71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer at age of 40 - devastated and terrified

18 REPLIES 18
sandie73

Re: Diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer at age of 40 - devastated and terrified

Thank you angel77, glad you are beating it and all best for the future xx
sandie73

Re: Diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer at age of 40 - devastated and terrified

Thank you Sam, have ordered the primary care pack and staying away from other websites that scare me ! Xx
sandie73

Thanks blue23, all the best to you. No surgery date yet, having the MRI scan on Monday. Could be a few weeks off xx
sandie73

Thank you, all the best to you xx
sandie73

Thanks Gemini22 all the best to you xx
sandie73

Thanks fowey, all the best to you too xx
sandie73

Thanks Donna and all the best to you xx
sandie73

Thank you poems galore and all the best to you xx
sandie73

Thanks Ruth and good luck to you xx
sandie73

Thank you everyone for your kind words and encouragement 🙂 yesterday was a bad day and woke up this morning to find out my results appointment has been put back a week! Not happy at all and will be on the phone Monday to complain. Went to watch dancing on Ice at first direct Arena which lifted my spirits and making an effort to stay away from other cancer websites. Going to try and keep busy and not let it beat me. Hopefully going to go on a bike ride tomorrow so at least will be getting some exercise and fresh air. Everyone I speak to knows someone who had and have beaten breast cancer. A close friend of mine had breast cancer and she was at a far worser stage than me and she got through the treatment and is here to tell the tale. She is 6 years clear 🙂 just want to get on with treatment and get this horrible thing out of my body.
poemsgalore

Hi sandie73,

I was DX with ductal invasive cancer on November 1st 2012. 36mm (3cm), grade 3, 100% ER+, 70%PR+, HER2 negative. I had mastectomy and SNLB on December 12th 2012, 3 lymph nodes removed, one with cancer in it. So stage 2B.

I had chemo starting Feb 5th 2013 until May 23rd - FEC-T. I had my first annual mammogram in December 2013 and complete breast check January 2014 - NED (no evidence of disease) I'm currently taking a hormone tablet for at least 5 years. When you have your treatment plan, you will feel more in control and feel able to get on with whatever treatment they suggest for you. Most of us aren't brave, we were and still are just as scared as you are now, but we have adjusted to our different status and have acquired more knowledge about our cancer and subsequent treatment.

Sending hugs and best wishes

poemsgalore xx

Donnaandfamily

Hi Sandie

sorry to hear of your diagnosis.......... I had my diagnosis in January.........

The one thing to keep in your head.....this is your journey and no one elses..... you will not have the same journey.......just focus on you and how you will get through this stage and comlpetion of your treatment plan

I am a nurse and I googled everything......worse thing I could have done because plunged me to the lowest depths. However, I then  focused on my journey. Everyone has different side effects etc....I read the factual sites re side effects in prperation to alleviate the fear and anxiety of the unknown...

I am  due to have my 3rd FEC-T chemo next Thursday..... If your plan includes chemo.......don't fear it...it is not painful and takes about one hour to have the medications in a calm relaxed environment

The hospital team will take excellent care of you and manage any side effects........ make them aware of everything...Ie.. heartburn, constipation, sore mouth  etc......  first sign get on the phone and problem sorted...

The worse part for me was losing my hair.....but I have 2 lovely wigs which are highlghted like my hair was so I dont look any different....and I wear a lovely turban at home and for bed....

I wish you well.......and as eveyone on here says we all support each other and the newbies as they arrive

Good luck xxx

gemini22

Hi Sandie73

I have just joined this forum too - its not something i have done before but already i feel the love and understanding from other members is helping me cope. I was diagnosed on April 9th with invasive ductal hormone positive - surgery is booked for May 7th. The best advice i have received is to take things one stage at a time and try to keep busy.

