cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diep date 27th June -encouragement needed please

Highlighted

Re: Diep date 27th June -encouragement needed please

Thank you all for your thoughts and good wishes 🙂

Doesn't everyone have a moved belly button? Mine was moved - bit tight now but looks ok 🙂 - You are braver than I Tinfish - I have not had the courage to get behind the wheel of a car yet! Trouble is the longer I leave it the worse it will be - I know that but I still can't do it! What a coward!

All the best to all 🙂

Liz xx
Highlighted

Hi Liz
I am sorry for your loss, my thoughts are with you and your family.
Re: sex I am not ready yet I know that and to be honest I am frightened as I dont want to rush anything. Idrove my car for the first time since the op just a bit by myself and I realise how much the op has taken out of me, I think I can do more than I can.
Angie: you sound like all is going well for you, I have my mammo before going in hospital on the other breast as their was a chance I was going to have the other one off but decided just to have one done.
Sue: yes bio oil is great, Wilkinsons do their own one which is a lot cheaper and i think the same. I cant wait to get out of the sports bra and support pants but in a steange way I feel comfort wearing them !!!!!!!!!!
Dima: take your time you have had a big op, I am sure in a few weeks time you will feel better. I wish we all lived nearer sass we could visit and encourage face to face. I also had mesh inserted, it helps prevent hernias and I think by talking to my surgeon yesterday its something most use.
Well ladies its really hot here and I am so glad I dont have to wear a prohesis, have a good weekend

L
xxxx

Dani: you sound like you are doing really well, I hope you continue with your positive attitude it really does help. I am so pleased you love your new boobs and your belly button sounds great.

Dani:

Highlighted

So sorry to hear your sad news Liz, my thoughts are with you and his family.

Take care xx

Highlighted

Thanks for your advice Lizdeb - I'm going to phone the physio on Monday and see if I can make an appt on Thursday when I go back to the dressings clinic - the hospital is around an hour away.
I'm really sorry about your brother-in-law. You have my sympathy and I hope you can take some comfort from the fact that so many people thought well of him.
Take care
x

Highlighted

Hi all

Tinfish - sex shouldn't be a problem as Dani says once your boob and tummy say it is ok - I personally did not feel at all that way inclined for the first 10 weeks anyway!
I laughed a bit at you finding pubic hairs on your boob only to discover this morning in the shower that I have them all over my replacement skin ROFL - my OH of course said that it was a very good reason for having a nipple recon HAHA

Beanibaby - how horrid for you - as Dima says it is the one thing that all of us dread getting - I do hope you can get it under control quickly.

Good news on your histology Dani - hope you don't have to have radiology as well after all your treatment!

Dima - sounds like you have had muscle taken as well as fatty tissue so you will have to be a lot more patient as it will take a lot longer to recover. I hope you are wearing your support knickers as you will need them! I was lucky as I did not have to wear mine! If you are in any doubt about how much trying to stand straight you should do talk to your BCN or your Plastic Surgery nurse or even the physio from the hospital if there was one that came to the ward.

I am still having the dressings on my tummy wound changed every other day when I have a shower - I was able to pull the shopping trolley home today for the first time in nearly 13 weeks! (nearly 13 weeks since my SNB nearly 12 since my mx and recon) - every day I feel a bit better 🙂

The sad news for me is that my brother-in-law died on 4th August after 3 years struggle with melanoma mets. We had a Thanksgiving service for him on Thursday and 100s of people were there! Such a lovely fellow - a true gentleman.

Liz xx
Highlighted

PS Dima - I signed a consent from and it stated that if for any reason surgeon would be required to perform any other surgery then he would. I was told prior surgery I would have DIEP/muscle sparing TRAM.
Maybe ask in your next visit why you had full TRAM??
Take care
Dani XX

Highlighted

Hello ladies

Day 11 - Thursday 16th -
Saw my plastic surgeon in clinic who examined me and was happy to see the reconstructed breast was healing well and looking good! I even have a cleavage! Result! Even have a heart shaped tummy button. The wounds on my tummy are healing nicely and have to make sure I take it easy and do the required arm exercises as it is important to get the full range of movement back. My next follow up appointment is in 4 weeks time, 13th September.

