cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different makes of Letrazole

33 REPLIES 33
catokitty

Re: Different makes of Letrazole

I find Cipla gives me a very dry mouth especially at night. I drink a lot of water early in the evening which seems to help. I am okay with other brands like Accord and Sun Pharma.

vw03

Janet,  thank you SO much for letting me know there are several types of Letrozole.  I take Tevla and for 3 years, there were no side effects.  Now I have a very dry mouth, which makes it difficult to swallow.  Has anyone heard of this side effect?  Vicki.....

vw03

I have been taking Letrozole (Teva) for three years, and no side effects until recently.  My mouth is very dry, which makes it hard to swallow.  Has anyone had this side effect?  

@eileen728 wrote:
Thanks Janet - that's helpful and I will try to do that. Cipra seemed to make me more achey generally but as I only took Accord for month 1 not sure if any side effects would have kicked in. Only on day 3 of Teva now so we' ll see. As long as they do their job I'm prepared to put up with the side effects though I do realise some people seem to have a tough time on these little pills! Hope you are continuing to keep well. Eileen xx

Herecomessummer

It will be interesting to find out how you get on with the accord brand. Hope the rash gets better! I think I will try the Sandoz Brand next if I can get it! 

rosie14

I have had the rash several months I only started the accord yesterday I was taking femera previously!
Herecomessummer

My rash started on top of one foot, then on elbows and now it's on my arms, neck , shoulders, hips and behind my knees. Trying not to scratch but it's so itchy, especially at night. Like you I'm not sure what's really causing it but reluctant to start the Accord brand of Letrozole if it's going to make things worse. How long after you started taking the Accord brand did the rash appear?

rosie14

I have been taking Letrozole for a year now and I was given Femera. ( I live in Cyprus) I am still having herceptin intravenously too! On Tuesday when I went to the Oncology Centre I collected my prescription. I understood that the pharmacist was asking where the Femera was and the other one replied in the drawer. He got 2 packets out which I didn't recognise they are Accord!!! He assured me they were Femera!😁
Where is your rash? I have an itchy patchy red and flakey rash on my ankle. I now have a patch on my toe too! It's difficult to know whether it's the Letrozole or the herceptin causing it?😕
Herecomessummer

I've been on Letrozole (Cipla Brand) since June this year. Getting aching joints etc which could put up with, but now have got a really itchy rash, think it's Hives. My BCCN thinks it could be the letrozole and wants me to stop it for a few weeks to see. I don't want to risk this so wondered about changing brands. Just got repeat prescription with Accord Brand but after reading latest thread I'm worried I'll just make worse with this brand. Maybe the Sandoz brand would have been better??. Still getting Herceptin intravenously too...7 still to go. Can anyone advise what's the best brand to avoid getting rash??

waveylocks

Just a little update -since switching to Sandoz the diarohea, cystitus and skin rash have disappeared. Still running to the loo more often then I should but much more tolerable. Interestingly enogh when I looke up side effects of Tartrzine they were the same as mine!! Tartrazine is a colour ant used in the brandAccord but isn't in Sandoz. My GP said the fillers can affect people in different ways and she said I had definately reaction to the ones in Accord. So worth trying out different brands to minimise side effects. My GP writes Sandoz on my prescription so pharmacist knows.
Suziex

Thanks Butterfly I will get started and see if they help x

Butterfly318

Evening Suziex

I stopped all vitamins glocosamne etc when on Chemo.  After all my treatment i spoke with Onc who prescribed Tamoxifen and he said it was fine to start them again.  I take Glucosamine and Chondroitin together also omega 3 / Krill oil.  I know about it if i forget the Glucosamine.  Hope this is helpful.

Take Care  Gilly x

ollisj6

Hi susie I take effervescent osteocare and I find they really help holland and Barrett have them one a day love judi

Suziex

Hi does anyone know if it is safe to Glucosamine for achy joints whilst on Letrozole?

ollisj6

Hi susie I've only been on it since March and I have been experiencing the same I also have such achy joints as well love Judi

Suziex

Hi
Does anyone suffer with breast pain and under arm pain whilst taking letrozole I am five years down the line now after DCIS and just wondered if I should have the pain checked x

Magical_Moon

Hello Chrisalex,
You have had a difficult time on hormone therapy with those terrible side effects. Like you, I have had awful side effects with my hormone therapy. No dizziness but my quality of life has been significantly reduced by severe chronic joints pain. My hand joints and hips are the worst. I've often thought about stopping hormone therapy to get rid of the constant pain. It has worn me down the past 20 months.
When I spoke to my breast surgeon she advised me to try and stick it out for two years if I can because that is the most crucial time for a possible recurrence. Although I believe a recurrence is more akin to a lottery. I see you managed to last two and half years which is worthy of a medal. 🙂
I am coming up to my two years in October and will make a decision then whether to carry on with hormone therapy after the results of my annual mammogram. Like you, I want to regain a decent quality of life.
Wishing you all the very best and happier days without Letrozole.
M x
Matty2

Hi Tweeks

You can always ask (insist) on having a different brand. I felt really ill on Accord, hair falling out, itchy, sore mouth and severe pains in my legs and arms and was permanently on pain killers

. I started to take a different brand (Teva in my case) and within days the symptoms had stopped, still get achey joints and my skin is dyrer but apart from that so very much better.

