave it till the end - whatever seems right at the time for you will be the right thing.

I’m a bit like you, healthy diet, don’t smoke, keep reasonably fit (don’t do the running like you though!), but it can happen to anyone - a lottery with a horrible prize! You’re absolutely right, nothing matters except good health. But remember that we’re really lucky to be living when we do, with all the treatments on offer, and in a part of the world where we can have these treatments. Results are far better than they were even a few years ago, and the chances of being healthy after its all over are so good.

Try to stay off the internet apart from this forum and BCC website; so much on the internet is out of date and can be very frightening. It’s also a good idea to stay on this section of the forums for now as it’s best to take small steps and not imagine treatments and effects on you until the time comes. Come on the forum for information, useful tips and to shout or moan as much as you need to - everybody can understand what you’re going through - there’s marvellous support here. If you need to talk to someone, the helpline people are fantastic; when I needed to talk to somebody other than my lovely husband, who has been marvellous, I phoned up, and the knowledgeable, friendly lady listened and spoke calmly and as though we had all the time in the world, and it helped me a great deal. Have a look at the leaflets available on the BCC website and send for those you would like - they are all free of charge, and very clearly written.

Take care, gentle hugs, Jo x

Hi MysteryMouse and welcome to the BCC forums

In addition to the support here, as Jo1 has kindly said, our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000 and you can call during the week 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2

The following link will take you to the BCC ‘Just diagnosed’ information and further support ideas which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi there,I was like you with forums.but it has been an eye opener.but a source of comfort.I had my surgery last week.wlc and snb,awaiting my result.I was diagnosed on the 4th June,had already booked a holiday before for 2weeks.I decided to go ahead with the holiday,went with my hubby and daughter who wasn’t aware of my bc.she was so excited for the holiday,so we decided to tell her toward the end of the holiday.it wasn’t easy but it had to be done.and now 2weeks on she is so supportive of me.and your family will.be has well.I was gutted like you,no family history reasonably fit.but I think it’s just one of those things,but h.as long as we beat this horrible disease.you go and enjoy your holiday with your family you deserve it.by the way I had a fab time,a real tonic.let me know how you get on hugs xx

I’m sorry sorry to hear your diagnosis, good luck with everything and try to keep positive. Today i was told i have breast cancer, my lump is approx 3cm. I have to wait 7 days before i know any more. I’m devastated too. I have 2 grown up boys who are single, i just have no idea how to tell them. Or anyone come to that. My partner knows but only him at the moment. Fingers and toes crossed for you.xxx

Hello Dianne60,

You’ve had this awful shock of diagnosis out of the blue! Have you see my post lower down on this post? - I’ve just seen it and amazed I’d written so much, but I immediately felt so close to MysteryMouse and wanted to reach out to her; I’m hoping she’s had some rest during the night, and I hope you did too. Anyway, I would have written something on the same lines to you, as it applies to you too.

You also have 2 grown up sons, like me, and yes, telling them won’t be easy as you’re still in shock. I know I found myself alone with my two, on a boat with 7 of us on board, but I took a big breath and stayed calm. You don’t need to tell anyone else other than your partner until you are ready to. Many of us on here will be thinking of you as you start along this awful journey, you’re not alone.

Take great care of yourself, and i’m sure your partner will be helping you to do just that.

gentle hugs, Jo x

Hi, I too am new to this, having gone to the breast clinic on 30/7.  I had a mammogram and ultrasound and was told it looked “suspicious” and had immediate biopsy of lump and lymph node.  Found out 4/8 that it was definitely cancer but nothing in lymph nodes.

I have just turned 46 and too feel too young and healthy to have this (I also run regularly and go to the gym).   I delayed seeing cons until after my week’s holiday so didn’t see him until 4/9.  I have grade 2 mucinous cancer - a “special” type I am told!  It is also ER+ and HER2+ which means I will likely have chemo and Herceptin after lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy.  The surgery is arranged for 10/9 but I need an ultrasound and probably insertion of a wire to help the doc find the lump the afternoon before.  Also they need to treat me as if I have MRSA as not enough time to get swab results before op (cream up the nose and some horrible bodywash to use - lovely!).  

I also keep feeling as if I am in a dream, that it must be someone else they are talking about but the more people I tell the more real it becomes.  I have had a lot of time to come to terms with it (as best I can) and now I am just anxious to get something done and get on the treatment path, whatever that entails.  The story seems to unravel bit by bit as you go along.  They can’t tell me anymore until after the surgery, whether further surgery or mastectomy is required (I hadn’t even entertained that idea!) and exactly what treatment will be needed.  I am lucky to have caught it early and the lump is relatively small.  I have a very supportive family and friends and am trying to stay positive.  I have 2 more days at work next week and then … it begins!

Hope all is going well with you, at least here you know you are not alone.

Hi Mysterymouse,

Firstly, sorry fro the late response to your question, but I have just noticed your post. I was diagnosed with grade 2 invasive lobular cancer in November 2013 at age 50. Initially it was decided that I would only have radiotherapy, but after having a lumpectomy and WLE, this changed and I was offered chemotherapy. I have always participated in some sort of sport and regularly went to jazzercise, although I must admit running was never my forte. While undergoing chemo, I continued my jazzercise and also decided to enter the moonwalk Scotland which entailed a 26.2 mile walk starting at midnight. I had to do a fair bit of training during chemo and can honestly say it’s the best thing I could have done. It gave me something to focus on, and really lifted me during what was quite a dark time. I completed my 26 mile trek between cycles 4 & 5 of chemo and my oncology team were amazed that I managed it but agreed that it had definitely had a positive impact on my response to treatment. I had few side effects other than slight nausea, tiredness and “chemo brain”. If you feel like running while undergoing treatment, I would highly recommend you go for it. But please remember to be kind to yourself. There will be days when you won’t feel like exercising, and it’s important that you listen to your body and rest when your body tells you to. I hope that if you do decide to continue you exercise regime during treatment that you have the same beneficial response as I did.

I just finished my treatment last week having undergone 2 surgeries, chemotherapy and radiotherapy (although still have to take tamoxifen for a minimum of 5 years) and can honestly say that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I can remember very vividly feeling lost and distraught at the start of my journey and can fully sympathise with the situation you find yourself in. Please remember that this is all doable and that you will start to feel more empowered when you have a definite treatment plan.

I wish you all the luck in the world x Ann x

I know every persons diagnosis is different and personal to them but so many more people beat cancer these days. I have also been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive cancer in my left breast and I am 48. I am waiting to hear if it’s spread to the nodes but I consider myself as lucky to have discovered it so quickly and I feel I will beat this no matter what. My auntie had breast cancer 15 yrs ago and she survived it and is still going strong. I have been making my own fruit juices and have continued to exercise and work up to the surgery. I am now waiting for my results of the lumpectomy. Be honest about how you are feeling with at least one other person and chat to your breast care nurse too. Stay strong and I hope your journey is a positive one…

Hi, I have just been diagnosed with stage 2 breast cancer and within 2 weeks I had a left mastectomy, I find out if I need further treatment on the 14th October, I just do not know how to feel because it is still not real to me, it’s as if I have had the op for someone else… I do not know what to expect on the day x

Hi DJ

Welcome to the BCC forums where you will find the support you are looking for, in addition please feel free to call our helpliners for further practical and emotional support

Lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000

Here’s a link to further support and treatments information from BCC which I hope you will find helpful:

breastcancercare.org.uk/treatment

Take care
Lucy BCC

Ditto mystery mouse had the same kinda night and just have no appetite but know I must eat to keep strong x sounds just how I am feeling x