On the same day I saw my MX surgeon who is very happy with the pathology report although the Multi Disciplinary Team would be discussing my case next Tuesday he wanted to tell me that there was only 10% of the cancer found left behind in the biopsied tumour after the chemo treatment (90% gone) which was a very good response. Out of the 20 lymph nodes only 1 had a micromet, there wasn't any evidence of any other node being affected in other words no scar tissue found on the nodes.
The histology also confirmed that the skin above the areole was not affected and a 1cm clear margin which meant the skin was spared in surgery.. On Tuesday the MDT (multi disciplinary team) will be discussing whether I will need radiotherapy and in his opinion there was a 50/50 chance on whether I would need it. Again it will be decided by the team however I would prefer not to have any as quite frankly I've had enough and want my life back. My OH knows how I feel but I'm not going to be silly about it and I will have to defer to the experts.
Also confirmed is that I am HER2 receptor negative which is good news indeed. As it means it is not aggressive. However I am ER positive and probably be prescribed Tamoxifen but he did say that I could take a blood test to find out whether I am post menopausal although I was having regular periods before chemo. He also examined my breast and felt a little fluid to the side of it but isn't concerned as I'm not in any pain.
Dressings are changed every day after shower and was advised tobleep them on another week. I am walking upright and not feeling discomfort in the tummy area like I was last Week as the wound felt very tight due to cesarean scar below.
OH doing everything and he's juggling work and looking after me and as I am a complete control freak I want to do things myself but he warns me that it would be foolish to ruin the good work the surgeons have done by trying to do too much too soon...
Beanie - sorry to hear you have lymphedema and hope you are getting the right advice and care. I am also aware that I have to take more care of my arm and it distresses me to think that all my lymph nodes have been taken!
Dima - like you am very impatient but you have to rest as much as possible as it iswary days. Be kind to yourself and above all be PATIENT.
Tinfish - I miss the sex but I would do myself an injury trying it lol! I was told by BCN to wait at least until I felt less tender around the bionic boob and to do it when I felt ready!
I can't waits to ditch the embolism socks!!!!
Love to all
Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi all,
Thanks for all your encouragement. I had a left DIEP and a right reduction and uplift at the same time, and am now 10 days post-op. I was discharged from hospital on Tuesday. I havent been on here since then as I had nothing positive to say and didnt want to discourage anyone, but I'm now getting a little better every day. My boobs are great (cant believe I've got 2!) and causing no problems at all, but my abdomen is really painful and tight, though it's OK if I'm sitting. My biggest problem seems to be that I was fairly slim already before the operation, so not much fat to transfer, and my surgeon has really had to draw my abdomen together very tightly. I believe I have had mesh inserted (I thought that was only done with a TRAM ?). Anyway, slowly but surely I'm moving around a little bit more, but cant imagine I'll ever be able to stand up straight again! Is this normal?? How long did it take to stand straight? Am I being impatient?! Maybe I am. I'm terrible at sitting around at the best of times and cant bear seeing housework that needs to be done, flowers to be changed etc - the things OH wouldnt notice!
Glad you got your op went well Dani - you are 2 days ahead of me I think.
Thinking of you all and hoping you are still making good progress. I'm really sorry to hear of your lymphoedema beaniebaby - something we all dread. I hope it gets dealt with quickly.
Good luck in the sack Tinfish! - it'll be a case of look but dont touch in this house for a long long time I think!
D xxx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Saw my consultant today and he is very pleased with how things are going, I am too!!!
Forgot to ask a couple of questions, my husband had said I had started hoovering and he told me to take it easy and only now to start walking (as exercise) . He stressed to still take things very easy for the next month or so, I am now feeling a lot better in myself and forgot to ask the sex quesion your input would be appreciated!!! I feel a little scared (my OH isnt even talking about it) but i want to be prepared as I am sure it will come up in conversation soon!!!!

L

xx

Highlighted

I've switched from E45 to Bio Oil, and much prefer the Bio Oil. Everything is healing nicely, but it is weird when the odd bit of stitch works its way out!
I'm still in sports bras and support pants 24hrs, but can't wait to ditch them!

Sue x

Highlighted

Hi All,

Nice to get an update Tinfish. I am still doing very well too. Only problem I have is that I have developed Lymphoedema in my arm on my op. side. I am upset and I have an apt. at a Lymphoedema clinic next week. I contacted my breast care nurse as soon as I came out of hospital. I saw my breast surgeon last week for a check up and he is sending me for a MRI scan and I am also due a Mamogram which will be my 2 year check (which I should of had in April) I am sure it is due to the surgery but my breast surgeon likes you to have an MRI scan to be sure.

