Did you mean: 

Diagnosed yesterday [invasive lobular breast cancer]

167 REPLIES 167
Jo_BCC
Moved:

Re: Diagnosed yesterday [invasive lobular breast cancer]

13gerbera

Hi ladies and an especially big hello to post-surgery Beryl & Sarah: so relieved to hear you're OK although I hope you've got plenty of painkillers now Beryl?  Wish you both a speedy recovery 🙂

Just waiting to hear from Lynda (GazzLynn) following her surgery yesterday or have I missed a post somewhere along the line?

x

Sharon

Chez666

Hi Beryl good to hear from you and hope that the next few days go well for you, well done and I know it will be hard but no gardening or baking.....just lots of rest, big hugs and love x x x
Rosie_Rabbit

I'm a newbie here but just wanted to say I'm so pleased you are OK. And I agree with you, this forum is saving me too.

Rosie xx
Matty2

Hey there

Just reporting in

Op went OK but implant is very unconfortable and GP prescribed some stronger pain killers, just taken the first one!

Consultant said all gone to plan - back to hosptal on Monday to see BCN and Friday for results(I hope)

Hope you are OK remember Keep smiling

Berylx

Alison_46

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Wishing you well, definitely keep up the exercises. I found when I had sat for too long my arm and shoulder became stiff. Now 5 weeks post op am back to normal activity.
Take care ladies xx
Chez666

Hi Sarah, well done, now please rest and take care the first few days are especially important, love and hugs x x Cheryl
Cazz29

So pleased Sarah that you are ok, hope you are home soon. I too had more movement than i had been told i would after single mx but the main relief was waking up afterwards! I am now 7 days post op & beginning to get all the odd sensations of nerves etc beginning to repair themselves. Feeling stiffer under my arm now especially first thing in the morning but pottering about & a few exercises help a little, each day is one day nearer getting full use of my left arm back. Keep us updated, much love Cazz x
JETS

Not completely surfaced but just wanted to check in with the forum that 'saved me' and let u all know that my op went fine - I had some complications so am still in hospital ( so much for the day case!!) but for anyone waiting the relief is huge and I have a lot more movement than I thought xxx much love to beryl and others xxx sarah
Alison_46

Thinking of you & sending a gentle hug x
Matty2

Thinking of you - I'm sure you will be fine. I visited Nuclear Medicine before my Lymph Nodes were removed

Have taken you advice and am being really busy

All the best  Beryl xx

gazzlyn

ah bless you Jets, you will be okay 🙂 sending you lots and lots of positive thoughts and before long you will be home and recovering xxx
JETS

I'm sitting in hospital waiting for Big Op - been here since 7 am but they have kept me busy meeting various people - I am now waiting by a sign called nuclear medicine - feels quite apt x
keepmumsane

Crazy capable woman xxx

The bumping is horrid.  Also the anaesthetic makes you tired. Think of it as part of the recovery. 

If you get a friend to drive you, sit in the back and get them to bring a pillow to hold. I found pressure helped with the jarring on the ride home.  We live over a winding bumpy hill pass an hour away. My man drove like I was made of china. 

Be kind to yourself,  this is when you especially deserve it. Agree taxi fare is a kick in the butt though. 

Xxx

Sandie

13gerbera

Thanks ladies, I'm sure you're right and that using the tube isn't going to be possible.  I'm going back to the hospital on Thursday so I'll ask about transport then and, if the hospital can't help, I'll get a cab.

x

Sharon

Seabreeze

Hi Gerbera,
I totally agree with Chez666, check out hospital transport or a cab or ask a friend or neighbour with a car.
You really don't want to be going home on the tube post op...you'll be sore, will have extremely limited lifting capacity on the affected side, may have side affects re pain control etc...let alone the emotional side of it all. Even going over road humps in car after a lumpectomy hurts. You don't want to be dodging backpacks, people pushing on....I could go on....I had my op last summer and use the tube regularly usually but the 2 things really don't go together. Sorry if this isn't what you were hoping to hear.
I hope someone can give you a lift...hospital, friend etc.
Seabreeze
Chez666

Sharon, I am with beryl, please ask the hospital about transport as I can't bear to think of the risks involved in going on the tube. I have only had WLE and I am really nervous about being touched/bumped and I am op plus 5 days....please ring and ask the to help you... Cheryl x x
13gerbera

Hi Beryl,

I guess I could but I'm such a skinflint that paying £50 or so for a taxi breaks my heart!  I'm pretty sure a friend would collect me in her car if I asked her but the hospital is in central London and driving in that area is scary at the best of times so I'd be terrified even as a passenger!  I think I'll have to ask the hospital about transport to find out how other people do it.  So much to think about on a practical level isn't there, never mind all the other stuff!  

