Diagnosed with benign Phyllodes Tumour

Hi,
Im new to this and not quite sure what im doing!
Im a 29 year old mum to two wonderful boys and im driving myself crazy!!
I was diagnosed with benign fibroadenoma two years ago after a scan, FNA and core biopsy. My consultant decided against surgery at the time and i was discharged from the breast clinic.
Around six months ago I noticed it had got bigger and went back to my GP who immediately referred me back to the breast clinic where I had another scan. The lump had grown and against my consultants advice I insisted on surgery which I had two weeks ago.
After the op I was quite sore but relieved it was all over and over the moon that the scar was so neat and healing so well!
I went back to the breast clinic 5 days ago to make sure everything was healing properly and my consultant told me that there was a ‘bit of a surprise’ as the histology results showed that it was a benign phyllodes tumour. I was told not to worry and they would check me every six months for two years to make sure that there is no local recurrence.
I am so, so upset and scared for the future as there is a real chance of regrowth with no guarantees that it wont be malignant next time. Then i feel guilty that I should be happy that it was benign when there are so many brave women with ‘real’ problems- why cant I stop crying and feeling so depressed?
I suppose more than anything im worried because it was not a wide local excision, apparently it just ‘popped out like a pea’ and I also have another small ‘fibroadenoma’.
Im sorry for the essay but if anyone else has found themselves in a similar situation i would be so grateful to hear from you!
Thanks for listening,
x

If you look at the bcpals website they have a whole section on Phyllodes which can be accessed without joining I think.They also have a discussion forum devoted to Phyllodes if you do join.

Hi, I was diagnosed with benign phyllodes tumor this week but unlike you, I was just told not to worry about it and then discharged. I have spent the last 2 days on the internet doing some research and I am quite worried about what I am reading. I read that 6 monthly outpatients appt and yearly mamograms are the usual way to follow up after this type of diagnosis, but I was told ‘not to worry about it’ but how can you not worry when so little is known about it. I am going to see my GP next week, I dont know if I will get any further information from her but I will wait and see.
Kind regards
Tina.

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the Breast Cancer Care discussion forums where I’m sure you’ll get lots of support.

I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication regarding Phyllodes tumors which you may find helpful to read. Could I also suggest that you give the helpline here a ring and have a chat with the nurses who will be able to explain things clearly for you. The the helpline is open until 2pm today and then lines open Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/60/

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Jo, Facilitator