I am able to do a lot more for myself now as well, I am very glad to say. I didn't like having other people doing things for me.
I am still not able to use the vacumn. Am able to use a soft brush as mostly hard floors any way.
I am itching to get back to the gymn and especially to go swimming. I have a check up with the PS on 5th Sept. which will be exactly 2 months since the op. So i will wait untill then. I am able to drive but mainly because I have an Automatic car so it's easier.

Sleeping now almost back to normal, just having to take care when turning over in bed. At least have ditched all the pillows!
My wound has healed really well and I just have a few popped stitches which they said to leave as they will fall out by themselves. Am glad to say they are slowly one by one. Have started to use cream on my scars too. (E 45)

Well ladies i hope you are all getting better as the time passes. It is 6 weeks since op. for me and I am still really glad I had the op. and pleased with my new boob.

All the best from Angie

Highlighted

PS

On the down side I have had to pluck a couple of dark hairs from my new boob I think they are form you know where but dont seem to be curly !!!!! LOL

L

xx

Highlighted

Hello Ladies

Thought as I had time before dinner I would catch up
Well my new boob is softening nicely still have a small wound but hay ho!! I love it
Went into our local "Works" store to buy some cards and spoke to a lady there no idea how it started but she siad she had had chemo etc and then we got speakling about reconstruction, my Mum brought that up (the one who didnt want me to have it done!!) and she asked me how and where etc I had my done, gave her a short story and told her at this time I feel its been the best thing. My Mum also agreed and could not praise the hospital enough.

Lizdeb:
Thanks for your reply I have also seen another of your post re: nipples and as the others say its up to you, I at the moment am thinking I may have mine done if poss next year.
I will ask my consultant about bra and support pants but am still wearing them day and night!!!! bought some cheap size smaller sports bra from Sainsburys for £5 each and they seem Ok although I do have my Genies for later .
I have been moisturising to an inch of my life so I hope it helps and have just been using E45.
Hope to start driving next week, have been a bit worried re: insurance so am looking forward to driving and getting my independance back.
As my Mum has been doing my ironing for me I hope she will continue for at least another couple of weeks, especially as I hate doing it!!!! every cloud has a silver lining
Also I havent got back to heavy housework and my nurse told us not to rush and my husband keeps reminding me so I am making the most of that too!!! what a lazy B***h I have become

I hope you are all recovering well love to hear your journeys
L
xxxx

Highlighted

Hi Ali

If you would like to give our helpline team here a ring they'll talk to you about how to help with scarring. Calls are free, 0808 800 6000.

Take care

Jo, Facilitator

Highlighted

Hi Ali
Apparently to reduce the scarring it is recommended that you moisturise the scars as soon as they have healed sufficiently. I recommend that you talk to someone - your breast care nurse seems the place to start.

Ladies
Well I spoke too soon! I have slough on my tummy wound again 😞 Back to the medihoney and dressings! 😞

Tinfish

I asked at my 8 week checkup whether I could give up the wearing of a bra at night and the PS Registrar said that I could if it was comfortable - was not recommended before the 8 weeks was up! I found that I needed something so I wear a soft crop top type thing (the ones from ASDA which are advertised - PM me if you want to know which ones) which are more comfortable as they have no fastenings. They are just supportive enough now that I am further away from the op. Hope this is helpful.

Liz xx
Highlighted

What oils and creams???? My surgeon etc haven't mentioned anything about this, what should I be doing please?
Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Back online!
Good to know all went well Dani 🙂 Hope you are getting lots of rest! It is a big op and you need to take it easy!
Glad to hear you are still mending well Tinfish 🙂 Be patient you will be able to do all the things you want to do soon 🙂 Hope you are moisturising your sealed wounds 🙂 I did not start till 8 weeks after the op and got told off! Apparently as soon as the wound is closed over we are supposed to start with the oils and creams!
I am finally clear of all dressings! 🙂 Only taken nearly 11 weeks!!! I can now oil and cream everywhere instead of having to miss bits cos they are not sealed! I almost have full use of my arm too - just having to be patient about the weight restrictions!
Hope your op goes ok Dima 🙂
All the best to all 🙂
Liz xxx
Highlighted

