Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosed

8 REPLIES 8
Jo_BCC

Re: Diagnosed

Hi Chippi87

Welcome to the Breast Cancer care discussion forums, and am glad to see that you're getting some good support from your fellow forum users.

I have put for you below links to some of BCC's publications which you may find useful especially related to being one of the younger women on this site. We have here a dedicated helpline for those with a BC diagnosis, their family and friends, which is staffed by breast care nurses and people who have personal experience of breast cancer. The staff on the helpline are here to support you through this so don't ever think that something is too trivial to ask about, give them a ring. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 9-2. The links to publications are below:

Resource Pack:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTe...

Younger women:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTe...

Standards of care:

Take care,
Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Will be thinking of you on the 10th. I'm sorry you've had to deal with all this especially being so young. My mum is down to have a masectomy in the next two weeks. Well done for coping so well through this and do continue to come here for support if needed. This is a great site.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Christie,

Hope all went well for you on the 10th, and well done for coping as well as you have, you shouldn't have to deal with this cr*p at your age, but you seem to be dealing with things really well, keep us posted.
Take care Sandrae x x x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Chippi87

It's good that you are oestrogen sensitive. That means you can have something like tamoxifen, which blocks the effects of oestrogen on cancer cells that may be hanging about. The chemo isn't pleasant but we all get thru it. I viewed it as my beat friend, blasting those nasty cancer cells to kingdom come. Thankfully, the friendship has come to an end (she was too demanding of my time!!)

Julia xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks everyone and yeah it's very hard to get your head round but i'm kept busy with my little boy so don't have much time to think about it really but not sure if thats a good thing or not. They have told me my cancer is oestrogen fed so i'm going to be on oestorgen blocker tablets for at least 5years and I'm sure i'll be a nervous wreck on thursday until it's over and i was thinking about the cold cap but not sure about wether to have it or not. hope all the best to you all.

Christie xxxx

tors

hi chippi87,

sorry you have been diagnosed with breast cancer, its all so unreal isnt it? I was diagnosed in march aged 36 with 2 little boys, 4 and 2, and i still haven't got my head round it. Good luck with your tests results, its the worst lead up and day ever, but it willpass. I am on chemo, hasn't been as bad as i thought, though it is shit! I was told they would give me chemo regardless of results due to my age, as they tend to "throw the kitchen sink" at it when you are young. I used the cold cap firsy session, but then bits of my hair came out so i shaved it off, but then realised that there was much moe left than i thought and so maybe the cold cap had done itsjob after all! Too late by then as i had a number three crew cut!

Be kind to yourself. There is a thread for women in their 20s on the younger women section which may be worth a look for you, given your very very young age to be hit by this,

Vickie
xxxxx

sandra4

Hi Chippi87
Sorry you have had to join us, but you will get a lot of helpful advice and an awful lot of support.
Well done for coping with the mastectomy, must be very hard with a baby, you automatically want to pick them up, but take your time, l am sure you are getting a lot of help from family and friends.
Good luck with the results, always difficult waiting for results.
Unless l am very much mistaken the hairloss is part of chemo, but l may be wrong! Being young you can get away with lots of different hats and buffs, and they really do some lovely wigs, so don't be too worried about the hair, the most important thing is that you are alright and get through the breast cancer, the hair will grow back, and you could have fun with different styles, and colours, things you have not tried before.
Once again good luck on the 10th
Sandra xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Chippi,

I was diagnosed last nov aged 32 I have 2 young kids aged 4 and 2, I had a lumpectomy and am due my last cycle of chemo in 2 weeks, I did the cold cap with chemo so managed to save most of my hair I did thin a lot but kept a covering so did not need my wig. Chemo is doable its hard but you will get there. due my radiation treatment in July got 4 weeks to do then onto tamoxifen for 5 years as my cancer was 100% hormone driven

Glad your feeling ok after surgery. You will be the same as me they gave me chemo due to my age but I thought blast me with everything you can.

Take care of yourself.

J xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Diagnosed

Hello im 22 years old and i have a 6 month old son. I was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. i had a mastectomy on the 1st and was home the next day im suprisingly feeling great the hardest thing for me was not being able to hold my son for a couple of days, but i have my results on the 10th and I'm really nervous about that. They have already said ythey are going to give me chemo wether i need it or not which im dreading incase i loose my hair as it's a noticable thing unlike losing a breast.