Diep Reconstruction booked!

Hi, I’m booked in for a diep reconstruction on 19th Feb at Queen Victoria in East Grinstead. Does anyone have any tips please?
I’m a 36H and struggling to find bras which will be suitable post op.
Also have three small children so any tips on how I will feel and what I will be able to do afterwards would be great!!

Hi Storm

Whilst you await replies you are welcome to call our helpliners to talk through your queries, they will also be able to put you in touch with someone who has had similar experiences via our ‘One to one support’ which you can read more about here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk/one-one-support

Take care

Lucy

Storm, online you can find wireless sports bras or a bra that is non-wired will do. You will need a few. There is alot of information on the other DIEP threads, so do look around. You will need help at home for the first few weeks after hospital. Do call the helpline,as Lucy suggested. They are life/sanitysavers and will also support you beautifully, just like they did me. This is a copy and paste i wrote on another thread:

DIEP is a journey, at least for me it was. A DIEP is a longer, more complex surgery and the recovery period is longer. I can honestly say, I really was not prepared for the 20 inch, hip-to-hip incision. It was painful and yet, I had no infection or problems. I walked hunched over for about 10 days and forced myself to start standing slowly up. Your stomach will be tight and will have a newly formed tummy button. Mine is now a few inches higher than my last one. I also post-op wore soft trousers (jersey), as my jeans or other stiffer fabric trousers hurt against my hip-to-hip incision. I found Lands End UK has a good selection, that washes and wears well and on sale frequently. You also need compression pants and I bought those at online at Matalans (shape wear - high waisted, Sainsbury carries them as do, TKMaxx and all department stores) in two sizes up from what you normally wear, due to swelling.

I slept on my back for over 8 weeks using many pillows - under my legs and head, sleeping on my back - legs articulated. I took opiate based pain meds for the first 6 weeks (they also helped me get to sleep) and that is about how long it is until you can drive again (if you drive). You also need someone to care for you, at least for the first 2 - 4 weeks. I was in hospital for 6 days and went home with no drains.

My husband worked from home for the next 3 weeks (I have no family in this country and his elderly mother is up north and neither of us desired her help) and got our 13 year old son squared away for school, meals, etc… There was one point my husband wanted to go away for business at week three. I called the helpline at BCC and after he chatted with the kind nurse responder, he changed his mind or rather, she changed his mind about going away at week 3. The first four weeks after DIEP are the most critical because each week builds on the next. It was not, (at least for me), a smooth, straight line of recovery.

I have insurance and have had physio weekly for sometime - the past 5 months. My physio massages my fat-fill breast to help get it soft and also my hip scar. My physo also is helping me to get full range of movement back bacause back at the end of September, I developed a frozen left shoulder. Went to a ortho consult to get that sorted and still more physio.

The thing to remember is that everyone’s experience with surgery is different, everyone’s pro vs. con list is different and everyone’s emotions are different. So don’t think that every experience of DIEP on what someone else did or the experience that someone else had will be how it is for you.

Hello Storm
Bras are a real pain. I am a 40E and was advised to buy sports bras a cup size larger for post DIEP.
Even with fairly substatial tummy fat to play with my new breat is more like D cup and I found it more comfortable to go braless for the first 3 weeks with occasional use of a soft genie type bra. I bought some off ebay with removable pads, which even up the difference in cup size.
My surgery was MX,ANC with DIEP. I am now 4 weeks post op and doing well. Still taking care not to lift too much weight and keeping up the excersise - I do not have full range with my op side arm yet, but the tummy is great.
Message me if you have any particular questions.
Take Care Suzy

Suzy, pleased to read you are doing so well 4 weeks out! LB,x

Hello Storm100, It’s so nice to hear that someone is going in for the same op Diep recon. at the same hospital, East Grinstead, maybe we have the same PS so it will be lovely to read, obviously when you feel up to it after your op on 19th Feb, how things went and how you feel, I know we are all different but it’s a guideline what can be expected. My date is 8th April so a few weeks yet, and pre-assessment is 6th March hope all goes well. Saffronseed has been very helpful, what to take in, is what runs past me, apart from nightwear (button through), but I believe the nurses encourage you to get moving asap, are you at this part of recovering able/expected to put on daywear, sure someone will let me know in time.
Wish you good luck Storm on 19th, take care…BrendaT x

Thanks Lilacblue, just trying to negotiate having chemo in France now, fingers crossed!

Brenda and Storm,
Just a thought, I got my button through short sleeve cotton night shirt/nighties from www.mandco.com
Not expensive and worked a treat for me.
thinking of you both.
Suzy

Hi Storm. I had a delayed diep and stayed in hospital for a week. I was helped up the next day but stayed in hospital gowns and then nighties for the first five days as I had drains and drips and they needed to check the flap often. Once all those were removed I wore my own pj’s. I live on my own and once home I managed fine looking after myself. I started driving after three and a halF weeks. After a few days at home I started taking short walks gradually increasing the length as I felt stronger. By six weeks I was completely back to normal. If you have any questions please pm me.

Suzy, we lived in Paris for 9 years and 'm thinking you are in pretty good hands! Hope all is going well this week,LB,x

Thanks Suzy for the link re: nighties, will check it out…Brenda

Matalan are also good for cheap button down the front nighties. But you may not need them - I stayed in hospital gowns during my stay in hospital - easy access for the nurses and I wasn’t bothered if anything leaked on them!