Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed yesterday

58 REPLIES 58

Re: Diagnosed yesterday

Thanks for your replies, I'm just worried about everything atm. Kim

Hi Leekim

we have all been there, but once the op is over you will feel much better, just hang in there, & it will soon be over & done with. I am 5 weeks post op & going to my oncology consultant next week , but much less frightened than I was before op. 

Let us know how you are after op & wishing that everything goes well.xx

Charys
Community Champion

Hi there Kim, After surgery, during radiotherapy and after it I had a course of cancer counselling (you can be referred for that incidentally if you think it would help, just ask your bcn who can make the referral). I recall the counsellor saying to me 'what was the first thing you thought when you were diagnosed'...I said my first thought was 'cancer...I'm going to die'. She then asked and what do you feel now? I said along the lines of 'I now realise people recover from breast cancer and clearly I'm not on my way out'. She said that people's impression of Cancer is often out of date with the current treatments and reality of today's life expectancies for people who have had breast cancer. This is all good news for us, and you Smiley Very Happy

Hi Kim,
We've all had dark thoughts at times, but it will pass, please remember that outcomes for bc have never been better & as for many of us, you will get through this & out the other side.
It will soon be out of you & you will be well on the way in your treatment plan.
take care
ann x

Hi, Dr said he will take a few from under my arm to check for cells and decide next course of action. I'm er+ and her2 result not back yet. 

Im having an awful day as I have started thinking I'm going to die. I went into work today and was useless. 

Im going on sick leave from wed as I have to get a line in on Thursday and dye injected in preparation for surgery Friday. It is all becoming so real. 

K

Hi, Dr said he will take a few from under my arm to check for cells and decide next course of action. I'm er+ and her2 result not back yet. 

Im having an awful day as I have started thinking I'm going to die. I went into work today and was useless. 

Im going on sick leave from wed as I have to get a line in on Thursday and dye injected in preparation for surgery Friday. It is all becoming so real. 

K

Sleep is a problem, because the mind won't stop working! I was given a very good tip from an Indian friend & she said toheat up some milk with ground nutmeg, I just give a few good shakes, take it up to bed & drink it as I get into bed. Since I started it four weeks ago, soon after my op & up until then had spent hours lying awake, but since then I have not had one bad night! Hope I amnot tempting fate, because never been a good sleeper.

Try it, it can't do any harm! Happy sleeps xxx

Leekim

Hello and welcome to this lovely forum,  it is a shock, that is an understatement!! but your treatment plan is now in place and very soon you will have the tumour removed, are you have a lumpextomy or mx?

I was diagnosed in Sept 16, lumpectomy Oct 16 and then 20 sessions of radiotherapy which finished this January. i am now back to my normal life and sometimes it is hard to believe what I have been through, there is light at the end of the tunnel and a very good outcome which at the moment probably does not feel as if there is xxxx

Hi Leekim, welcome to the early morning wide awake club! The good thing is that you now have your diagnosis and treatment start-plan in place. As surreal as everything feels, having decisions and a plan gives you a focus and knowledge that it is treatable. I try to not get too bogged down with the staging and focus on being strong, determined and healthy (although moments of fear can be hard to avoid as the mind uses imagination negatively at times).  I'm on day 11 of my first of eight rounds of chemo and doing really well so far (then surgery at the end). Stay strong and positive Leekim, you are doing really well and coming on here can help you if you feel mentally isolated from those around you.

Take care. X

Anniej
Community Champion

Well, Leekim, I see you can't sleep! Me neither , I guess you're wondering about the future, while I'm stuffed with drugs after my chemo! What a club we've joined, thankfully found it for support . What can I say? I think your diagnosis is a relief,  it's ductal, so bog standard like mine, and stage two out of three, so that's good too. The op is very soon, so youre ready to get rid of the little blighter. You've obviously got a good team rooting for you, and all of us on here as well. Now you just need to get ready for hospital. Check out the tips on the other thread. Are you're lymph nodes ok? You didn't say. Sending love, hugs and best wishes. X

Hi everyone, I saw consultant on thurs and he told me that I have stage 2 invasive ductal breast cancer. I'm for surgery next Friday. 

Still not sure if I actually believe what's going on but hey I'm on a journey that I wasn't prepared for. 😞 

heres hoping

kim 

Hi Maisie, you are not hijacking anyone's post. The important thing is that you found us here and can now get support from us and recognise that your feelings and anxieties are normal, under the circumstances. 

Finding this forum was the best thing for me, I no longer feel isolated and alone. 

Hi Maisie, I totally understand how you are feeling.I have been analysing every ache and pain. I have been to the worst case senario in my head. I rang the breast care nurse today and she brought me back to myself. "focus on the Facts" she said and im ok now. i have a cancer in my breast which is treatable. so thats what im focused on.
hope this helps
Kim

thanks ann, i know your right. Thankyou for helping me down from the ceiling. 🙂

Hi Maisie, welcome to the 'club', which no one wanted to join!

