Diep flap 2014 still left with dog ears

I had immediate reconstruction following my mastectomy in 2014, i had chemo prior to op and radiotherapy after it. My new breast shrunk after radiotherapy, I saw surgeon in January 2015 and was told he would put me on waiting list to have fat liposuction into breast and would most probably use the dog ear I’m left with as well as fat from hips.

I’ve phoned secretary a few times but keep being told I’m still on list but my surgery isn’t a priority, which I do understand but the way my stomach, more than anything, looks is getting me down. I’ve worked hard and have lost quite a bit of weight but can’t wear nice things as my breast is disappearing (I do wear prothesis which I thought would be temporary) and stomach is just horrible.

I feel as if I’m being ungrateful as the surgery did save my life but just want to feel better about how i look.

Has anyone had to wait this long? Any suggestions about getting closer to getting surgery or am I being ungrateful?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Thank you for sharing your story. I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita