67.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did you change your diet during chemo-any tips? Anyone use milk thistle?

3 REPLIES 3
Maryland

Re: Did you change your diet during chemo-any tips? Anyone use milk thistle?

Hi.....couldn't agree more with horsie5050....before you do anything different nutrtion wise talk to your team. As she says this is their day job. I read somewhere milk thistle being advocated but if your bc is ER/PR+ then this is strongly discouraged. Purely from experience last year I was told to stop all supplements to avoid any potential risk to chemo effectiveness. Other than that to drink loads and eat what you fancy (following recommendations what not to eat to avoid infection). It is likely that your taste will become affected so really important to eat well and keep your strength up 🙂

Hope your session went well today.....and that you are doing OK? It may be a challenging path during treatment but you will get there. Try to live in the moment and keep a diary so that you know roughly what to expect each cycle and to plan treats (however small) for yourself. You take care x

horsie5050

Haya, I have secondaries in my liver and someone mentioned milk thislte to me a few years back and for the life of me can't remember why my oncologist did NOT recommend it.. But I was on FAC at the time and a different chemo drug to you.
Before you take ANYTHING or take it out of your diet talk to your oncologist or the pharmacist in your oncologiy unit. They are the walking/talking experts on your cancer, your chemo and what is right for YOU. Yes there are natural products which may inhibit your drug working effectively and many which will do you no harm.
Good luck!

Janet_BCC

Dear ambercatz

I thought the thread "Top tips to help you through chemo may be helpful for you. Here is the link:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/forums/top-tips-help-get-you-through-chemotherapy

We also have a publication on complementary therapies which has some information about dietary supplements which may be useful. Here is the link:

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/comp_therapies_bcc55_web.pdf

I hope this helps.

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

ambercatz

Did you change your diet during chemo-any tips? Anyone use milk thistle?

Hi
I am having my first chemo tomorrow and am obviously worried. I was wondering if anyone took any supplements, changed diet etc during chemo and got good results. I am aware there are conta-indications but everything I am reading is linking diet to cancer. I have been taking turmeric but have stopped that during chemo as there may be contra-indications but I am hearing good things about milk thistle for liver protection.
I would appreciate any tips anyone could give. I am going to be given FEC-T-4 of each. I am Grade 3, HER2 negative but that is all I know at the moment. I have it in the lymph nodes too and lump was 3.5 cm when I had biopsy.
I would also like to hear any positives as I have read too much about chemo side effects and have frightened myself silly. I do not even know the results of my scans(body and bone) yet and this is all moving a bit fast. I feel uninformed and on a treadmill and want to take control.
I appreciate any help you can all give me
Thank you