Different brands of Tamoxifen.

I have seen this on a couple of threads but thought I would just put this here as its quite interesting. I am going to doctors tomorrow for my repeat pescription, I have only been on Tamoxifen for 2 months. I have horrendous hot flushes so not sleeping well and ache all over and weight gain. I have read with interest all the thoughts on different brands for different SEs . I am on wockhardt at the moment, they stock mylan and usually one more brand. I can always order others

Anyhow I have just popped into my local Lloyds chemist and asked what they prescribe. I can’t remember now the brand but we got talking about it and she agreed that it does make a difference. She did say that from talking to clients that the ones with a green backing on tablet usually are better. She did say everyone is different though and I should ask my doctor for 2 prescriptions so I can try different ones for a couple of weeks each to see which is best for me. It was so nice to have a good phamacist that is willing to explain everything and agree with what most have been saying on here. 

What experiences do you all have with different brands?

Afternoon Nikif

I had Wockhardt first, agony on the joints / horrendous hot flushes.  Tried a few others and ended up on TEVA.  I know that generally side effects reduce with time but TEVA was definately kinder to me on the side effects.  I have now changed to Letrazole and also have TEVA on that one. 

Take Care  Butterfly x

Hi everyone,

Barbie i too have been on tamox since May and have been on Citalopram when first diagnosed back in Jan 15. That little wonder pill citalopram is fab. I have had no side effects and my on s put it down to the Citalopram. As for drinking i have found I am fine with alcohol as are many of my friends who are on Citalopram. Try a few drinks and see how you get on. I thought that too bang goes my social life but no its fine. Sending you all hugs xxxxx

I swear by Teva brand and also got accupunture to prevent hot flushes none as yet and i’ve now had 2 monthly injections of Zoladex too which puts you straight into menopause. My hormones all over the place and feel a bit tearful but my libido is fine and no se’s as yet! Fingers crossed. Accupunture is fab though got my sessions at the hospital.

Hi all

ive just started on tamoxifen, in the last 2 weeks.  When do the side effects normally start.  I’m getting hot flushes during the night and gaining weight but I also started both while on chemo especially the last 3 doxetaxol.  I’m not sure what’s se from tamoxifen and what’s still chemo!

its so annoying that everything we get has a Wright gain se x

Hi Lambo i was told se’s from Tamox would start in first six months. Ive been on it since May 2015. I dont get any side effects but my oncs said that the anti depressant i’m on Citalopram stops the side effects. I’m also having accunpunture at the hospital for fatigue and menopausal symptoms from hormone therapy. It works!!! Hope that helps xxx

Thanks for this thread ladies.  I am on wockhardt.  Hot flushes make my hair (newly growing!) wet most of the time!  Ordered Teva to try, and they also offered Genesis.  Will my doctor happily give me another perscription so that I can try a couple of brands?  

Melanie x