Hi ladies, have never posted before but was so interested to read all your positive comments. I'm due to have diep flap reconstruction on 21st sept and am so terrified! But then part of me can't wait to have this brick ( sorry, implant) taken out of my chest, I truly hate it? I realise it might be tough for a while but has anyone regretted having the op? My family don't want me to have it but I'm so uncomfortable. Would be grateful for your comments
Highlighted

Well done you! Hope you enjoyed your first night in your ownbreed - bliss xx

Highlighted

Hi Dani,
Thats great news. i have been thinking about you all week. So glad you have done so well.
Wish you all the best with you recovery.
Angie x

Highlighted

Hi Dani
Glad it went well and that you are happy!
Sian

Highlighted

Hello lovely ladies

I'm sitting in my hospital room waiting to be discharged! The surgeons are very happy with how the operation went!
I am so happy with the result and I've been told the swelling and soreness will get better.. The surgery has been a success and even have a cleavage!
Thank you for your support and thinking about me.. It means a hell of a lot!
Have on my sexy support pants support bra and support socks.

Hope all is well with all you ladies and send my love and best wishes.
Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi
Just a quick thread to say
Good luck tomorrow Dima

Will add more later
L
xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies,
Sending my very best wishes for Dani Girl. Hope all has gone well for you and you will soon be on the mend. Also sending all the best for Dima for tommorrow. Will be thinking of you all.
A x

Highlighted

To all you lovely ladies
Thank you for all your good wishes it really does mean a lot!
As soon as I am able I will post and let you know how it goes.
Lots of love
Dani XX

Highlighted

Ladies, I'm a bit of lurker. I'm due to have my DIEP in October and have been picking up lots of tips from this thread, thank you!Wishing you all the best for tomorrow Dani. One step further to a pair of fantastic boobs xxxx

Highlighted

Just wanted to say good luck for tomorrow Dani! Xx

Highlighted

Hi Dani
Good luck for tomorrow I know you will be pleased with the results, I am

Almost 5 weeks post op, getting fed up, havent started driving yet (advised by my breast nurse to wait) and being treated like a piece of china!!!!
But love having my new breast, district nurses are coming tomorrow my two small opeings on my breast wounds are healing slowly but are healing so I am pleased.
Have a good Sunday everyone
L
xx

Highlighted

All the best for Monday Dani. I'm going in the day after in preparation for surgery on Weds.
Hope all goes to plan!
x

Highlighted

Hi Danigirl,

Just to wish you all the best for Monday. Enjoy your weekend. Monday will be here and the day will be over before you know it.
Then its onwards and upwards.

All the best to you and all the other ladies.

A x

Highlighted

Hello ladies!

Had pre-op assessment and went well so now am on a count down to Monday 07:30!!!

So scared that I keep getting butterflies in my tummy!
Both surgeons make me feel at ease though and have met some inspirational ladies who have gone through exactly the same journey.. Thank you all for sharing your story, advice and tips.
There's no looking back now and I guess it's just onwards and upwards from here.
Hope you are all well and enjoying Olympics?
Love Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi girls, good to see everyone doing well - and that Dani has a date now.

All's well with me, it's 5 weeks today since surgery (bilateral MX and ANC with immediate DIEP recon) and I feel pretty good. What is odd is how both breasts feel different. The 'bad' one manages to feel numb but tender at the same time, and the armpit also where the nodes were removed. That aside, everything is healing well, just a very small weep now on the tummy scar.

I have meeting with ps in a couple of weeks time to discuss nipples/tattoo's etc, and then, fingers crossed, that should be it! I'm hoping to have this all done by the end of the year.