Sorry to be going on and on about me when you've got much more to think about.  Hope you're OK and not getting too anxious? EDIT: Forgot to say, I love your idea of a Mastectomy Eve dinner.  I think you need Crackers too (like Christmas Crackers) with plenty of naff boob jokes in just to set the right tone!

x

Matty2

Sharon - i know they are pricey but as a one off couldn't you go home in a taxi, or would the hospital have transport. Can't help feeling if you get bumped on the tube/ feel wibbly wobbly you may get damage yourself and end up back at the hospital

My daughter has a big blanket type poncho have already asked if I can borrow it, over the top of nightie and cardy and easy pull on trousers of course!!

beryl

13gerbera

Ha! I was just thinking that if I wore a big coat over the top no one would notice my jimjam top underneath!

x

Sharon

keepmumsane

Actually I wore my cardie over top of my jammie top and jeans.. shhhhh

😉

13gerbera

Thanks Sandie

x

Sharon

keepmumsane

Front buttoned blouse and stuff for trip home.  Its hard to get your arm in anything else.xx

13gerbera

Evening ladies,

Is the extra large T-shirt/ loose front buttoning top needed so that we can wear it over a drain to come home in?  I'll be coming home on public transport (the London tube!) so don't think I can get away with wearing my soft and cosy loose jimjams 🙂 

x

Sharon

Matty2

When I had a shoulder op I ended up wearing OH's xlarge T-shirts so have washed them all = just in caseSmiley Frustrated

JETS

Got my pillow from dunelm btw xxx they had several to choose from so I actually got 2 - expensive one of memory foam which is v supportive in case I need extra support and a nice soft one (£12 sale) - they also had one for £8 xxx my girls have both taken them for the night though !!!
keepmumsane

Ooo yes V pillow.  My friend bought me one and its been marvellous.  The arm on the surgery side is very stiff and more of a problem than the chest I found after mx. Definately worth a V pillow! I've done lots of sleeping and it makes things heaps easier.  Xx

I found the pjs brilliant,  and loose cardies. Managed a short sleeved baggie t shirt reasonably soon but my shelf support loose csmisole put pressure in the wrong spot. Its also hard to get arm angles right to get into it. 

I was given a softie which I have pinned under shirts occassionally,  but my favourite top is a apron style one with very drapey neck line, ties at the back.  you cant even tell I have only one breast under there. (Im a DD so its should look odd )

Xxx hugs ladies.  Thinking of you

Sandie

13gerbera

Evening ladies 🙂

I got one of the V pillows from an NHS supplier on Amazon as it was cheaper than the shops but it took a week to arrive. V comfy though and makes me feel better to know it's there if I need it.

Hope you're all doing OK

x

Sharon

Matty2

Was wondering about one of those as well - still not sure but see OH dashing out to buy one after i'm home if needed - Have loads of pillows and cushions though so , well , it unknown territory really isn't it!

beryl

JETS

* my twins not by twins obviously !
JETS

Ps decided to pop and buy. V pillow today - haven't hasvpne since I Breast fed by twins but remember it being comfy and have been told I'll struggle to sleep (really ? Hahsha) so might need propping x
JETS

Thanks Alison x have been thinking of u - when do u start ur chemo? Hope it goes ok x x sarsh
Alison_46

Hi Sarah
Just wanted to wish you all the best on Monday(hope I've got it right)
Wil be thinking of you, big hugs
Xx
Matty2

Did buy a larger size than usual as felt may be easier to handle (cardies)
Matty2

Hi

Sharon I had a couple of really OK cardies from Primark, they'll do!

Also a couple from Matalan - refuse to spend a lot on something will not aim to wear in future.

Alison - sorry you had news you weren't expecting - another step up to beating it though as the more they Know the more they can treatt.