Are you waiting for the results, the worst time, or do you have them? Everyone on here is very sympathetic & helpful, even if we are all at differen t stages!

Lots of hugs Diane x

Maisie

Hello and welcome to the forum, you are defnitely no hijacking anyones thread, you are very very welcome.  Have you had or are you waiting for the results of your biopsies?

I don't want to hijack anyone's thread, but just joined forum and freaking out today with my biopsy results, and read your comment about anxiety and effect on your body and convincing yourself it had spread to lungs etc....yes, very much me tonight and reading that was helpful thanks, even though not written for me x

Hi Leekim!

My boob was swollen, nipple pointing downwards, puckered.....it completely changed to a different shape after the biopsy!

Try not to worry!

Sandra x

Hi Leekim, try not to work out what's happening in your breast as you'll invent more scenarios to worry about. We all do this but it doesn't help at all.  If you are concerned there has been a significant change then contact your breast nurse to discuss.

Let us know the outcome of your care plan when you have it and we can support you. I had my first chemo on Thursday and am doing fine.

Take care. Xx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Leekim, understand how worried you are as the mind goes wild waiting for results, at least mine did. only your medical team will truly know what is going on with your body. We are all so different. It's the waiting I found dreadful as every ache and pain meant the cancer had spread - not, and I was going to die - not! I've had my results, and my op, and am starting treatment. Hang in there and wait for professional, medical advice. I think guesses from mates may not be such a good idea at this very vulnerable time in your life. Sending big hugs, hoping all the best for your results, and let us know what happens. X 

Hi Kim,
Please try not to read anything into it at the mo. Even with a bc diagnosis, changes do not happen that fast & it's not possible to deduce anything by appearence. It's the anxiety monster biting again, sending the mind into overdrive.
It will be better when you have your treatment plan & know what you're dealing with.
ann x

Hi everyone, i have just noticed that my nipple is pointing towards the floor whilst other one isn't.
My tumour is a star shape and wondered if this is a more serious type. Don't get my care plan until thurs: ( but bad boob has changed so much in a week and a bit. Any ideas welcomed.

Kim

Hi Barbara,
As Optimissy says, apart from a small scar, my boobs look the same, my bc was small at 7mms.
Mri scans are not routine & are offered to those with a lobular bc diagnosis & younger women & or those with dense breasts. I had an mri for that reason, as there was a suspicion of lobular bc (which may not show up on mammo) & I also had 'young' dense breasts, so felt quite flattered in an odd sort of way!
ann x

Hi to all. I've been on another forum (March starters) but now think it meant starting treatment not just joining this club. (bit slow lol)I follow the plain speaking here better than medical jargon that I'm not up on yet so hope I can join you ladies. I was diagnosed Feb with ILC & had mastectomy 27th March. 9 nodes removed & only 2 clear. I'm having CT scan on Thurs so chemo & radiation on the cards. You all sound so brave so hoping it rubs off on me.
Good luck to us all xx

Hi Barbara

I echo the last post. See what  the consultant says. I had a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node removed and quite honestly the boob is very much as it was before, just with a slight scar that is fading by the day. I think he/she will tell you honestly, depending on the size of your lump and its position in the breast, whether it will look deformed afterwards. If it weren't for needing to protect the boob from sun due to the radiotherapy I'd have no problem going topless on a beach (a quiet one, 'cos I'm old and shy!) and I stil like my boobs - both of 'em! In fact I think I like them a bit more now because I'm lucky enough to still have two of them. I don't know about MRI scans as I wasn't offered one - I don't think everyone has one.  I do hope you are able to get some information to help you make this difficult decision. xxxxx

Fuertelover

I have just seen your post from 28th, that is fab news, I am so so pleased for you mate.  Hope you didnt have too bad a head after the celebration drink xxxx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Barbara, wait until you hear what your consultant has to say re mx/ lumpectomy . My boob is a little flat on one side, but the nipple is still in place and there are no scars. Once my bra is on you can't tell.  Everyone is very different. I felt I didn't want any reconstruction as time is precious , me being a granny with lovely grand kids to run after. Fortunately a lumpectomy was offered, and I had an outstanding plastic surgeon. A good result for me. Isn't it funny that our ears stop working with bad news? I had my hubby with me and we were able to piece it all together. I had a little notebook with me, but somehow my hands weren't working! Good luck with the appointment. 🍀

Hi Barbara

understand your worry about funny shape breast, but the surgeon will do his best to give you a good shape, mine is smaller, but not noticeably so & you can have mammoplasty to help, even if it is sometime after the op.  Mine does look a little flatter on one side, but by the time you have a bra on, you don't  notice it!

