Diagnosed yesterday

Hi everyone, I’m so pleased I found this forum! I was diagnosed yesterday but have only been given limited info and have to go back on Tuesday to get more info and a treatment plan. It’s awful as I now feel in limbo. I’ve been told I have 2 invasive lobular cancers measuring 7mm and 24mm in my right breast, and a DCIS in left breast of 7mm. They couldn’t tell me whether I’ll have to have a full mastectomy of the right breast or whether they can just remove the cancer. I’m scared and confused, I feel like have so many questions! I’ve been given some booklets about reconstruction but I don’t even know if I’ll be able to have it let alone which option to go for! Please can anyone advise? What questions should I be asking on Tuesday? Thanks :slight_smile:

Daisy

Hello and welcome to the forum where you will get loads of help and support from the wonderful ladies on this forum.

This is a scary difficult time when you are waiting for your results/ waiting for more results before your treatment plan can be finalised, but the thing to remember is each persons’ treatment plan is individual to them so your team will want to make sure that they have got all of the information they need before finalising it.  I know this is not good for you as you have the worry, but you are in very good hands and they will get you through this.  Once you have your treatment plan it will set out cleary your diagnosis and what is going to happen and when.

There are some very useful leaflets on the information and support swection of the website but I have found the following links, especially the second one which might help you initially, if you cut and paste them into your search bar you will be able to download them as pdf files :

breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/pdf/bcc44_breast_cancer_and_you_2016_web.pdf

breastcancercare.org.uk/information-support/publication/understanding-your-pathology-report-bcc161

We are all here to help you so please do not hesitate to ask question because I am sure that there will be someone on here who will be able to answer them.  There is also the Ask our nurse board and the helpline number which is open 24/7 where you can actually speak to someone about anything. 

Please do not generally google as there is so much misinformation and out of date stuff on there, stick to this website or the Macmillan as they are the most up to date.

Sending you a hug and, I promise you that you will get through this and out the other side, so many of us have and are now leading our normal lives again

Helena xxxx

Thanks so much for this LadyBowler it’s really helpful. They wouldn’t give me my path results and told me to wait until Tuesday! All I’ve been given is two pamphlets on the type of cancer I have, plus two leaflets on reconstruction. It would have been helpful to have the general leaflet as I’ve already had to tell close friends and family and didn’t know what to say. Also need advice on how to tell my children :frowning:

Hi Daisy, sorry to hear you’re news. It’s quite natural to be confused and scared at this stage as the unknown is scary. I had to wait two weeks for the path results,  but then there was another weeks wait while the medical team decided on the course of treatment. Probably the worst period of my life, so I know where you’re coming from. I can’t answer your medical questions, but I can offer a few tips that worked for me. DO NOT Google . Use this site for info, and the forum for friendship and support. Chunk the journey down into small steps. It’s more manageable that way. Keep busy and distract your mind. Keep a diary, and note down questions you need answers to, advice you are given, and emotions you need to vent. You are about to begin a marathon. You won’t believe the tests you need before you start your treatment, so get fit and make sure your diet is healthy. This will give you back some control. Finally, BC is so very treatable, and although it’s not an easy journey you WILL make it . Best wishes for your results. X

Hi Daisy. Sorry to hear your news. These ladies are amazing. They are there with kind words and practical advise. I am 3 days ahead of you and found this on my bad day. Sitting there bawling your eyes out thinking there is no-one to turn to and all you need to do is log on. Someone is here to help and tell you that everything you are feeling is totally normal.

Sam

Hi Daisy, sorry to hear of your diagnosis and welcome to our friendly club that none of us wanted to be in. The beginning is the worst time whilst you wait for scans, tests, results and  decisions because whilst you are waiting your mind spirals out of control with anxiety and worst case scenario. I felt like every ache and pain in my body must be cancer spreading rapidly. (Of course it wasn’t). Try and find something to distract your mind a bit, like Anniej said, look at getting healthy for treatment and immerse yourself in that. About me: Im 48 and was diagnosed at the end of Marchbwith stage 2 locally advanced invasive BC 5cm tumour on the left and 4 local nodes. This makes me a “must have” for chemo so team didn’t even need to oncotype me! I started my first of eight FEC-T chemo treatments on 27th April and my second was yesterday. I’ve generally felt  really well and my side effects have been minimal. I know it’s hard but try not to worry, have a nice camomile tea and light an aromatherapy candle and give yourself some “me” time before you try to sleep. Take care. X

Dear everyone

Thank you for the wonderfuol support you are offering to Daisy52.  She is not ignoring you but we are having some issues with her accessing the Forum.  We are working hard to sort out the technical issue and she will be back to respond to you all asap.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer