Diagnosed with a new primary cancer after 17 years

Just got results today I have a new cancer in the same breast as 17 years ago. Can’t have radiotherapy again so have to have mastectomy. I can’t imagine what this will be like and because my other breast is quite large the surgeon suggested reconstruction on this breast at a later date. Can anyone give reassurance on this and how painful is a mastectomy?

Hi Mags

Firstly welcome to the forums, I’m sorry to read of your recent diagnosis.  Whilst you wait for the other users to reply with their experiences you might find it helpful to talk things through with a member of staff on the BCC helpline.  Here you can share your thoughts and concerns with someone who will offer you a listening ear as well as emotional support and practical information.  The number to call is 0808 800 6000. and lines are open weekdays 9 to 5pm and Saturday 10 to 2pm.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator 

I had left sided mastectomy in January.  It was not painful and I only took paracetamol for a couple of days afterwards just in case.  They inject local anaesthetic while you are under the general so when you wake up you aren’t in pain.  I didn’t have a drain.   Nowadays they can do it as day case.  I stayed overnight because I was done late in the day.  I was fine afterwards.   I didn’t have reconstruction but I can always change my mind.  Good luck with everything.