Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer

15 REPLIES 15
kazh

Re: Diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer

Hi All

I too have been diagnosed with grade 2 invasive ductal cancer this morning ... I had two options ... straight to masectomy (which would have been next Tuesday !!) or chemo first ... they have explained that it is a good idea to see what chemo works for my cancer ( which is also showing traits of inflammatory but not 100%) before masectomy .. i have more or less decided to go with second option hope its the right choice

frioa

hi forties,

I've just made my decision too on an invasive ductal grade 2.

I've opted for the chemo first, because for me that is the scariest part.  i didn't want to go through operation and still have the thought of the chemo to come.  i'm hoping the chemo will shrink the tumour but have been told this isn't the case so may have to have a full mastectomy in the end.  got radiotherapy and hormone therapy but will cross that bridge as and when.

good luck with your treatment, hope all goes well x

Horseslave

It's the logistics of it all that make your head whirl. Who will feed dog if I am ill, who will make sure kids get dinner etc... I have IDC as well, just diagnosed yesterday, will be meeting surgeon next Friday for a discussion about the mastectomy, which is their recommendation, at the end of this month. There will be radiography after that and they will discuss whether they will reconstruct at the same time. Not sure of pros and cons of reconstruction at time or later, but will find out. Hey ho.
Forties

Hello

I have made my decision about my treatments and I feel happy with it. I'm going to have my chemo first which is a fairly standard regime of 6 doses every three weeks then I'll have surgery which could be a lumpectomy if the tumour has shrunk and also lymph node clearance.  Then after all that there will be the radiotherapy.  My chemo begins next Tuesday so I'm hoping that the first dose does not wipe me out too much as I've got the following 2 weeks with my children at home for the Easter holidays!  I need to get my husband and parents (who don't live nearby) on standby.  There is quite alot of planning do for if I might be ill and I have young children.  Getting organised is part of feeling in control for me.  Hope you are feeling more in control now too.

coops53

Thank you for your reply Forties!! I have also read loads (perhaps a little too much sometimes) I am back at the clinic tomorrow to get the results of the repeated lymph node biopsy....I am also hoping that I will get a start date for my chemo as my work are giving me stress because until we have some dates cover cant be organised.... Have you been given a start date yet? Anne
Icelolly2014

Having the chemo before the op has given me the advantage of seeing if the chemo is working ie shrinking the cancer each fortnight so I feel positive it's the right chemo for me, didn't have the choice myself was told neoadjuvent and then mastectomy, I have 1 infected lymph node too and that can be investigated further during the op, having radiotherapy after, for me I just want to minimise chance of returning, stay positive and keep smiling
Forties

Hello

Its such a major upset when you get an unexpected diagnosis isn't it?  I've been diagnosed 2 weeks now with primary invasive ductal breast cancer and its in 1 lymph node too. The first week I was in shock and overwhelmed, then a week later I  saw the surgeon and he gave me the choice of surgery first followed by chemo or the other way round to shrink the cancer.  The breast nurse asked me what my gut feeling was and I said I really didn't have one. .At first I didn't want to have a choice but I now feel much better about it as its one week later and I've done lots of reading and research.  This afternoon I will interrogate(!) the oncologist with my long list of questions!  I am actually feeling in control of situation.  I've been told that in my situation (and I'm Stage 2 grade 3) time is not of the essence, its getting the right treatment plan for myself which is important within a 31 day window from diagnosis to starting treatment.  I'm sure you'll begin to feel less panicked as the days go by.  A bit of delay has really helped me get my head around things.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fy897

This link has been really useful for me.  Its the pros and cons of neoadjuvant chemotherapy.  It was published in 2007 but checked and updated in 2010 so its relevant.  Have a look, it may help you too.

Jo_BCC

Hi Coops53

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums you've come to the right place for some good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.

To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful.  Also if you need to talk to someone in confidence then our helpline team are just a free phone call away to offer you both practical and emotional support.  0808 800 6000.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/invasive-ductal-breast-canc...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

coops53

Hi Forties I was diagnosed last Thursday with this and was told that I need to have chemo first because it will shrink my lump and then potentially make the surgery less stressful because it will mean cutting away a much smaller area.... I feel soooo scared I cannot quite comprehend it all...last June I was told that the lump was a 'simple cyst' and it would go away of its own accord...so when I was sent by my GP a couple of weeks ago to have the 'cyst' drained - you can imagine my surprise when I was told I needed to have a biopsy... Sorry to waffle - this is the first time I have posted anything....I should say I am 46...

lucy12

Hi Forties.

This empowering malarky isn't all it's cracked up to be at times is it? Sometimes it's easier if someone else can make the decisions for us..