13gerbera

Oh, so sorry it wasn't better news Alison  Do you know when you'll start your chemo yet?

x

Sharon

Alison_46

Hi ladies
Well my news today was not so great, tumour was 65mm and that combined with my age (46) means 6 sessions of chemo then rads and tamoxifen. Bit of a shock but we just have to get on and do what we have to do!!
Few ideas for taking into hospital ear plugs, good book, wipes, front fastening pjs (ASDA & tesco do nice Jersey fabric ones) comfy front fastening bra.
If I think of anything else I'll let you know, how's everyone else doing?
Xxx
13gerbera

Hi Beryl,

I think it's just that I've got over the shock now and settled in for the longhaul!  Bit worried about my blood pressure though which is through the roof because of the anxiety so I'll book myself in to see the GP tomorrow to see if there is anything I can do to help resolve that.

I had a look for front-fastening cardigans today as they're not something I buy normally and I found some cheapish ones in John Lewis in the sale but the queues at the checkout were so long that I didn't have time to get them.  Might try again tomorrow or maybe go to Primark.

I got one of those V shaped pillows today as well so that I have some decent support for sitting/lazing around post-surgery.  Not sure if I'll actually need it but I thought it might be a good thing to have anyway for sitting up and reading in bed. 

x

Sharon

Matty2

Yes Sharon

I found hat thread as well, have already one nightie like ashirt but may get a a pair of pyjams as well.

I wear jumpers not blouses or cardies but have bought a pretty almost blouse that is baggy and several cheap cardies, daughter said wear scarves to make them look better.

Not much time really to sort everything out now but then again will keep me busy 

You seem a lot brighter recently

Beryl

13gerbera

Hi Beryl,

I'd always thought there was a few weeks lead time ahead of surgery until I read a post on here from Rose a week or so ago and it seems that they do like to get you in quickly.  I'll just echo what the others have said which is that it's probably a good thing as there is less time to panic and you are closer to getting it all over with.  

I've been scouring the forum for advice on what we need to take with us for the surgery and that's been brilliant (never would have thought of front-fastening jimjams or lipbalm) so it looks as if there'll be loads to do which is a helpful distraction.

Good luck for Thursday with your pre-op: remember just one step at a time 🙂

x

Sharon

JETS

It does suddenly move fast x lots love beryl xxxx
Matty2

Had a phone call today - op next Tuesday with pre op on Thursday.

Bit of a shock as so quick after all the hanging around

Was expecting to have a letter, so it was the phone call that took me by surprise.

Beryl

13gerbera

Hi Sarah, are you doing OK?  Scary time I imagine to be waiting for surgery

x

Sharon

13gerbera

Hi Alison, sorry you're having a low weekend too but I'm sure you're right and it's the upcoming results playing on your mind.  Waiting is just the pits isn't it.

It's very noble of you to be worrying about waking Hubby, personally I'd want him awake and ready to leap out of bed at any hour of the night to make me a cup of tea should I need it 😄

13gerbera

I'm sorry you're having such a miserable time of it Beryl, but you've no idea how reassuring it is as I'm exactly the same!  The strong & competent person I used to be seems to have run away about the same time I was diagnosed and I'm not sure I like this weeping, angry, Jekyl & Hyde person who has replaced her! But I do think it is normal and totally understandable.

Big hugs to you

xx

Sharon

Alison_46

Evening ladies,
Sorry to hear that you've had a couple of moments just remember your not alone and it's very much to be expected. I have been doing really well post op but this weekend felt really low, putting it down to anxiety about results Monday!!😁
Hope you both have a good nights sleep, I'm hoping I don't snore too much & keep OH awake!! Lol
Xx
JETS

Hi beryl xxxx lots love - strange how it hits ... I went to morrisons today and was fine then got in car and burst into tears x perhaps it's in the air today x you are doing great x be kind to yourself - you are allowed to crumble every now and again ( or more than that if you want !! ) it prob is the drugs xxxx you remain very normal don't worry !!! XXXX
Matty2

Thought I had been fine but just crumpled earlier this afternoon - was then told by OH that he was expecting it as really I'm still a mess!!!

So calmed down a bit now, after yesterday, but still feel emotional as well - could it be these hormones i'm on . as I'm post menopause I'm on Anastrozole.

Hope all are OK

Beryl (Matty)

JETS

Hi beryl x ( beryl the beautiful I think ! ) - yep date set for 12 January - I have Mrsa prevention instructions and cream for my little boobs to protect them from pain before I lose the little lovelies x seems ironic xxx
Thanks Alison and others also xx as you all know my smiles are up and down but I am learning to enjoy the ups and today has ended that way xxx
Alison_46

Great news,Beryl!!
Sarah, lovely to think of you smiling and having a treat!!
Take care ladies xx