71712members
376146posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did I need a core biopsy? How accurate are the results? Am I worrying myself sick (Literally) for no reason? and 100 more Q's...

18 REPLIES 18
katytc

Re: Did I need a core biopsy? How accurate are the results? Am I worrying myself sick (Literally) for no reason? and 100 more Q's...

Yippeeeeeeeeeee!! Fabulous news, wishing the same news to everyone else who is waiting for results xx

tazemmiandevil

Re: Did I need a core biopsy? How accurate are the results? Am I worrying myself sick (Literally) for no reason? and 100 more Q's...

Thank you Sandra, Flori and Mummyto2.
Best of luck to you both Mummyto2 and Sandra, I really hope you are both smiling tomorrow too, fingers crossed for you nad positive thoughts being sent your way! Will keep an eye out for updates xxx
Mummyto2

Thats such great news tazmanian, I'm really pleased for you!! Go amd think of nice things 🙂 for me it would be chocolate, holidays & winning the lottery!! I hope this time tomorrow I'll be thinking of those things too! Xxxx
Downbutnotout

Congratulations Flo on your result!

That's good that they're going to remove it, then you know for sure and you know it's gone. It's great to 'hear' you're feeling so calm and looking forward to tomorrow. Go and enjoy the freedom from worry.

Best Wishes
Flori
X

Sandra - best of luck for tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
Flori
X

Sandra51

Oh hun Im so pleased for you!!!!!.. and I cant begin to imagine how your feeling because I hope that Im feeling the same after tomorrow... results day for me!!!.. sending you lots of hugs and best wishes xx
tazemmiandevil

Thank you!! It's fine, I'm fine. It is a fibroadenoma and they are removing it before Christmas (Mutual decision) So I will know for sure then that it's nothing nasty.
It's weird, I feel so relieved, so glad, but now I'm not quite sure what to think about... I've spent the last 3 weeks worrying and all of a sudden it's "You're fine, carry on as you were..." But I'm smiling and tomorrow is going to be a good day!!

Thank you all for your advice, for listening and sharing, you don't know how much those first answers calmed me down! xx
Mummyto2

Good luck for your results today tazmanian, really hope it's good news for you. Thinking of you xx
keyfeatures

Good luck with your results tazemmiandevil.
tazemmiandevil

Results day today.... am sure it will all be ok, feeling very calm which is odd for me!! Will let you know what happens later. Xx
tazemmiandevil

Thank you everyone and thank you for taking the time to reply to me, you know, I've read all of this advice on here before, but people saying it to me, about my situation and sharing your own experiences makes it personal and easier to swallow/understand...
Oh no Sandra, poor you! Maybe now you know what's coming you could pop a couple of painkillers in advance of the anaesthetic wearing off, or a bottle of wine....? 😉
Thanks Flori, yes have tried paracetamol and ibuprofen too, it's the sudden hot stabbing pain that gets me and it doesn't hide that, they are less frequent now though so that's good, and I think I've decided that if I have a choice and Murray is benign he's coming out! I would always be thinking the worst of him and checking constantly - no thanks!!
Hi keyfeatures, that must have been a horrible shock, and one I imagine most women at this stage are worried about, I am! The trouble is I've tried to remember everything that was said, by everyone and I end up over analysing things..... You've explained things nice and clearly for me, thank you. How re you doing now?
Xxx
keyfeatures

It's only natural to be worried. However, a core biopsy really is best for solid lumps because the samples give them an idea of how the cells are located within the breast tissue. Should there prove to be any malignancy they will be able to tell if it is lobular / ductal / invasive or in situ. It's standard clinical practice to core biospy any U3 (probably benign) lump. Hopefully it comes back benign. Depending on size, they may still want to remove it. I had a U3 diagnosis following mammo and ultrasound. Unfortunatley the biopsy came back as cancer. However, this the less usual result. I think they tend to use fine needles on cysts and dodgy looking lymph nodes.
Downbutnotout

Hi Flo

Sorry to hear of your worries and the discomfort from your biopsy. Have you tried anything like paracetamol to take the edge off the pain? It's good that they've done a core biopsy to make sure of what it is and the pain will soon ease.

Regarding 'Murray' (I like your name for it) having him removed, if he's a fibroadenoma, is not something you should feel guilty about for 'taking up a hospital bed'. I think if it gives you peace of mind that you wouldn't get if it was left then I don't consider that you're being selfish at all. Worry is an awful thing and worrying you might have cancer takes its toll. So, if they offer to remove it, and that's what you prefer, then go and get rid of it and have yourself a bit of peace of mind.

Definitely don't Google, as I was told, a lot of the info is really out of date or just not reliable. BCC have a lot of information on their site and their helpline staff are amazing at reassuring you, so do give them a call if you're feeling stressed. Don't bottle it up and fret on your own.

Let us know how you get on. Will be thinking of you. Good luck.

Flori
X

Sandra51

Hi Taz

Like Kls I found it very uncomfortable after my core needle biopsy and the only thing I found comfy enough was the Brevia sports bras...my first biopsy showed up inadequate findings so tomorrow morning I am having 2 core biopsies done.. again on the lump and also on a mass they found via ultrasound so Im expecting to feel rather battered and bruised! I definately want my lump removed if its fibroadenoma as its driving me crazy...as for googling Ive done quite well and only used this site...... im not a very patient person in waiting but it seems to be across the board that the waiting is the longest until diagnosis...I can understand you wanting peace of mind.. I think I would be feeling the same...the support from this site is amazing :-))
tazemmiandevil

