1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dieting?

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Dieting?

Please dont worry about dieting whilst going through chemo, I put on nearly 2 stones on FEC-T I finished in July and have so far managed to lose about 12lbs but it is really hard going as on Tamoxifen and like Sandytoes I treat myself occasionally as Ive been through enough already without starving myself of all luxuries you really will lose the weight once treatment stops but for the moment enjoy tasty things to help you get through it, also light exercise when you can really helps with health and moods as well I found

Good luck with your treatment

Janice x

Blimey, I'm already nearly 3stone overweight. Exercise is difficult for me due to RA, so I dread to think what I'll look like eventually!!

That's been really helpful ladies. I shall just try and look after myself and not get too hung up on my weight.
Best wishes
Sarah
Guest user
Not applicable

Halfway! Huzzah!!

I was also told to be careful about dieting during chemo and radiotherapy as your body needs energy. I piled on SO much weight (YUCK!). It wont hurt to eat as healthily as you can - lots of veggies and fruit - but don't do silly diets that starve your body of carbs and calories. And maybe do a bit more exercise if you feel up to it.

I finished treatment 11 months ago and have lost about a stone on Weightwatchers - but it's been a slow process due to Tamoxifen and also treating myself! (I didn't go through all of that treatment to survive on lettuce leaves!).

More important to keep yourself energised throughout treatment and concentrate on losing it afterwards...

http://chemoforbeginners.com/2012/11/20/weighty-issues/

x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Sarah!
I think the body needs a lot of energy to fight the chemo - I gained 8lb over 6 FEC chemos, and I think I would have gained a lot more had I not been having treatment - I had no exercise for 4 months and ate badly for the last 2 months!

I reckon being 'careful' is OK - but do make sure you don't lose weight overall.

All the medics told me I could eat anything I wanted, but I suspect that is to make things less stressful for the patient. Some find they cannot eat on chemo - and they need to make sure they eat high calorie foods. I was the opposite and was ravenous the whole time. I did make a bit of an effort to eat healthily, but after boredom set in I allowed myself rather too many treats. I don't regret the weight gain, I know I needed to cheer myself up and I think I did quite well gaining only 8 pounds.
Peg

Hi sleslieuk,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you fellow forum users will be along shortly to share their experiences and offer support. As a new user your first few posts are read and checked by a moderator before going live on the forums, this sometimes causes a delay between our shifts. Sorry for any inconvenience or confusion this may have caused you.

I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication regarding diet, I hope you find it helpful.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/health-wellbeing/diet-breast-cancer-bcc98

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Dieting?

Hi all
This is my third time of trying to post this so if it comes out in triplicate - apologies! I do find this forum a bit hit and miss when posting.
I am halfway through chemo - done 3 FEC now. Not too bad after a few days. I was rather alarmed to see I'd put on about 10lbs in weight since DX in October. I had been the fittest I'd ever been prior to that doing loads of exercise.
Would it be OK to do Weight Watchers do you think?
Best wishes
Sarah