cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed yesterday and so scared

5 REPLIES 5
Dancing_Nancy

Re: Diagnosed yesterday and so scared

Thank you all so much ... more good news for me is that I'm covered on my partners private health insurance through his employer .. this means I can see my consultant on Thursday for results of CT scan instead of the two to four weeks he said it would be on NHS. He said it was a busy day for positive results yesterday Woman Sad

My kids seem to be handling it well ... my daughter is diagnosed with emotionally unstable personality disorder and I was absolutely dreading telling her as I am the one she relies on a lot for emotional support ... but she came through for me and held it together which was such a relief. It's early days and the news is still sinking in for all of us but we are a close knit family and that is such a blessing I know.

Hopefully I will have uplifting news on thursday.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply ... bless you all xx

busyanne

Dancing Nancy, things are very hectic following diagnosis.  I felt pretty much the same as you.  Telling our family especially children is difficult.  I was terrified about getting scans as I read too much into the motive.  However I spoke to my GP who is very caring and was told it was something which would happen at some point.  The reality is that the medics need to know what position they are starting off at.  I read too much about the type of breast cancer I had and more stupidly all the old information.  Dont do that only read current relevant stuff.  Speak to your medical team the breast care nurses are all marvellous and very hepful.  I am now nearly 18  months further on from diagnosis and life is starting to get back to normal.  I am back at work, hair growing in although not quite the way I want it but hair nonetheless.  I do get tired but I think after all the treatment I have had this is normal.  I have stillto get four Herceptin treatments before I finish in August.  I had my mammagram last week and it seems to be fine nothing showing up at the moment.  So I am pretty confident now and looking forward to the future.  Once you start your treatment take each day at a time, dont punish yourself if you dont respond in same way as other women you will meet at the clinic, we are all different.  Any side affects coming from chemo radiation etc let yur medical team right away and they will sort it out, I really mean that. Good luck during your treatment.

Donnaandfamily

Hi Dancing Nancy

I know it seems like a complete state of despair......just know it does lift and you will be able to focus...one day at a time x

DON'T GOOGLE AND READ........it brings no benefits because your journey is yours and not the same as anyone else! Your team will guide you through and the lovely ladies on here.

Keep positive but ask for all the help you need.......sleeping was a nightmare for me initially and i felt so depressed.....but believe it or not this lifts (but fluctuates) and you can focus once you start your treatment plan.

Your mind is your worst enemy and will make alllllllll sorts of images. Believe the ladies on here and know that you can do this!

If your plan involves chemotherapy ...don't fear it......... it doesn;t hurt when being administered and the side effects vary for everyone...some have none.....any side effect (like heart burn or constipation - ask for something immediately...don't put up with any side effects) .....I hated loosing my hair but knew it would happen...so brought 2 wigs that look like my hair....I hate people noticing ..so for me that was important.

We all send you our best wishes and hugs....andknow we are all here for each other.

Practical advice re what to buy etc.......we have long lists we can share

Take care xxxxx

Sisterjayne

Hi nancy so sorry to hear your news , it's such a dreadful shock and at this stage it's so hard to think positive , we've all been there and you will find so much support on this site, all of us have taken this journey, all at different stages , I've had my surgery and I'm waiting for results so still anxious ,although once you do have a plan , it does seem better to cope with. What you need to do is to focus on the positive, bc is very curable these days , treatments have improved and you can beat this like thousands of others ,so you need to take each day at a time, use the site as you need to to offload and you will find so much support and love here , it has been such a comfort to me to share my experience as everyone here is going through the same journey. Sending you loads of love keep strong ,love Jayne xx
June_BCC

Hello Dancing Nancy

Whilst you are waiting for repies maybe you would like to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Dancing_Nancy

Diagnosed yesterday and so scared

Biopsies showed lump is malignant and also lymph nodes that were tested ... today I go for CT scan and chest xray ... think they are also going to organise bone scan ... telling my three kids last night (well they're late 20s to early 30s) that was the hardest thing ... but now that's done and I'm not worrying about how that ordeal I'm left with my feelings which are all over the place ... just can't think straight ... God I'm worrying that I don't have a funeral plan and how my family will pay for it ... I do appreciate I'm lucky to have friends and family around me though ... desperately trying to focus on the positives