Hope everything goes well for you, it is the worst time emotionally before the op.

lots of love & hugs & hope you will be back onhere to let us know how well it went! Xxx

Hi and thank you so much for all your replies. I still don't know what to do but have my admission appointment this Friday so may ask a bit more then. I am going to tell my surgeon if it looks bad to take it all off I don't want a bit chopped off and look awful I like my boobs as we all do so it's either got to be not noticed or all off and a new one !! Also I haven't been offered mri scans and I have an irritable cough I've had since I stopped smoking years ago. Had it checked out several years ago and they said maybe start of copd but more worried now obviously. Should I ask for an mri or is ignorance bliss 😏 ?? Or will they give me one anyway ??
Anniej
Community Champion

Fyertelover, excellent news from you. So very pleased. 🎉🎉🎉

Hello Barbara. Sorry you have had to join the group,but everyone is very helpful on here. I was diagnosed on March 3rd & the shock of it is the worst part. I had my op on April 3rd   After what seemed a very long wait, when all I wanted was to get rid of what was invading my body!  I chose to not stay overnight, as no one else was! I didn't go down until 4pm, so it was touch & go, but by nine I had had something to eat & drink & been up, so came home. I felt much better than I expected & today went to hear the biopsy results. ALL GOOD ! The tumour was removed with clear margins & the node biopsies were clear too, so a celebration drink tonight. So try not to worry, very hard, but sure everything will go well.

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Barbara, welcome to the club. Yes, you need to make your own decision based on your results, the advice of your consultant and your own feelings. When I was first told I had cancer I just wanted the breast removed . I went to my consultant absolutely determined, but then got the results . Grade 3, not what I wanted to hear, but my consultant shrugged and said it was just a little naughty! 23mm, so not huge, and big smiles from BCnurse. Ductal, so yay, easy to treat. Also had cancer in the lymph nodes, so no matter what I decided chemo and rads was a given. My consultant thought the best option was a WLE. He drew diagrams of what would be done, after I held his hand and asked him if I was his mum is that what he would recommend . Yes. Happy with the outcome. I have a deflated breast, no external scars and a nipple. I was operated on by a plastic surgeon due to the position and agreed procedure , which included tucking and lifting the breast. All very p, very clever. Barbara, phone up and ask more questions if you are unsure. You can't undo it. Good luck, and do let us know how you get on. X

Hi Babara, sorry to hear you have joined our exclusive club. I agree with the other ladies here,  it's up to you once you have all of the facts. Perhaps you need to wait until you know a bit more before you decide?

I'm 48 and don't have a choice, it's mastectomy for me due to the size of the tumour and diffuse margins, it kinda sucks but I don't care. I choose life every time and I'll call my reconstruction my "Barbie boob"'(Barbie doesn't have nipples) and I may get a nipple tattoo and some flower tattoos to cover the scarring.

i just had my first chemo today and feel fine.

Take care and best wishes. Xx

oh barbara, i know, big decisions. its such a shock to hear about your diagnosis, making a big decision at the same time  is too much. Speak to your team when the time comes. 

my family have also not taken the news well, im dealing with it better than i thought. if its any consullation my sister in had a mastecomy last year as her lumpectomy wasnt succesful, in hindsight she said she should have had a full mastectomy first as it would have saved her having two anasthetics 

i believe they reconstrust the breast in the same op if they can

hope this helps

K

My plan was lumpectomy but after MRI finding 10 areas of tiny malignant areas I had a mastectomy. If I hadn't had the MRI I would not have known about the other areas and had the lumpectomy - all that would have happened then is they wouldn't have got clear margins following the lumpectomy - resulting in a mastectomy anyway. I would follow your consultants advice and if you opt for a lumpectomy and have clear margins then brilliant, you would have made the right choice. If the margins aren't clear then worse case is having to go back in for a possible mastectomy. I didn't end up with the choice due to all the areas but would have been happy with a lumpectomy and radiotherapy as was also told same outcome.

Hi Barbara

it's a shock at first isn't it? The choice of which op is obviously going to be yours, but let me share my experience When I was diagnosed in November 2016 the surgeon said there were 2 options- mastectomy or lumpectomy, and in view of the small size of my tumour I immediately said lumpectomy without even asking about what he recommended. However, once he heard my answer he smiled and said that in my case the prognosis would be the same whichever one i had. When I next saw him i asked why he had even mentioned mastectomy since the lumpectomy was going to be just as good, and he said that some ladies prefer to have the whole breast off to give them reassurance but actually it would be the same for me either way. Mine was Grade 2 originally but after lumpectomy and sentinel lymp node removal they found it was Grade 1 (better) and no nodes involved, so just 15 lots of radiotherapy and a hormone tablet for 5 years. If your own surgeon is saying "whoa, think about it" sort of thing, then perhaps a mastectomy would be over the top? Personally I am delighted  with my decision and outcome but you just need to check out with the surgeon that lumpectomy would be correct for you.They wouldn't offer to do it if they didn't think it would be successful. Hope all goes well and you make a speedy recovery. xxx

Barbaratownsend

Hello and welcome, albeit that is a place non of us would choose to be on, however there are a lot of wonderful ladies on here who will help and support you through your journey and going forward.