Sue x

Highlighted

Hi Lisa
All is good thanks, have a couple of little wounds under the breast which weep. I phoned the practice nurse to ask for some more dressings and she was the one who used to come when things went iffy last time and she said she would like to see me so she is coming at 2pm today and she said she would bring or order anything I need. My hospital arnt worried about the the wound and I see my consultant in a couple of weeks time.
I am not driving my breast care nurse told me not too until past 6 weeks so I am doing as I am told and my OH is driving me mad. He is worried I do too much so I only do limited stuff and nothing when he's around!!!!(he is worried as he still remembers last time
My daughter took me shopping today and anything heavy she sorts (so I am getting it from all angles)!!!! at least they care
I dont like being a patient much and as I am feeling better I am getting worse (roll on 6 weeks) 1 1/2 weeks to go!!
I though that about the bra and pants its just the bras are a bit big now as the swelling is going down, I can wait until I see my consultant and see what he says

Hope your keeping well
L
xxx

Highlighted

Hiya, well I didnt have to wear hold em in knickers told me just to wear comfie big ones, I'm still wearing them but not 24 hours, I only wear them until about 8pm. In terms of the bra, I now take it off at night to sleep in but that's it. I do however when I get in from work add an expander so that its a bit more comfie. It's a defo must for at least 6 weeks. To be honest because Im large and one side is larger than the other and having had both done, I wanted to keep supporting it and didnt feel right without it on but now its great to sleep without them. You could maybe get the pj tops that have the little support section in them, i have one and just helps me feel a bit more secure.

How far post op are you now? Are you happy with the results and are you out and about? xx

Highlighted

Hi Ladies
Just need a bit of advice re: bra and pants
After the op when did you stop wearing bras and pants 23-24 hours and how did you decrease the wearing time?
I have been given some advice but I would like to hear from those who have gone through this op

L
xx

Highlighted

Hi Dima
I think most people think the reason your having reconstruction is because they see them as sexual. My sisiter in law said " your OH has seen you with one breast and you have been married donkeys years so why bother" why bother !!!! because I WANT 2 BOOBS

It is scary before the op even going to the hospital I thought shall we turn back, but I havent regretted it at all
Enjoy your shopping for the bras and pants etc.,

Hope everyone else has had a nice weekend
L
xx

Highlighted

Hi everyone,
I'm glad those of you who are post-op are all making good progress and happy with your results so far. It's so reassuring for those of us who are in a state of fear in the run-up to surgery. I have to say I have been questioning why I'm putting myself through it - not helped by other (ignorant) people who tell me I'm having an unnecessary procedure. I think they think I should be grateful to have had life saving surgery (which I am) and accept life with one breast (which I cant). It's good to know I can come onto this site and know everyone is supportive. Thanks for your positivity - I cant tell you how helpful it is.
Thanks for the tips regarding what to take into hospital. I paln to go shopping this week for Bridget Jones knickers, huge bras and frumpy nighties. One day it will be La Senza!
X

Highlighted

Hi Dani! And everyone else...

Had my op and implant two and a half weeks ago....I was worried about it too, but mainly daft things! I needn't have, the nurses etc were all lovely, I was so well looked after...so try not to worry too much, although that's easier said than done!
Don't take too much in with you at first, you won't need much beyond your toothbrush (and they have little toiletry packs if you forget that!). Ask someone to bring your main bag later. I would add magazines (I couldn't concentrate much in hospital, pictures and short articles suited me better) and either ear plugs (lots of night noise on a busy ward) or ear phones to listen to your music when you need to zone out. Oh, and I like the idea of a soft blanket, that would have been a treat!

Good luck xxx

Ps from hospital stays previously I knew what to expect from the food, my OH brought me in a tuna roll for tea after my op, it was delicious!!
Highlighted

Hi L

So good to hear you're healing well and you are happy with DIEP!!
my OH took me away for a week in Kefalonia to celebrate finishing chemo.. Had such a
lovely and relaxing time, even though the heat was pretty scorching.

I'm making the most of the sunshine by having short walks and going to get a pedicure.
I'm also looking at the list Of things I will need for hospital stay and getting anything I need these next few days.
All very scary and real now I have the date booked!
Take care.
Love Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi Everyone
Well its been so hot here the last couple of days havent done anything much bought a couple of support pants because the ones I have seem to loose their white ness (not sure if my OH put them in the wrong wash) but I am loading the washing machine now so hopefully I can keep these ones looking better.
My breast nurse phoned me the other day and told me not to do anything for at least another couple of weeks. I hate not being able to drive and the house is looking OK!!!!!cant afford to get a cleaner in so relying on my OH and others when they can help. My OH does do things but he doesnt think the hoovering etc needs to be done nearly as much as me,I dont have OCD but like the place to be clean.I have been cooking our dinners but he thinks I shouldnt be doing that but he is at work so I think if I do that it is a help.
My wounds are healing now and I only have one weeping a little so I am very pleased with that and if thats all I have to put up with then I am a very happy lady. I love having the new boob especially as it is mine (out of my own skin etc) I can honestly say so soon after the op I wished I had had this op done years ago.
I hope your all doing well, Dani the time will go so quick so enjoy your time before the op go out as much as you can and if possible try and give yourself a couple of treats before you go in. I am so sure you wont regret the op.
Oh well enjoy the sun if you have it and the olympics
L
xx

