Diagosed with bc and struggling to stay positive

Hi all,
I have just been diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma of the breast with 2 lesions. I am now waiting for a lumpectomy, sentinel node biopsy and 6 weeks of radiotherapy at Peterborough hospital.
Two years ago I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis so I know how to deal with all the roller coaster of emotions but this time I am finding it tough to keep positive. I’m managing a positive attitude for my supportive family but inside I feel like I am doing a meltdown. I suppose it’s the waiting and not knowing causing me to feel like this and when my treatment gets underway I will get back to my fighting positive self that everyone knows so well. I almost feel ashamed I feel like this, there are so many more people out there in the same boat. I lost my best friend to breast cancer last July and she was so inspirational, I really will have to get a grip.
Whinge over, I feel better now I’ve written it down!
Onwards and upwards
Suex

Hi Sue

I’m sorry you’re feeling this way, but it’s perfectly normal to experience these emotions and anxieties.

Whilst you’re waiting for others to come along, I just wanted to mention the Helpline. If you feel it might help to talk, do give them a call. They’re great listeners and can direct you to other sources of information and support too.

They’re open today 10-2 and Weekdays 9-5 on 0808 800 6000.

Best wishes.

Louise, Facilitator

Sue, There’s no need to feel you have to be positive and you’ll only stress yourself out trying to put on a brave face for others. Learning you have cancer is devastating. Each of us has experienced a whole range of emotions but the good news is that it is much more treatable now than it has been in the past and though the treatment is nasty it can be endured. Good luck with your journey there are lots of people on here who will support you through this challenging time.

I read ‘struggling to stay positive’ and felt I had to say something, but Maire has said it all (and far better than I would have!). All the best and feel free to whinge whenever you like. Pauline xx

Hi sue
The waiting and not knowing can be excruciating and it is very hard to cope with all the emotions that seem to flood in from nowhere. I went to see my gp as apart from being in floods of tears whenever on my own in the house ( too much thinking time) I started having panic and anxiety attacks about a month ago. I was diagnosed in dec and was fine until feb then it hit me. My gp said I was absol normal the way I was feeling and it was actually expected! That in itself made me feel easier. He has put me on some anti anxiety tabs which I think are starting to help. So whilst not relishing my Mx next week I am coping. Everyone is different to the way they handle their thoughts and emotions same as no two people have exactly the same experiences on chemo. When you feel negative look at it as a blip roll with it and you’ll come out the other side. It is part of WHAT you are going through not WHO you are .
I will also be having my chemo and rads at Peterborough so I guess you are somewhere close by?? So if you want to meet up for a coffee or chat don’t hesitate to get in touch xxx

LS

Thankyou for your support and sharing your experiences, it means a lot to me, I dont feel so alone anymore. I feel better already.
Suex