Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnosis of bone mets

18 REPLIES 18
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Diagnosis of bone mets

Hello Shan,
When I first got my Bone Mets, I had a niggling back ache that didn;t go away and then that progressed to a very specific pain if I jarred my back (stepped down suddenly into a hole on the beach, stopped my bike by putting my feet down).
Since treatment, my pain is alot better, I do get stiff and achy sometimes and am on slow-release morphine. Some mornings I forget to take it and am more achy than normal my late afternoon. I am stiff when tiuring over in bed, so tend not to sleep as well as usual.
Sue
grumpy

Ladies - good news! Nurse phoned - the onc says it IS a DEXA scan I need, he has no concern about bone mets!!! RELIEF!!!
So I rang the appts number and got the scan brought forward to 20th May instead of 29th - RESULT. It's amazing what you can get when you are polite and emphatic......

Thank you for your concern and support, it's great.
grumpy

grumpy

STILL no proper information - onc in theatre all day, so roll on tomorrow.
If it's a DEXA scan I shall be relieved, if it's a CAT/bone scan I'll be getting it quick via my GP......
GRRRR!!!!!
grumpy - but chirpy cos it's a lovely day to get in the garden.

SueCheshire

Hi Shan
I was diagnosed 5 years ago, I had pain at that time but after treatment not much pain at all. I took an occasional ibuprofen especially if I was going to have a long day.
At the moment I have no pain.
i think everybody experience is different.
Sue

Jo_BCC

Posted on behalf of new user Shan - Jo, Facilitator

hi any one please May i know , if the breast cancer had spreaded to the bone ,how the patient suffers ? and will that the patient be painful?

ponsmuir

Hi Grumpy,
Have sent you a pm!
grumpy

Ladies thanks for your support..... I had bone density scan 3 yrs ago.pre letrozole.The onc said this time I need a CATscan, the nurse said radio isotope and the bl##dy letter says DEXA for bone density!!!!! So confusion reigns...... will get a proper tale tomorrow.
Sitting in the campervan on the prom in glorious sunshine ON A BANK HOLIDAY - wow!
grumpy

GIJaneH

Sending hugs too Grumpy.... I agree with you about the information vacuum - limbo is the hardest place to be...

love Jane x

JCJ

Keepign evreyhting crossde Grumpy - hence hte apalling tpyign!
Ali_H

Hi Grumpy, also just sending my best wishes and hoping that you're ok x
katytc

Grumpy, my bone scan with injection showed lots of hotspots which were all arthritic, you do get a letter explaining in detail everything that will happen on the day. Hope you are ok xx

Kayteeb53

Hi Grumpy, I had DEXA scan before starting anastrozole. Was very quick and easy. Hope all is well
kay x
Guest user
Not applicable

If I remember correctly my bone scan with isotope (or at least something they injected and then had me go back a few hours later to scan), said on it clearly that this was the process and that I would have p wait around for a while after the injection. That doesn't rule out a CT scan, but I had the former to scan for any hotspots. Which indeed I had, and then needed an MRI to work out hat thy were. Thankfully wear and tear, arthritis etc. It is horrible and scary, but even if hotspots show, bone scans come up with lts of false positives xx
lucinda

Hi Grumpy if you are having a bone scan you go for an injection first and go back for the actual scan 3 hours later,this as it implies just checks the bones and has Mel says picks up the hot spots so can locate tumours,ot arthritis in the bones.The cat/ct scan will scan bone and soft tissue,they do infect a dye and it is a machine shaped like a giant polo.If it is a ct scan you will be required to drink water via to scan.A dexa scan is just to measure your bone density and this is normally done if you are having hormone therapy.Did your letter not indicate anything aqbout the scan? Whatever scan you are having make sure you wear jogging bottoms without zips,a bra with no metal(sports bra) and no chains then it will make it much easier for you with no need to undress.
maybe they are planning more than one scan and unless it is urgent I often have to wait a couple of weeks for an appointment.Hope you sort it out and good luck with results.

L xx

grumpy

Buffy
thanks for that - yes that's what I thought.
HOWEVER onc said CAT scan, nurse described the radio isotope/scan version, and the letter states DEXA scan for 29th May ....... so I have no idea what's actually required. and of course it's BH so I can't find out till Tuesday. Spoke to clinic Fri pm and nurse has PROMISED to let me know on Tuesday. If I need a CAT scan I cannot wait until end May, so my GP will do a private referral bless him.

I can't function in a vacuum of information!!!

grumpy

Buffy3

Just googled ct and cat scan are the same. xxx
Buffy3

Hi, the bone scan with radio isotopes is for 'hot spots' caused by bone mets (or indeed other illnesses), the dexa scan is to check for bone density, I had this one recently as a baseline before I started taking letrozole which can cause bone thinning. I have had a CT scan, am not sure if this is tge same as a CAT scan, I am given a dye by injection and then go through the 'giant polo' scanner. This checks my soft tissue as well as my bones. As I said am not sure if CT and CAT are the same. I hope this helps xxx Mx
Lucy_BCC

Hi Grumpy

Our helpline is open until 2pm if you want to call about your query? Call 0808 800 6000 (10-2 Sat and 9-5 weekdays)

Best wishes

Lucy

grumpy

Diagnosis of bone mets

Some info please - what is the difference between a CAT scan, a DEXA scan, and a bone scan with radio isotope?
My onc has not been clear and it's weekend so I cant get hold of him
grumpy