I can not help with regard to the decision you are making, I had a lumpectomy, my cancer was grade 1, tubular and hormone receptor positive, so I am on tamoxifen for the next 5 years now.   I had radiotherapy for 4 weeks following surgery.

I think you need to get all the information from your team that you can to enable you to make the best informed decision for you.

Let us know how you get on and remember that we are all here for you

Helena xxx

Hi my names Barbara I'm 65 in June and was diagnosed yesterday. I've just told my son and my daughter in Australia is ringing me today. Telling my kids is upsetting me more than the op!! It's stage 2 they offered me mastectomy or lumpectomy at first I just said take it all away then my surgeon said it was a bit drastic and I am going in as a day patien on the 16th of May but I'm still having doubts about the lumpectomy as opposed to mastectomy any help would be appreciated 😩

Trisha r u by any chance in Belfast ??

amin the same boat.  Dont get Biopsy results til my appt on Tuesday 4th.  Consultant very certain by the ultrasound that it is cancerous and have MRI booked for 5th May.  Its a horrid time, am thinking of you, me and all those other beautiful ladies out there.  This forum is a god send xx

Anniej
Community Champion

Hi Leekim, understand exactly where you are coming from. I was allowed to continue with my holiday plans as there was a two week wait for the path results, and then a week for the team to meet. It was the best thing I could have done, although I have very little recollection of getting on the plane! Came back tanned and full of life, which has helped me through the last few months. Good luck, and take that holiday if you can. X

sandra and Mai ,my head is working overtime.  i have mine being a secondary from the tumours all over my body, im driving past undertakers and thinking about my funeral. every one thinks im taking it well as i can be extremly humourous about it, but hey roll on next thursday!! till i meet the team. 

i need to know!! 

i have a holiday booked for late May and i would like to go and get a good rest before my surgery. I hope the team will agree.

kim 

Hi Leekim, yes the anxiety will wear you out and play tricks with your imagination. I had these feelings for the first week or two. I found the anxiety kept me awake and gave me chest pains and headaches so I convinced myself the cancer had spread to my lungs, which of course it hadn't. These feelings are very normal.

Take care xx

Hi Leekim!

I think anxiety is the thing that makes you tired! Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but you will be looked after and treated!

Hugs
Sandra x

I was told that mine is definitely cancer just don't know what stage or type, my fingers are crossed that it's not too bad I'm very tired though:( think it's the shock

FlyingArcher
I am pleased you had a good result!

I still have a blue boobie they said it could last a year! The trouble was during my op the registrar spilt some down my arm and apologised afterwards!

Sandra x

Hi

i am not sure about the puckering as I don't think I have that.  However, the mind can go into overdrive at every slight mention or frown or suggestion.    I was so sure the teeny tiny calcium thingies from the ghastly biopsy proceedure on Tuesday were cancer that I decided that it was going to be mastectomy and chemo.  Found out yesterday that they are benign.  Am booked in for lumpectomy on Thursday 4th with blue injection on Wednesday.  I feel so chuffed with this but it is so opposite to how I was feeling on Saturday and will undoubtably have more blue (metaphorical as well as literal) moments.   Every best wish and fingers crossed for you.  

Sandra - mine was the same as yours. I also had an indentation when i lifted my arm above my head - I understand the tumour is causing it as it pulls the skin/breast tissue up when you stretch if you know what I mean. Mine was invasive but had mx and all gone now. I would have needed radiotherapy if had lumpectomy but having mx I didn't require it. Just Tamoxifen daily now. Hopefully you won't need chemo with grade 2 (that's why I didn't need it).

Hi Leekim!
I was told if I was going to get breast cancer it's the best type! Grade 2 er+ her 2 -

The lump was attached to the skin which made it pucker! It was 3cm!

I have had a lumpectomy with clear margins and sentinal node had a micromet on!

I have decided to have an axillary dissection which will happen next week!

Not sure what happens after that....radiotherapy yes! Tamoxifen yes! Terrified if I need chemo! The thought is making me ill!

Sandra x

Yes the puckering is a worry , the dr who examined me actually said this to me. I hope that the Tumour is localised in the breast . The whole situation lunges us into a new world, language and space. If I come out the other side it will change me forever. I'm not going to work as hard I'm going to do more for me and be with family and friends as much as I can.
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my previous posts your comments are really helpfulxx