Highlighted

Thank you ladies for all your advice and tips. I have met so many
Lovely ladies either on this site or at other organisations who have been and are
On the same journey...
It's a Club I'm proud to say I'm part if and is the best club even though the circumstances
Are harsh I think it makes us rethink how we live our lives and how we are with
Others. I say we are blessed to know each other and thank you for being
A good support unit.
I'm afraid of the surgery and at the same time comforted by
the way all you ladies have come through the surgery with so much
positivity.
Thank you again.
Love to all.
Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi All,
To Dani I'm very pleased that you have your operation date. I hope you are recovered from your Chemo. Avery wise move to go on holiday before your op. You should be nice and relaxed. It is a hard thing for me to tell you not to be afraid because I know you will be. But it does get easier day by day. All the ladies that are on here are all at different stages of recovery. It is so useful to read all their posts because it gives you an idea for your recovery.
The only thing I regret not taking into hospital with me is a nice soft, fleecey blanket which I had purchased especially to take into hospital (not too big, just big enough to cover you). I actually forgot to take it and couldn't remember where I had put it (chemo brain!) The hospital blankets were so rough and if you fancied lying on top of your bed would have been nice to cover you with. I have used it several times since coming home, it also rolls up to make a nice rest for my arm on my op. side.
I am so happy for you that you are having an immediate reconstruction because I can honestly say the 2 years I was without my breast were quite difficult. I know it seems a small price to pay to be rid of the cancer but breasts are so much part of feeling a woman. If that makes sense.
Tinfish you sound to be doing so well. Really pleased for you too. I had been on holiday the week previous to my op. and every woman from 16 to 61 seemed to be wearing a bikini. Also they all seemed to be topless and I thought I'm going to do that next time I come here for a holiday. I havent got the perfect figure but what the heck, I'll give it a go!
All the other ladies I'm glad you are all doing so well too. I would like to reply to you all but I know if I go off this page to read all the other posts I will loose my post!!!!!! and it takes me ages to do. Ha.Ha.
Keep up the good work.
All the best
A x

Highlighted

Hi Dani

Great news about the date for your op 🙂 We were all nervous/scared/anxious - I nearly turned tail and ran! - but it is worth it 🙂

There is a list elsewhere on the site but as the search facility is not working I will try and remember all things to take:

Front button short sleeved pyjamas (I found I didn't need a dressing gown as the ward was very warm)
Slippers
Several support bras (not underwired) - they will get grubby
Wet wipes
Lip balm
Shampoo
Disposable flannels are a good idea - I took in a packet of 10 cheap holiday flannels which I could just throw away
Toothbrush
Toothpaste
If you have a lightweight open-topped shoulder bag that you can put your drains in once you are up and about that is a very good idea.
Lightweight reading material - paperback or two or preferably get someone to come on Day 2 with your Kindle if you have one - you wont need it before that!
Mobile phone

Sorry but I can't remember what else - I am sure there was more than that!

Once you are home you will need:
Lots of pillows (as previously discussed in this thread)
Moisturising lotion (to be applied once the wounds have sealed) - I use cocoa butter but anything you normally use will be ok or you can splash out and spoil yourself LOL
Non-scented anti-bacterial soap - I managed to get a prescription for Hibiscrub - you could try asking the hospital to provide it as it is difficult to get the right thing on the high street

Hope this helps - I am sure others will post with other suggestions!