Sending you love

L x 

Jbf57

Hi Sandie73
So very sorry to hear your news - I received my bombshell on 9 April and went into almost denial thinking it was quite a minor blip! Mad I know but I have since grasped what's happening. You talk about swinging from feeling positive and then into total despair. If there is one piece of advice I can give you it's this - being positive has a very big effect on how you will get through this awful stage of your life, so every time you feel at rock bottom think about something that makes you happy, doesn't matter what it is. Concentrate on that feeling and believe that you will overcome whatever BC has in store for you. Treatment has improved so much in recent years - just take each day as it comes and take comfort from other women who have been through this who post on this site. My surgery is 1st May - I've got so many things going on I have to remind myself not to make plans for Thursday! Take care of yourself, spoil yourself if you can with a few treats, and remember everyone using this site is supporting you. By the way, the bit about being positive came from my daughter's friend, she's a doctor in Newcastle and worked on the Oncology unit last year. Gosh, this is a long post, sorry!! xxxx
Blue23

Hi Sandie73,

Sorry to hear how you are feeling but i think it is completely normal. I too was terrifed at your stage and have now stopped doing lots of 'googling' because that did make me worse. Stay on this site and just read the sections you are up to ie' recently diagnosed' and 'surgery'. I got upset reading the secondary cancer section. We have to be positive and remember this  cancer has one of the best outcomes but obviously not very pleasant treatments to get the outcome we want. I have just had WLE and SNB thos week and feeling a bit sorry for myself due to discomfort but it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. i am now almost at the unreal stage as can't believe it is actually happening to me, I don't know what the next treatment is going to be until i get full results so the waiting now isn't pleasant. Have been told definitely will need radiotherapy and tamoxifen but could also need further surgery and possibly chemo. It's the uncertainty which is scary at the moment; from my reading on this site once the treatment plan is in place  people tend to feel better as there is then some certainty. Do you have a date for your surgery yet.? Hope you managed to get some sleep last night xx

Sam_BCC

Hi Sandie73

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support. 

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They're on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

angel77

hi sandie73.. i got told beginning of march i have invasive ductal cancer . i was in total shock as 3 other female members of my family had it too ,it wasnt what i wanted to be told i had. first thing i can say is only read this web site about anything you are worrying over as a lot of other web sites are not always correct and full of horror stories which isnt nice to read .always take one day at a time and try your hardest to stay strong because u staying strong will change the way you deal with this horrid journey . i had surgery on 22nd of april this year for the lump to being removed which was only 7mm but i was so scared out of my witts because i had never had an operation before but i did it and im so proud of my self that i did  once you get your head around the news you was given you will become a stronger person and u will have the same attitude i have and that is THERES NO WAY THIS IS GOING TO BEAT ME  !!! . if i can do this then i know that anyone else can .stay calm and be positive and you will do this and you will look back and say YES I DID IT  . if you want any questions answered you are in the right place because without this forum i wouldnt of been able to cope.xxx stay strong and stand up to BC dont let it beat you xx

fowey

Hi Sandie73,

You will find lots of support and tips from the lovely ladies on here. I was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer HER2 negative, on March 19th, which also happened to be my birthday. It has all been a bit of a whirlwind since. Mine was stage 2a as I had lymph nodes affected. Six weeks on, I have had the surgery,ct and bone scan and about to begin chemo this coming Tuesday.

The first tip I would give you is stop reading all sorts of websites, my breasts cancer nurse directed me towards this one, so it is the only one I look at now. The second tip I would give is take one day at a time and keep yourself busy,allowing no time to brood. I know its scary. Everyone reacts differently, I felt for you when I saw the time that you posted your message, I also have had alot of restless nights.

I wish you luck and will keep fingers crossed that you get an encouraging result. xx Ruth xx

sandie73

Diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer at age of 40 - devastated and terrified

Hi i have just joined this forum as was diagnosed with breast cancer on 14/4/2014. Words can't describe the living hell my life has been since. I swing from being positive to depths of despair. I can feel ok one minute and the next I am back down. Going for my MRI scan on monday to check the size of the cancer.

I have invasive grade 3 cancer which is HER2 negative and oestrogen positive. When my GP felt it on 17th March it was about 1cm big. Had a U/S on my armpit which show that my lymph nodes were clear so think the cancer could be a stage 1. Not knowing what's going to happen next is terrifying and I am finding it hard to cope. I want to be strong and positive but I am scared out of my wits. I look obsessively at cancer websites to seek some reassurance but all i read is horror stories about the surgery, treatments and reoccurance. I freak out and get upset thinking the worse. I panic at every little twinge of pain or ache I feel now especially in the breast and the armpit area. Its a total nightmare. Reading your posts you sound very brave wish I could be as brave 😞