Difficult times

After the nightmare of diagnosis in July, surgery and radiotherapy, followed by relationship breakdown and housing difficulties (am still living with ex and waiting to move into rented house), this week topped it all. My darling son Ethan was knocked down by a car on his way to school on Wednesday morning. Every parent’s worst nightmare…a phone call from a stranger saying your child has been in an accident and "seems ok, appears to be breathing ".

Driving to children’s A&E, every kind of horrible thought filled my head. It turned out that Ethan had suffered breaks to his right arm and leg, plus cuts to his face and head. His leg break was complicated and required surgery. He cannot use crutches due to the broken arm so is in a wheelchair. We have come home today but he is very drowsy and nauseous due to all the medication he has had. Poor lad feels very ashamed (the accident was his own fault really, as he didn’t wait for the “green man” and ran out, desperate to catch the bus to get to school on time) and thinks he’s ruined Christmas for everyone.

Everyone, please treasure your nearest and dearest. Remind your youngsters to take care on the roads, especially in this weather and darkness. I feel really shaken that two such horrible things could befall our family in the space of 6 months.

Love to you all and your families

Anna xx

Oh Anna, what an awful thing to happen - so sorry that he’s been badly injured and not feeling great, but hugely relieved it wasn’t so much worse. I hope Ethan begins to feel a lot better soon and that you both still manage to have a good Christmas - next year has to be an improvement for lots of us.

Take care
Lesley xx

Hi Annalou
what a lousy end to the year for you all. Tell Ethan these things happen, poor little honey!Hope he soon feels OK.
hope you all start to feel better soon and are able to have a warm and happy christmas. things will hopefully start to feel better soon
take care
Monica xxx

Oh Anna,what an awful thing to happen after all you have been through.
Poor wee lamb,give him a big hug and tell him everythings OK.
Heres one for you(((((((((((((((((((((())))))))))))))))))))))))))
You and your son will have a better 2010!
Heres to 2010 and a better year for all of us
Love
Dot
xxx

awh Anna, my heart goes out to you, anything happening your child is everyones nightmare.

you will have a lovely christmas as you will all be together and thats really all that matters

take care honey, sending you a very large hug

love

Carol xxx

Anna, have sent you a PM hun

Shenagh xxx

Thanks everyone, he is much brighter today (although constipated and will not try to use bed pan !)

He is happy to be home and have his laptop, Playstation etc, although disappointed he cannot go out sledging and playing in the snow.

I am going to make sure we all have a fantastic Christmas , although God only knows when I’ll get my shopping finished !( we’re virtually snowed in.)

Thanks again for all the messages of support, they really cheered me up.

Love and hugs

Anna xx

When my son broke a leg when he was 10 he felt just the same about a bedpan.There were two solutions-depending on weight etc.
1]Keep a stool in the bathroom so he can be carried/wheeled to toilet and left with his leg on the stool.Give him a packet of moist toilet wipes and leave him alone till he has done[door open with you in earshot].
2]The Red Cross will lend you a commode to keep beside the bed.Again you may need a stool.The pot has a lid.If there is a little water and Dettol in the pot you can put the lid on and take him to the toilet where either he or you can empty it and you can clean it.
We found method 1 was preferred but 2 was acceptable in the early days.
I hope you have a special Christmas with him and that he will soon be healed.
Love Vx

Thanks Horace,
we did order a commode from the Red Cross, but as yet there is no sign of it ! Maybe they have had trouble getting through the snow ?

We managed to get him to the loo in his wheelchair and the “job” has now been done several times !

He is now “bum-shuffling” himself around the house and doing very well considering his right arm is also broken. Have also managed to attend hospital appointment today to get his cast changed for a lighter one and have x-rays etc. Everything going well…!

Merry Christmas all !!

Anna xx

Oh, Anna. How dreadful! I am so sorry!

I do so hope Ethan and the rest of you are starting to recover. I have been so wrapped up with my own problems - snow/ice on very steep drive, etc, and had no idea this was happening to you.

Have the best Christmas you possibly can and my love goes out to you all.

Love Ann xxx

Hello Anna, I have just come across this thread and am so sorry to hear about your son’s accident…but it could have been worse. It makes you realise what and who is important in your life. I am sorry you have had a problem getting equiptmant to help him out.
I remember in the 1950’s going to my grandparent’s house in DDevon which had no loo just a shed outside with a dry loo and newspaper on a string on the wall! I didn’t go to the loo for the whole holiday and ended up constipated! But I think Val’s (Horace) suggestion was good. I do a similar thing in our downstairs loo for my 83 year old Mum.
Hope you cope with the extra work. He had a lucky escape. So don’t be too hard on him or yourself…he is safe now.
Much love coming your way, love ( the other Val) Val XX

Thanks Val and Ann for your lovely comments…:slight_smile:

Ethan is doing really well and has stopped being cross with himself. Also managing the loo really well and is no longer constipated. He has gone all day today without painkillers too.

I now give thanks for the A61 queue through Woodseats ( where his accident happened). Traffic hardly ever goes at more than 20 mph through this busy shopping street and this probably saved his life ( if you see what I mean). So now instead of cursing the aforementioned queue every time I am stuck in it, I will pause and think of my children and how important they are to me.

Anyway, a million things still to do ( including trying to wash Ethan’s hair !) so better go

Have a lovely Christmas everyone

Anna xxx