When I was diagnosed last summer, I was told grade 1 and only 6mm so wouldn't need chemo. After my WLE and node biopsy (all three nodes taken were clear) it was actually borderline grade 2 and 18mm. As the grade and size were borderline for chemo I was offered it but told it was my decision. I decided against chemo as I felt it was the right thing for me and my family at that time. I am comfortable with the decision and stand by it. Yes, IF it comes back I may wonder if I had made a mistake but you can only do what you think is right at that point in time. There are too many what if's.

My best friend had the same decision as you to make four years ago. She opted for chemo first mainly because the surgeon told her that it's a good option to see if the chemo is working well as they can actually see the tumour shrink. It gave her real comfort seeing Colin (as she called her lump) gradually get smaller and smaller and know that the chemo was working all around her body.

Good luck with your decision.

Lu xx

Forties

Hello Macie

This sounds like a horrible situation for you and I hope treatment this time is much better for you. I wish you all the best.  I have been told that having a choice of treatment is empowering which is my current situation but it does mean if things don't go well I  might blame myself for my choices rather than your situation where you can vent your anger and upset on the doctors!  To help myself decide and, having  already seen the surgeon, I've delayed decision making so I can talk with an oncologist too so I feel better informed.  This feels like I'm a bit more in control of what's going on but it could also be delaying tactics!  The hospital has a 31 day window to start treatments so I know thats my deadline anyhow.

Macie40

Hi I would just like to say I wish I could go back to the beginning againI would definitely have a mastectomy ,I was talked out of it by the surgeon in favour of WLE which I bitterly regret.
I had a WLE and was told clear margins and then radiotherapy no chemo and cancer was gone.
I knew at the end of the first year that there was still something wrong it then took the next 3 years trying to convince somebody that I wasn't a neurotic woman and it wasn't a surgical deformity as they were trying to tell me it was.
When I finally saw an onco that agreed with me it was already spread into the sternum and now into 2nd and3rd ribs so I can't help feeling if I had insisted on a mastectomy in the first place it could have been a different story I will never know.I wish you we'll what ever your decision please let us know and keep in touch as you will get lots of support here I don't post very often but I read every single day and it has been a tremendous help to me on my journey.I wish all you ladies good luck with your treatment. Love Macie x x

poemsgalore

Whatever option you choose, you have to take into consideration that for a lumpectomy (WLE) they have to get clear margins. If they don't, they will have to perform a cavity shave. This can be done (I believe) twice after WLE. After that, if there are no clear margins, a mastectomy will be performed. I decided to cut out the middle bit and went straight for the mastectomy. But it is purely a personal choice, and they might get clear margins first time. 

poemsgalore xx

SJB

Hi Forties. Just spotted your other post then found this thread.

I am 48 and was diagnosed in December. I have a grade 3 invasive ductal carsinoma (I think - it's still a  lot of gobbledygook to be honest). It started out at 5cm, with infected lymph nodes and 8/8 oestrogen positive.

I wasn't given a choice - they started me on FEC-T chemo just 11 days after diagnosis. I have now had 5 cycles - my final lot is on 2nd April, 2 weeks today.

I have been told I will still have a full mastectomy to remove all tissue, but I have chatted to others here who were able to have a small lumpectomy afterwards. If I was given the choice, and this had been an option, it is what I would go with.

Some people who have the op first find themselves having another op aftert the chemo as more tissue is found or more lymph nodes or something. I would not fancy that personally.

It's personal choice at the end of the day. Some people really want the cancer removed from their body ASAP. It is weird going through chemo reminding yourself that you still have cancer until they operate. 

Think about it carefully - read up about the options on this site, and let us know what you decide. Either way, they'll take good care of you. x

Lucy_BCC

Hi forties
Welcome to the BCC forums, along with the support you will find here our helpliners are on hand with practical and emotional support on 0808 800 6000, lines are open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Here's a link to further support ideas and the BCC newly diagnosed information which I hope you will find helpful:

https://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/diagnosis

Take care
Lucy BCC

Forties

Diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer

Just been diagnosed with invasive ductal cancer and have been given final decision on my treatments.  Due to largish lump relative to breast size its either mastectomy and lymph node removal followed by chemo (possibly radiotherapy too ) or chemo first to potentially reduce the lump so that there could be a lumpectomy instead (still with lymph node removal).  Has anyone been given this choice and how did you decide what to go for?  Is it valuable to have surgery first so that you get a full pathological report?  The surgeon says outcomes, in terms of life expectancy, are identical with both routes.  I'm in my forties so not classed as young by the hospital but I feel young.