You may have seen on another thread where I had an argument with my local chemist about the brand and it is now noted on my records NOT Accord

As someone else said it's the quality of life.

Incidently I was also recommended by a hairdresser to try Dove Pro AGe shampoo - a bit pricey but it has made a lot of difference to the feel of my hair as well. It is now thicker as well as it is growing back

Berylx

tweeks123

Hi chrisalex
wow nice to hear from someone who stopped taking the tabs..in halfway through my Rads now and on monday I see my oncologist so fingets crossed in gonna ask if ok to stop taking them im feeling fine apart from the tabs sure you take tablets to make you feel better not in my case im only on my second month but haye taking them I will let you know what he says on monday thanks for the reply xx

christine .
chrisalex

Hi Christine

Yes, I stopped taking them altogether.  I had already made up my mind but made an appt to see oncologist and surgeon before I stopped taking them.  I was interested in any data on percentages and it seemed to me that the benefits of staying on outweighed the effects it was having on me.  Not sure if that makes any sense - I suppose I mean I prefer the quality of life to the possibility of extending my life.  Anyway, it will take at least 6 months before the effect of the drug has left my body.  Hands still stiff but I think they are improving.

I hope this has helped.  Let me know how you get on.  Regards Chris

tweeks123

Hi chrisalex.
when yoy say you stopped taking Letrozole did you change for another brand of tablets or just stopped taking tablets? I hate taking these Letrozole im feeling sick dizzy and aching hair thinning just wish I could stop taking them..x

christine .
chrisalex

Hi Ladies

I was on Letrazole for 2 and half years and have recently stopped taking them.  During that time I was very giddy, even turning over in bed would make the room spin, and my right hand is so stiff that it is difficult to move it first thing in the mornings.  I have been told by my surgeon that it may take a good 6 months before I see an improvement in my hand joints.  Has anyone else had similar problems I wonder.  Regards Chris

waveylocks

Great to find this thread -I've only been in Letrozole for just over month and was initially given Accord -pharmacist has told me Cipla is popular with patients so am giving it a go. I've had about of diarrhoea, swollen feet and now cystitis (for the first time in decades!!) but I know am early on in treatment for effects to kick in.
Fillers, coatings and the way tablets are pressed can make a difference -already been round this one as I take meds for an underactive thyroid and only did well when I went onto a tablet with natural fillers. Don't think that is an option with this type of med unfortunately....I read on another thread that tartrazine (102) was causing side effects for some people.
Matty2

What an expensive drug - I can now see why we get other forms of it.

I went for a another prescription today to find it was Accord. I explained that it didn't suit me so they have ordered Teva and pointed out I need to see GP so it doesn't happen again. It helped that pharmacist said her husband is careful with his drugs (guess not Anastrizole) as he has different side effects for different brands - thank goodness she understood

Thing is I wouldn't mind trying another brand as well just to see if side effects are even less than onTeva

Murphy1963

I've been on generic letrozole since I started in January and have had really achey hands (fingers) and extremely achey feet. After some research I asked my GP to prescribe me femara and have started taking them today. Fingers crossed I get some relief from these tabs as the pain is really getting to me, and I am so stiff if I've been sitting for even a short time and need to get up, I walk like a zombie!! I asked my pharmacist the price of these tabs - £4.20 for the generic ones and £84.86 for femara brand!!! Fingers and toes crossed they work xxx
Matty2

I take Teva and far fewer side effects than Accord and have now had 2 prescriptions of it.

I'm sticking to it unless I find that pharmacy gives me a make that is even better.

I know not to have Accord

B

Jam

Teva is the one I avoid gave me awful aches in knees and hands Cipra is ok for me on sandoz this month and have few aches in hands but not a lot. So don't suffer the bad ones you don't have to. x Janet x
eileen728

Thanks Janet - that's helpful and I will try to do that. Cipra seemed to make me more achey generally but as I only took Accord for month 1 not sure if any side effects would have kicked in. Only on day 3 of Teva now so we' ll see. As long as they do their job I'm prepared to put up with the side effects though I do realise some people seem to have a tough time on these little pills! Hope you are continuing to keep well. Eileen xx
Jam

Hi ladies I've been on letrozole nearly 2 years now. Every make has different side effects. Make a note of symptoms with each brand (you will know within a few days usually) some have made my joints ache more. Every person is different so find what's right for you then let your pharmacy know and they will try and get what's suitable for you. Hope this helps x Janet x
eileen728

Hi all,
I have so far had 3 prescriptions for Letrozole and they are ALL different brands.Thinking of maybe starting to collect the boxes - like stamps - and aim for a full set. Virtual bingo anyone?? xxx
Matty2

Hi Chezz

Ups and Downs like us all.

just posted on your Marching onwards thread as felt the need to off load a little.

How are you and everyone else I met??

Thinking of you

Beryl x

Chez666

Beryl,,hi how you you doing ? X x
Blossom64

Thanks it's my first prescription for them so will want to try on stay on same ones to see side effects over the month ?
Matty2

As different makes can have different effects perhaps you should check first.

Which one do you usually have?

Blossom64

Different makes of Letrazole

Have collected my prescription today for the above and have 14 tablets from Sandoz and 14 from Zentiva is this okay / does it mattet ? or should I go back and get all the same or check with my doctor / hospital? Thanks