Thank you Sara and KLS5, you have both helped reassure me, I realised last night that I should probably stop Googling things! This is a really good site, even if you're not chatty and don't post, there's loads of info to read through. Love the photo Sara...!
I am sorry to hear you both got diagnosed with cancer and wish you both well for the future, I hope the treatment hasn't been too awful for you xx
Boob/arm is still sore today, trying different bras as none of the shops around here stock big enough comfy bra's for my 'larger puppies' I'm back to work this evening which I'm not looking forward to as it's quite active so may suggest to my boss that I have a stomach bug and must stay still-ish and near to the coffee machine....
So in your own opinions, which I really value as you have real experience rather than text book knowledge, if this lump 'Murray' I have decided to call him, is a fibroadenoma should I have it removed? I am veering towards having it done although I don't want unnecessary surgery, I feel it may give me peace of mind as if I understand rightly any lumps removed from a person have to be sent off for thorough examination? Also then I will be lump free so will notice if any new lumps were to appear in the future, it's fairly small now, so easier op and less scarring... Or am I being selfish in taking up a hospital bed when there's someone out there really needing it? Sigh.... I don't know.
Flo xx
Kls25

HI flo
sorry your having a rough time, i know how scary the waiting time is.
I had a core biopsy so i know how sore you can be after the test, i found the same discomfort and the only thing i found remotely comfy was a sports bra.
They will have done the biopsy to make sure everything is ok and it is fibroadenoma. The results will be very accurate they wouln't tell you unsure results. my biggest advice is stay well clear from google, its good for some things but it's terrrible for the scare factor, i did the same thing unfortunatley i was diagnosed with the big C.
I know its so hard not to worry this is a very big thing in your life, but trust the professionals they are amazing at what they do and support. the worry will be so much worse when your tired also.
Try not to let this stress you out too much, plus the online community is here to help and support you. Its a hard unsure time but we are here
tazemmiandevil

Ok Sam, thank you x
sara12

Flo, it's only natural to be worried at this stage - it tends to become easier once you have the results and the facts are presented to you.

If they actually said to you that it looks like a fibroadenoma I would say that's a good sign. When I was taken through the results of my mammogram they would only say that my lump looked 'suspicious' but they couldn't confirm anything until they got the biopsy results. Mine did turn out to be cancer, but I had chemo and a lumpectomy and am now having rads and at the moment I'm NED (no evidence of disease).

It sound to me as if your doctor is just being very cautious, which is good news. All being well the biopsy will confirm the diagnosis they gave you. Don't be surprised that the biopsy site hurts. Mine was very painful and I got huge internal bruising - so don't panic if you now feel that your lump is larger - that's just the bruising surrounding it - and my boob went all the colours of the rainbow and took weeks to get back to normal.

A friend of mine had a benign tumour and they said it wouldn't need any treatment unless any changes were noticed. Three years on she did notice a change and they decided to do a lumpectomy, but it was still confirmed as being benign so she didn't need any other treatment afterwards.

I know that your mind will be racing now... waiting for results is always the worst. I think it's good that your doctor is doing such thorough investigation, even though they think it's benign. The core biopsy will be much more accurate than visual diagnosis and hopefully it will set your mind at rest. We have a saying on here 'step away from Google'...! It doesn't do any good as there's a lot of misinformation and scare stories out there. You've done the right thing coming to this site.... BCC provide plenty of accurate info and support and you'll find plenty of support from the people who post here too as we all understand what you're going through. The Macmillan site and Cancer Research UK also have accurate info and in my experience it's best to stick to these three sites.

Good luck.

Sara x

Sam_BCC

Hi Flo

I’m sorry to hear that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime maybe you would like to talk to a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 600 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

tazemmiandevil

Did I need a core biopsy? How accurate are the results? Am I worrying myself sick (Literally) for no reason? and 100 more Q's...

Hi, I found a lump a couple of weeks ago, went straight to GP who seemed suprised to also feel it and reffered me to the breast care clinic. I was hoping it would be diagnosed as a fibroadenoma, I had been poking, prodding, feeling etc.. approx every hour for the entire 2 week waiting period, it was very hard, so not a cyst, sometimes oval, sometimes square, sometimes massive, sometimes small, sometimes smooth, sometimes rough, sigh...the list goes on....

I was examined by the Dr, who then sent me upstairs for a mammogram, I saw the photos, it looked like a white Murray mint inside my boob (quite possible) then I was taken off for a scan. The registrar said it's a fibroadenoma, I'll get the Dr in (The ultrasound scan Dr guy....) and he said 'Oh yes, looks like a fibroadenoma, nothing to worry about' and told the registrar to get 'at least three samples' So then I was told to turn onto my side so they could take a biopsy, there and then... That scared me - I'd just been told it was all fine! My rational side told me that this is good, they're not taking any chances... I asked what they were up to during the whole procedure and found out they were doing a core biopsy, was this necessary? I thought they did the fine needle one if they thought it was all ok?
So now, the next day I can't wear a bra as all of my underwires dig in exactly where they 'went in' and I don't have any 'comfy' bras, I've been in a large amount of pain since the local started to wear off, wasn't expecting this, so used my good friend Google to check on whether this was ok, should it hurt this much or is it me not dealing with it well due to lack of sleep/worry etc...? Google then brings up lots of misdiagnosis information. Great, internet scaring. How accurate is this core biopsy? The Dr said if my lump is a fibroadenoma I can still have it removed... Why would I? Is it in case they are wrong?? Do they test it again if I were to have it out, is having it out the only way to guarantee 100% correct results....?? I'm back to stage one now, where I was at two weeks ago except now I have a load more information in my head to worry about and consider... and I'm still worried it could be the big C. I cannot sleep, I feel sick and have stomach cramps when I try and I'm generally being bloody horrible and disinterested in everything except me, which is not me at all and I hate it.

I'm 36, have three kids and one man shape if that's of any relevance..
Any advice, info, human contact or just plain chat would be much appreciated! Many, many thanks - Flo xx