Diagnosis - what diagnosis?

Hello everyone,

Has anyone else had problems with ultrasound?

I have had four ultrasound scans - the results are as follows:

Visit no. 1 -  2002 when I had my first Breast Cancer. I had an examination, ultrasound scan, biopsy and diagnosis in one morning - excellent.

Visit no 2 - Three years later I had an ultrasound scan for kidney stones. The radiologist told me I had three little stones and showed me the scan. 10 days later my GP had a letter saying there was nothing there. A few months later at my Breast Clinic review the doctor, without any prompting from me,  showed me a letter and picture she had received from the ultrasound dept telling her I had three kidney stones. Ah well, an admin error, no point in making a fuss and I’d passed the stones by then anyway.

Visit no 3 -  2012 I found another breast lump. My GP agreed and referred me back to the clinic. The surgeon found the lump straight away and sent me for ultrasound and biopsy. The radiographer was very off hand and said ‘nothing there, there’s no point in doing a biopsy, you may as well go home.’ I didn’t, I went back to the surgeon who was furious and did the biopsy herself! There was a 2cm grade 2 lump behind my nipple!

Visit no 4 - I have lump in my back. The GP said not only could she feel the solid immovable lump but she could see it. She ordered an ultrasound. When I was at the breast clinic two weeks ago I mentioned it to the dr. He could also feel it but didn’t take action as the GP had it in hand. After a six week wait, I had my ultrasound today and was told there was nothing there. I said two doctors had felt it and his reply was ‘well it must be in your spine - goodbye.’ 

The lump is still there. Has anyone else had similar experiences with ultrasound? What do I do now, go back to my GP and ask for another scan or wait two weeks for the GP to receive the results?

I have been having trouble with my knee since March and the GP and Physiotherapist  think it stems either from my hip or from a trapped nerve in my spine. As I have osteoporosis from Arimedex the physio won’t do much until I receive the results of knee and hip xrays. I have been waiting seven weeks for the results!

Sorry for what has turned into a rant but all this waiting is getting me down. 

I hope you are well enough to get out and enjoy some of this glorious weather.

Hugs 

Janebee

Hi Janebee,

I’m sorry to see you’ve had a very frustrating experience and I’m sure other users will be along to share their experiences soon. In the meantime, I’d suggest you call our helpline, who will be able to advise you on the best course of action.

Best wishes,

Bonita

JanBee

No wonder you are fed up with everything that has been going on with you lately, it would be enough to test even the moth stoical of us.

Well I would say as you are still not convinced, and it will keep preying on your mind, I would make another apt with your GP now not wait for them to get the results letter, also just in case it takes longer than 2 weeks for them to get it.

Never worry about ranting on here, this is a safe environment where we all understand and can help and support you.

Helena xx

Thanks for your support, Helene. It’s really apprciated. Yesterday I was in excruciating pain all day despite being on Tramadol and Paracetemol. I have made an appointment to see my GP on Wedneday and if my results are not through I am going to ask to be referrred to another hospital. I’ll have to wait for results again but I hopefully not so long.

I hope you have happy pain free weekend

Hugs

Jane