Diagnosed yesterday - anyone else in similar situation?

Hi all,

I was diagnosed yesterday with grade 2 invasive ductal carcinoma.

I am still waiitng for the hormone marker results which will confirm the treatment plan. I know I will have surgery and radiotherapy, but they said if it’s ER+ / HER2- I might not need chemo as well, so that’s what I’m hoping for.

I am 42 and married with two small boys age 7 and 2. My husband lost his mum very suddenly to cancer 2 years ago so I think he is taking this quite badly. I’m feeling fairly calm and just want to get on with treatment now.

I have a full body CT scan tomorrow morning & an MRI next Mon. Is that normal process? I’m trying not read into it that they think it might have spread. My lump is 17mm and the lymph biopsy didnt show cancer cells but was ‘reactive’ to something so they want to investigate further.

I’d love to hear from anyone in a similar situation.

Nicky xxx

Hi Minig

So sorry you find yourself here, but rest assured you will get great advice from some amazing women.  I don’t have the same diagnosis as you but just wanted to let you know that further scans are quite normal if there is something that needs investigating.  Normally it is if they are pretty certain that there is cancer in the lymph nodes - which is not the case with you - but as you say, something has highlighted there so they want to be sure what it is.  Try not to worry too much, which I know is a silly thing to say.  If it helps, this stage where you are waiting for things to happen and results to come in, is probably the worst bit of the whole thing.  Once you have your treatment plan and things look clearer it gets a little easier.  There are loads of different threads on this forum which will be relevant to you whatever treatment you end up having and there is also a very good younger women’s forum (which I never know the address of but which I’m sure a kind mod will help me with!!)

Keep us posted and let us know how you get on.

xx

Hi Minig
Here’s the link Benedictus has mentioned to the ‘Younger women’s’ forums and information:

breastcancercare.org.uk/younger-women

Take care
Lucy BCC

Hi, I’m just diagnosed with a grade 3 Invasive ductal Carcinoma. I’ve had a CT and am due a bone scan on friday. I need to go and have another core biopsy which came as a shock and I’ve no idea why I need it because they didn’t say so the NGT meeting has been put back another week, I don’t have a treatment plan yet but have been told to expect a mastectomy, chemo and radio and poss hormone treatment. 

I am only 29 with 3 girls, 6yrs, 2yrs and 22 weeks

Cancer was such a shock diagnosis.

Hi Nicky,

I was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago with Grade 3 Invasive ductal carcinoma and I have tumours in both breasts. I’m 33 with a 2 year old and a 4 year old. I’m going in for a double mastectomy with immediate reconstruction next week then chemo and probable radiotherapy.

The first week I walked about in a bit of a daze and thought I was doing ok, until I had a bit of a meltdown and really good cry! After that I feel a bit more on top of things. Coming to terms with things and having to wait is definitely the worst bit. 

I didn’t have a CT scan but I did have the MRI and my lymph nodes haven’t been biopsied yet - they are doing a sentinal node biopsy at the same time as my mastectomy. 

Hope you are doing ok, having young kids has been a good thing for me - you just have to keep going for them!

Lyns

Thanks for your replies ladies!

Yes I think the waiting is the worst bit. I almost felt better having got my diagnosis than I felt the week before, waiting for biopsy results. It’s just so hard not to start second guessing and imagining the worst case scenario. The BC nurse was meant to call me with the hormone marker results on Wed and she hasn’t called and now it’s Fri so I’ve convinced myself she has bad news she doesn’t want to tell me over the phone.

I’m sure I will feel better when I get my treatment plan on Tuesday. It all still feels a bit unreal.

Wishing you all the best for your treatments. I’m glad this forum is here. It’s been such a support already.

Xx

Hi Nicky I have been diagnosed with grade 2 IDC as well ER+ /HER2-
I had surgery yesterday - lumpectomy and SNB also had a benign lump on other breast removed. It was ok. I am going to see the surgeon on Friday to get the results from SNB hoping it will be clear. I think between SNB and type of tumour age they work out what best plan is. Good luck.

Hi Minig good luck on Friday. Get a good comfortable, not too tight sports bra (x2) I am wearing mine now also at night time it feels comfortable. Also wash your hair night/morning before operation, this will be difficult afterwards, I have dry shampoo. They will give you some exercises to do afterwards. Let us know how you get on. X