Hi Tinfish
Great news on your wounds 🙂 🙂
I have not told my OH that I am allowed to do the hoovering yet - naughty me! 🙂
May everyone's recovery go well 🙂
Liz x
Highlighted

Hi Dani
All hospitals are differnet to what they supply, I would suggest
  • Open from nighties, although for a couple of days I wore theres (which they preferred). Bought mine from Matalan and M & S, Matalans were about £7-£8.
  • Support pants, they supplied a binder but you will need the pants.
  • I didnt need a fan but I know some do, but again my hospital had them if you needed them
  • Bottle of squash, you need to drink and water can get a bit boring
  • wipes
  • towels, i took these in but again my hospital wanted us to use theres as there wasnt anywhere to dry wet ones and they boil theres, so mine went home (perhaps a good idea to ask at you pre op assessment)
  • change just in case
  • phone charger if you take your mobile in
  • sweets to suck sometimes your throat can feel scratchy after op
  • before you go in you can ask what the hospital suggest you take in (they are all different)
If I can think of anything else i will add them
Yes I am really pleased with the results so far and I am only 4 weeks post op.
Good luck with everything I know you will be pleased with the results, its a shame so many ladies have to go through this.
L
xx

Highlighted

Hi L

Sounds line you're more than pleased with your recon!
Have been away on holiday to Kefalonia and returned yesterday to find
letters confirming pre-op date of 31st July and MX and immediate DIEP on
6th August. Very scared and anxious! Have been undergoing chemo and last treatment was 22nd June.
Are there any tips or advice on what I should take to hospital with me?
Thanks for your help.

Dani XX

Highlighted

Hi Everyone
Went back to the hospital yesterday, and the small leaks from my wound are drying up and healing Yeah!!!!! should be a few more days of dressing and that will be it (a small cost to pay for the op)
The breast nurse phoned me today and I asked her about driving etc and she said "to wait until 6 weeks" before hoovering driving etc.,(bit fed up) but I am not going jeopardise the good work that has been done for waiting another 2 weeks.
Went out today with a neighbour to the garden centre for lunch and a walk around, its good to get out.
Beanie baby: get you buyng a bikini (good on you, GO GIRL!!!), I feel too old to wear one nowwished the rest of my body looked as good as my stomach!!!and boob
Hope your all recovering well

L
XX

Highlighted

Hi all
It is lovely to have 5 minutes to get back to this thread; I have really missed it as it my source or reassurance that I am doing the right thing having a DIEP reconstruction. (Lizdeb, I do have a date; 2nd October)
Work is really busy at the moment and with decorators in at home going on line for some me time has been impossible. On the bright side having not been on this thread for 2 weeks it is lovely to hear how much progress those of you who have had the surgery have made, people are out and about enjoying the sun, sleeping at night and even buying bikinis. Bring it on!
Love to you all

Highlighted

Hi
Dima: Good that you have a date - always easier once you have that and yes the nerves kick in but you will be fine!

Sue: I have problems more with my LNB site than any other scar as far as exercise goes too - really tight but I have just started creaming it with cocoa butter and am hoping that will relax it a bit - if nothing else massaging the cream in will help!

I have seen the PS (well a registrar that I had not ever met before) and he seems happy with my progress and general shape - seems to think my new boob will sag to match the other one - not sure I want that LOL - I would be happy to have 2 unsagging boobs! We spoke a bit about nipple recon and he says he would be happy for it to be done in 3 months or so!! I thought one would have to wait longer than that!!! Still not convinced I want it really but I will probably have it done to keep the OH quiet - he seems to think I will be unhappy if I dont have it done!
I asked about nipple recons getting smaller and needing to be re-done he said that yes with some women that did happen but we wont know whether it will happen with me until the time comes! Apparently it is not the same for everyone - well there's a surprise!!
Hope all is still well with you all and that Tinfish is managing to get out and enjoy the fabulous weather.

Liz x
Highlighted

Wow Beaniebaby, bikini shopping sounds good to me:) I can't wait to get out of these big support knickers - very attractive, not!

The 8th of August will soon come Dima - and don't be scared, if we can do it so can you. And as bb says, any questions then ask away.

Plouging away at my exercises, but the biggest problem I have is the numbness in my armpit from the ANC. It is improving, slowly, but it is noticbile how much stiffer that arm is than the other one.

Hope everyone is well,

Sue xx

Highlighted

Thanks beaniebaby - I'm really grateful. Virtual hand-holding desperately needed!
And what a great feeling for you shopping for bikinis!
Hope those of you recovering from surgery are healing up nicely, getting some sleep, feeling stronger day by day - it sounds like a long haul but hopefully worth it.
D x