67.8K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diet during and after treatment??? Dairy free??

5 REPLIES 5
SARN66

Re: Diet during and after treatment??? Dairy free??

Hi June, 

Thanks for your reply.  Yes I totally agree that life is for living and so I am trying to make every day count, i refuse to be miserable and wallow in self pity.  I am lucky compared to others with bc.  I feel a bit more chilled about the whole diet thing, a couple of weeks ago I was desperately trying to find a reason or a cure for this cancer and blaming myself and my diet for it!  I realise now that I have nothing to feel quilty about but will continue to have a healthy but varied diet.  I want to give myself the best chance possible but still want to enjoy life.

Regards,

Sandra 

catchpole

Hi Sarn,

I like you was the healthiest person going, never smoked, walked all time, had very healthy diet , never even had a macdonaldslol, yes im in age range for it, 60s but i never felt over 60 or im told look it, and n oone in my family had cancer,they all;long living, my dad died at 98 of old age.In fact when i was diagnosed my 49 year old friend said god you are healthier than me. But it still happened, i was on HRT for many many years, too long i was told, but my mum who lived to 82 had osteoporosis badly that was worried me never cancer, and thats why i stayed on it so long, but i thought ok there was a risk but my others were so low, i didnt consider id ever get cancer but i did.  So agree it can happen to anyone. Only good thing i think is if you are healthy otherwise it must help you recover quicker.  Ive never felt ill once, and ,a told now how well i look.Bumped into and old colleague today who didnt know id had BC and she said god  you look younger every time i see youlol

My friend who had ovarian same time as I BC, also a healthy type person, non smoker, went to gym etc, but does have gene in her family, went to a group of cancer recovrees,  She left before end she said it depressed her, they went on and on about what shouldnt eat, were shocked when she said she still drank wine, she wondered what the hell they they lived on, as they seem to have given up all enjoyment of food. or life  Surely that isnt living, and dont think i could be that obsessed, life is to be lived, cancer teaches you that June

SARN66

Thank you for your replies, its interesting to hear other views.  Before I was diagnosed with bc I drank lots of skimmed milk and lived off of low fat and no fat yoghurts so when I read prof plants research I thought that maybe this had increased my risk of getting bc.

I found it difficult to accept I had bc when I lived such a healthy lifestyle (or so I thought) I dont smoke, hardly drink any alcohol, walk the dog everyday, try to keep my weight within healthy bmi range, get lots of sleep and try and stick to a low fat diet..... but I guess cancer can be indiscriminate and so maybe I should stop punishing myself and just get on with my life the best way I can.

Thanks again

Sandra

chascat

Jane Plant is very controversial unfortunately, and she did also have conventional treatment. When I was diagnosed 3 years ago I bought every book going on diet and cancer but when I went on the BCC Younger Women's weekend we were told on that by one of the speakers (sorry, can't remember who) that there was no evidence whatsoever to show that dairy contributes to BC, despite there being thousands of studies into it, however, she did say that there were some highly credible studies which showed that dairy was indeed beneficial in helping to prevent BC and not he other way round. Catokitty is correct in that our dairy cows aren't given any hormones, unlike in the States. I take all of these diet claims with a pinch of salt, I've known life long vegans with a very healthy plant based diet who have had cancer and not survived and I don't like the idea of somebody trying to "blame" me for having cancer due to my diet, cancer is indiscriminate. My own personal opinion is that a healthy balanced diet is the best way forward. Wishing you well with your treatment, take care CC x

catokitty

Hi I read somewhere (sorry not sure where) that not eating dairy is more relevant to the US because of the higher amounts of hormones that are fed to the dairy herds to raise milk production there.  Not sure how accurate this is though.   I am sticking to a reasonably low fat diet post surgery and treatment but still eat some half fat butter and a very small amount of cheese so I get enough calcium.  

SARN66

Diet during and after treatment??? Dairy free??

3wk to go until I start treatment for bc.  I have been reading up on diet and the effects on breast cancer.  There has been some research by a Professor Jane Plant on a dairy free diet and how it can help prevent the return of cancer.  She too has lived through bc.  Anybody any advice, opinions or knowledge regarding best diet to follow??  All research backs up the need for a diet low in saturated fat which is good advice for everyone but other than that the research seems inconclusive.

Thanks

Sandra